Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,681,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
If undocumented immigrants are the problem, then you should support greatly expanding legal immigration to get more legal immigrants and fewer undocumented immigrants.
HUH

We already have more legal immigrants coming here than any other nation on earth.

This should be enough.

If we expand it we will loose our country. Is that what you want?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,443,500 times
Quote:
Then greatly increasing legal immigration is a solution to the problem of illegal immigration. Why don't those who are against illegal immigration strongly push for greatly expanding legal immigration?

The solution to reducing convictions for theft is to decriminalize theft.

Makes sense, right?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,225,521 times
I guess we can just saunter over to Mexico and get free schooling right? Wrong. Foreign countries are quite tough about illegal immigration.

A crime is a crime. My cop buddies tell me that illegals don't follow our laws at all and will just drive without licenses, insurance, drunk, and not with a care in the world. Locally whenever we have a DWI checkpoint it invariably catches 100-200 illegals with no license/insurance.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 AM

I understand the 'technical' reasons for the decision.... HOWEVER.... it literally costs thousands per child, per year, in addition to school lunch benefts, etc..... to educate just one child.

I don't agree with American tax payers having to pay to educate foreign children who really have no business being in the system, at the expense of legal immigrants and American children. The American tax payer is over taxed as it is, and schools are already having to deal with cutbacks.

This isn't 1910 anymore, when you arrived and were told, "good luck." We cannot sustain a public social safety net, AND take on unlimited amounts of the world's poor. We will ALWAYS have an underclass if that is the case. We will ALWAYS be fighting poverty.

Illegal immigrant students should be tabulated by the schools, and a bill sent to their governments and countries of origin. Same with healthcare.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,261,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Not every American cares about the Constitution, so this story will go over their heads.
Why don't you copy and paste here the part of the Constitution that says the American taxpayer has to pay for the schooling of illegals?

Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,308,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Illegal immigrants are the wrong kinds of people.

They are criminals. We should not welcome criminals into our lands, at the expense of the taxpayer.

I'm assuming you are a "progressive" or a communist, so you probably want high taxes, less liberty, open borders, etc. so I'm not sure why I'm even debating with you.
Lol, criminals.

So is a person a criminal if that person speeds in their vehicles? The person broke the law after all.

Is a person a criminal that person jay walks? That person broke the law after all.

Is a person a criminal if that person drinks before being 21? The person broke the law after all.

Is a persona a criminal if they smoke before 18? The person broke the law after all.

See the point I make, is that people regularly break the law yet are not considered criminals.

In fact, the whole point of discussing undocumented immigrants and crime is to associate immigration and immigrants with criminality.

The fact is if legal immigration were greatly expanded, then many of the people you now consider criminals wouldn't be.

You are not debating me. You are agreeing with me.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,308,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
We already legally immigrate more people than any country in the world. That is enough right there.

We either enforce current laws. Take away benefits & re-clarify the 16th amendment or loose our country.
What is enough is up for debate, but that isn't my point. My point is that conservatives don't just dislike illegal immigration, conservatives dislike immigration period because they believe as you do that too many people from the wrong kinds of nations are coming here and destroying this nation.

Why do conservatives shy away from the reality of their policy position?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73

In fact, the whole point of discussing undocumented immigrants and crime is to associate immigration and immigrants with criminality.
I am first generation. My father and essentially one half of my family are recent IMMIGRANTS. LEGAL immigrants.

People like me know the difference between "immigration" and "illegal immigration," even if people like you work hard to blur the line so that anyone who is against one type can be painted with the racist xenophobic brush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73
The fact is if legal immigration were greatly expanded, then many of the people you now consider criminals wouldn't be.

You are not debating me. You are agreeing with me.

That isn't a solution. Again, if we legalized drunk driving, then we'll have less criminals. If we legalize prostitution, we'll have less criminals.

Ok, yeah, sure, great. To what end?

Immigration is controlled for a large number of reasons. Not least of those reasons being to ensure we can sustain growth and absorb people at a controlled rate. One of the requirements of immigration is also that people have some BENEFIT to the country, and won't become BURDENS on the public system. Every other country in the world does it, including countries that we receive HUGE amounts of immigrants from. Why is America any different?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,921,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
This time, it's in True Blue Alabama where the Republican dominated legislature passed a law requiring school systems to check the citizenship status of enrolling children.

The 11th US Circuit Court said that's un-constitutional.

Court: Ala schools can’t check student immigration status; police can ask for suspects’ papers - The Washington Post
That's the same thing which happened in California in the early 90's. The wing nuts can't get around the probable cause requirement for searches and seizures.

Last edited by Think4Yourself; 08-21-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 08:02 AM

640 posts, read 718,796 times
Quote:
I think this nation's illegal immigration is directly related to the amount of legal immigration this nation allows from certain nations. Again, I have yet to met one person who has an issue with illegal immigration who wants to substantially expand legal immigration to allow many more people into this nation...
Well, you just met one.

Whether it be for a genuiune respect for the multiple contributions made by a diversity of culture or the realization that with a negative Population Growth Rate we need to re-evaluate our concepts of expanding citizenry, I unabashedly support an expansion of legal immigration.

That said, with citizenship comes responsibility and I expect those that choose to join me in this march to modernity to share in all efforts necessary, including the burden of taxation. Frankly, I could care less about their individual situations. I don't believe in nation building or, worse yet, nation building by proxy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration