Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Mitt Romney was born in this country and isn't culturally Hispanic so how is he one of their own? Even genetically he isn't white Spaniard and has no Native Indian blood. His native language is English. I don't get the connection at all even though his father was born in Mexico. His father George was the govenor of Michigan and would have to have been a U.S. citizen to be able to hold political office here.
You do not have to have Mexican Indian blood to be a hispanic -- many hispanics are pure European, many have pure African roots. Mexican isn't a race, it's a citizenship of a country of Mexico. His ancestors were citizens of Mexico.

Vicente Fox himself had a grandfather who was born in the USA and he was president of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:37 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; there's NO "Hispanic" race and some are of English or Irish family which make La Raza mad. George DID try for for POTUS in 1968; had he got the nod, he being born in Mexico would've opened up a can of worms.
I realize that there are those of Mexican nationality whose ancestors were from Ireland, England, etc. My point was that most Mexicans have Spanish and indigenous blood (which is race) and Mitt has neither and he isn't Hispanic culturally either. I hope I have made that clearer for you.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Mitt Romney was born in this country and isn't culturally Hispanic so how is he one of their own? Even genetically he isn't white Spaniard and has no Native Indian blood. His native language is English. I don't get the connection at all even though his father was born in Mexico. His father George was the govenor of Michigan and would have to have been a U.S. citizen to be able to hold political office here.
I'm sorry, but his father is Mexican which at least makes him a Mexican-American (which of course is nothing to be ashamed of). As his father is Mexican we must see a birth certificate, LONG FORM, to prove Mitt's citizenship and eligibility to run for president.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm sorry, but his father is Mexican which at least makes him a Mexican-American (which of course is nothing to be ashamed of). As his father is Mexican we must see a birth certificate, LONG FORM, to prove Mitt's citizenship and eligibility to run for president.
Agreed. Mitt's just as Hispanic as Jeb Bush's kids through Columba. Tho Mitt's mom was a natural born American.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:53 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Most "hispanics" are very liberal -- they wouldn't vote for a Republican no matter what. About 20% of hispanics are conservative and will vote for the same issues that other conservatives vote for. 70% of hispanics are out-and-out liberal, they want very big government, they want their welfare handouts, they like all that tax the rich, the promise of free healthcare, abortion and the whole liberal agenda.
Both parties suck on this issue. Conservatives love the cheap and docile labor the illegals bring. They get to pat themselves on the back for their enlightenment AND punish the middle class with higher taxes, overcrowded schools and increased insurance premiums. It's a win-win for them and the reason Reagan handed out amnesty.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
The Hispanic vote isn't as consequential as the media would have you believe. They have horrendous turnout rates, nearly 20% below blacks, who btw run about even with the white turnout rate. Also they tend to be concentrated in large states which are already ideologically one sided in one direction (NY and Cali to the Left, Texas to the Right). Only Florida can they or any other group for that matter swing the state.

In Florida the two largest Hispanic groups Cubans and Puerto Ricans, are immune from illegal immigration. Cubans get residency for touching US soil and Puerto Ricans have been citizens from birth for nearly 100 years now.

One could make the argument for the Hispanic impact being felt in states like Nevada and Colorado but I'd argue the Non-Hispanic newcommers to these states are just as critical if not moreso since they're more likely to head to the polls than Hispanics.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Both parties suck on this issue. Conservatives love the cheap and docile labor the illegals bring. They get to pat themselves on the back for their enlightenment AND punish the middle class with higher taxes, overcrowded schools and increased insurance premiums. It's a win-win for them and the reason Reagan handed out amnesty.
I think both parties are guilty of loving the cheap labor. The Democrats however have another vested interest and that is amnesty for votes.

Not sure what Reagan's motivation was for signing the 1986 amnesty but he later regretted it because the border wasn't secured as promised.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Mitt's just as Hispanic as Jeb Bush's kids through Columba. Tho Mitt's mom was a natural born American.
The difference between Mitt and Jeb's kids is that they had a Hispanic mom. Not so in the case of Mitt Romney. Nationality is an entirely different issue.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:28 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Please tell me just what does Romney plan to DO to deal with the law breaking illegal aliens. The same thing Obama is planning NOTHING BUT GIVE THEM RIGHTS THEY DONT DESERVE AND NO PUNISHMENT FOR THEIR CRIMES..? ....

Old 08-13-2012, 03:11 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Please tell me just what does Romney plan to DO to deal with the law breaking illegal aliens. The same thing Obama is planning NOTHING BUT GIVE THEM RIGHTS THEY DONT DESERVE AND NO PUNISHMENT FOR THEIR CRIMES..? ....
Exactly! It won't make a bit of difference who occupies the White House, because nothing will be done. Illegal immigration is now considered a "civil rights" issue, and only "racists" oppose these fine folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration