Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But I thought you were living outside the United States for now...
American citizens must pay income taxes no matter where they live in the world.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Why are you even worried about this? I thought you said Obama was just pandering and nothing is really going to happen with his new announcement.
Obama is pandering. And, it is indeed possible this will never come to fruition. After all, the last I heard, Dreamies can expect to wait until February before work permits are issued. Well after the election.

In any case, even if they are only going through the motions, taxpayers will still foot the bill. I have been involved with several government rollout projects, so I know the process. I also know it is quite expensive, not to mention, extremely wasteful. This type of project doesn't happen overnight. Much preparation is required, and it certainly isn't free. Heck, consultants alone, at a minimum, will charge $80/hr. In addition, there will be multiple government contractors and subcontractors. This is a monumental project, which will cost taxpayers a bundle. In fact, it already has.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The processing backlogs seem to be under control now, not anywhere near the lengthy waits of several years ago. FWIW, the I-765 (petition for a non-immigrant to receive work authorization) is one of the few USCIS forms that must be completed within 90 days. Of course that can lead to them coming close to the time limit, and rejecting or denying just to get it out of the way.
An official from USCIS speaking on C-SPAN begs to differ. According to her, they are so backlogged they can't even begin to see the light. I do find it interesting that they would make illegals a priority over legal applicants. But, what's new?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,206,442 times
More american citizens are without jobs since the great depression and the president picks NOW as the time to open up millions of jobs to illegal aliens......I will not vote for him again. He is giving OUR country away one job at a time.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
An official from USCIS speaking on C-SPAN begs to differ. According to her, they are so backlogged they can't even begin to see the light. I do find it interesting that they would make illegals a priority over legal applicants. But, what's new?

I as usual agree with everything you say. Exactly what's new, but with no surprises.

Interesting that this administration, would come to make illegals a priority.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I as usual agree with everything you say. Exactly what's new, but with no surprises.

Interesting that this administration, would come to make illegals a priority.
A round about way in bringing his 2008 campaign promise to reality.
"A path to citizenship". If you can work within the law then work around it.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,750,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Obama is pandering. And, it is indeed possible this will never come to fruition. After all, the last I heard, Dreamies can expect to wait until February before work permits are issued. Well after the election.

In any case, even if they are only going through the motions, taxpayers will still foot the bill. I have been involved with several government rollout projects, so I know the process. I also know it is quite expensive, not to mention, extremely wasteful. This type of project doesn't happen overnight. Much preparation is required, and it certainly isn't free. Heck, consultants alone, at a minimum, will charge $80/hr. In addition, there will be multiple government contractors and subcontractors. This is a monumental project, which will cost taxpayers a bundle. In fact, it already has.
I doubt they are going through the motions after all the things you describe has to take place for a program like that to be implemented. Some of these kids have been waiting all their lives for an opportunity like this. Do you really think it matters if they have to wait till February to get a work permit?

Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
But I thought you were living outside the United States for now...
Yes I am. That doesn't mean I'm exempt from paying taxes, unlike 2/3s of the illegals in the US who don't. Oh wait they do........................city tax. Do you work and pay taxes or are you on a government program (Disability?)?

The IRS/government looks closer at me - and I don't get a refund - while ignoring the 5 illegals - each who get a refund - who operate under one social security number.

Last edited by softblueyz; 07-26-2012 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Do you really think it matters if they have to wait till February to get a work permit?
They may get their work permit the same way Obama promised to create 7 million jobs when campaigning in 2008. Still waiting...................... He gave alot of people "hope" and he got the vote in exchange. Could this be just another "hope" promise to get the vote? Another "promise" that he will not be able to pull off if he get's re-elected? He seems to think that he doesn't have to answer to anyone. He's quite the one man show who makes up the rules, disregards the rules/laws, revises the rules/laws, applies the rules/laws when it serves his agenda.

Funny how he isn't addressing his failure to create those 7 million jobs while campaigning. I wish someone would remember that "promise" and ask him what happened to those 7 million jobs.

Last edited by softblueyz; 07-26-2012 at 06:24 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I doubt they are going through the motions after all the things you describe has to take place for a program like that to be implemented. Some of these kids have been waiting all their lives for an opportunity like this. Do you really think it matters if they have to wait till February to get a work permit?
Don't make me laugh. Obviously, you have no idea how many government projects never see the light of day, after spending millions. But, consultants and contractors certainly don't mind. After all, we are paid regardless, and generally more if the project is canceled. While it is certainly rewarding to contribute to the successful completion of a major project, in my opinion, even when scrapped, it is still a valuable experience.

Of course, you could be right. Dreamies may ultimately receive work permits. However, given our economy, they may discover their work permit is nothing but a useless piece of paper. After all, we now have countless numbers of recent college grads unable to find jobs. Or, they may even learn they've been duped, and will receive nothing. Only time will tell. But, please don't fool yourself into believing this MUST come to fruition, simply because to do otherwise would be a waste of tax dollars. It's no secret the Feds don't give a damn about squandering taxpayers' money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration