Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,253,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If a person wants to be a US citizen: that means becoming an American 1ST. If that means cutting down the talking in Gaelic, French, German, Chinese or Spanish: so be it.

The Hispanics also were colonialists, from Spain. The difference is the US is still strong enough to stop and turn back the tide from LatAm.

Puerto Rico; I agree with you, it needs to be "set free" and we wash our hands of that place.
So becoming American 1ST means becoming less American? That makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM

63,430 posts, read 29,448,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The facility wasn't in Florida. It was in Washington, DC. It would have been impossible to treat the criminally insane without having Spanish-speaking doctors, nurses, attendants, etc. on staff. We also later had international detainees, which required having staff with various foreign language skills. I resent the fact that facilities such as that existed, and still exist to this day. But, the U.S. chooses to allow itself to be the world's dumping ground. So, what can I say?

I have said many times, the U.S. will never learn. Our government allowed Castro to practically empty his prisons and mental institutions and dump them on U.S. taxpayers. Now, we are allowing Mexico to dump their illiterate underclass. Only now, we have untold millions, and their families will join them.

Edit: Those patients could never be released due to the severity of their mental illnesses and the heinous crimes they committed prior to entering this country. Surprisingly, Cuba provided their records. I suppose that was the least they could do. But, it tells you how incredibly stupid the U.S. government is to agree to accept them. Do you think a foreign country would willingly accept our prisoners and mental patients?
Thanks for the clarification. Unbelievable that our government would accept all these misfits that ended up on the public dole. Even more unbelievable is that we continue to do that today for the unskilled an illiterate from south of our border that procreate on our soil and are able to tap into our welfare coffers through them, steal our jobs and have other negative impacts on our society.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,693,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So becoming American 1ST means becoming less American? That makes no sense.
Those are your words

Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,693,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I wonder if I'd be called racist for refusing to speak English...
Why would you?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,056,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Kinda agree about this. Even when i dont understand american patriotism at all, and its hard for me to understand a lot of the points american make when they are talking from their patriotic POV (wich, believe me, its very hard to understand from other much less patriotic-or not patriotic at all- cultures), i actually CAN understand this. I DO think that learning language and costumes is a sign of respect. And it must be hard for you to see that foriengers living there do not respect your country.

We do have a situation relatable to that here in Argentina. For example with asians (theres a HUGE asian community in buenos aires), and their supermarkets (most little suppermarkets are asians, and THOUSANDS of them in the city. In my block alone i have 5 of this, and this is normal). Very often (more so in the beggining, now i have to admit some are learning the language) they dont speak spanish AT ALL, and just know chinese and if you ask something theyll look at you with empty eyes. They also dont care about learning custom or traditions.
Never occured to me to be mad or annoyed about this, im actually used to the asian community being close and not caring enough, but, then again, im from an extremely unpatriotic country with no sense of a nation whatsoever, so i guess this is where this apathy come from-

For a country thats as proud as itself and its tradition and people like USA, i can see why this could be offensive.
You can bet that every desirable country in the world has chinese in it! If their country is so wonderful, why don't they stay in it?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,401,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Either become fluent in English or go home. It's common sense for a country to make demands on those who wish to become citizens. It's not up to Americans to work harder to make life easier for foreigners.

I fully agree. Native Spanish speaking immigrants either need to assimilate into American culture and commerce by learning English or simply continue to be the permanent underclass that exacerbates itself due to a language barrier.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Kinda agree about this. Even when i dont understand american patriotism at all, and its hard for me to understand a lot of the points american make when they are talking from their patriotic POV (wich, believe me, its very hard to understand from other much less patriotic-or not patriotic at all- cultures), i actually CAN understand this. I DO think that learning language and costumes is a sign of respect. And it must be hard for you to see that foriengers living there do not respect your country.

We do have a situation relatable to that here in Argentina. For example with asians (theres a HUGE asian community in buenos aires), and their supermarkets (most little suppermarkets are asians, and THOUSANDS of them in the city. In my block alone i have 5 of this, and this is normal). Very often (more so in the beggining, now i have to admit some are learning the language) they dont speak spanish AT ALL, and just know chinese and if you ask something theyll look at you with empty eyes. They also dont care about learning custom or traditions.
Never occured to me to be mad or annoyed about this, im actually used to the asian community being close and not caring enough, but, then again, im from an extremely unpatriotic country with no sense of a nation whatsoever, so i guess this is where this apathy come from-

For a country thats as proud as itself and its tradition and people like USA, i can see why this could be offensive.
Also when you look at the USA -- with all the hundreds of ethnic groups and many races of people, the one thing that united us was the English language. Other groups like the Polish, the Dutch, Italians, etc would come and quickly learn English because they wanted to feel American and be American.

We're not seeing much of that with the Mexicans and Central Americans. They will insist they are very very proud Mexicans, they want to cling to their old country ways, yet they will do anything to get out of that country.

Many really do expect Americans to learn their language because they want everything to be extremely easy in their immigration. They want to make no effort to learn or adapt to the USA, they couldn't care less about our culture, history or laws. They will wave and display their Mexican flags -- so very proudly - until someone suggests deporting them, then they will carry on like little girls about how awful and scary it is back in their own country for them, they'll insist everyone there is dying of starvation -- but those of us who have traveled there know it's not how they say at all.

And no one can admire people who use childbirth to get around the laws -- come here to have the babies they cannot afford -- they couldn't afford them back home where the cost of living is much lower, certainly cannot support them here with our much higher cost of living -- and figure that gets them a free pass around the immigration laws.

Work sponsored legal immigration generally works better. It gets us a better mix, more diversity of immigrants and because they want to succeed in the workplace, they usually don't resist learning or using English.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,925,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Unbelievable that our government would accept all these misfits that ended up on the public dole. Even more unbelievable is that we continue to do that today for the unskilled an illiterate from south of our border that procreate on our soil and are able to tap into our welfare coffers through them, steal our jobs and have other negative impacts on our society.
To be fair it's not just Spanish speaking countries that are sending the less skilled here. Recently in the paper they ran an article about an organization that gets tax payers money (go figure)to support all these people coming from third world countries. Without exception almost all of them in the article were all unskilled people and are now coming here and living off taxpayer's dime in the name of diversity. This sounds xenophobic and racist but simply put we can't keep continue to take care of the most unskilled people in the world. We have way too many uneducated Americans unable to find jobs many are taking and taxes keep going up to support these people.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,862,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I scanned your quote for "illegal aliens", but didn't see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
To be fair it's not just Spanish speaking countries that are sending the less skilled here. Recently in the paper they ran an article about an organization that gets tax payers money (go figure)to support all these people coming from third world countries. Without exception almost all of them in the article were all unskilled people and are now coming here and living off taxpayer's dime in the name of diversity. This sounds xenophobic and racist but simply put we can't keep continue to take care of the most unskilled people in the world. We have way too many uneducated Americans unable to find jobs many are taking and taxes keep going up to support these people.
Source?...

Old 12-22-2012, 06:11 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,613,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I scanned your quote for "illegal aliens", but didn't see it...
I knew he was referring to illegal aliens, and I'm sure you did as well. Why are you nitpicking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Source?...
The last time I checked, the U.S. has accepted millions of refugees at taxpayers' expense. I doubt most are highly-skilled. A quick Google search would have verified his post.

Quote:
Since 1975, Americans have welcomed over 3 million refugees from all over the world.

Those refugees who receive USCIS approval to resettle in the United States enter the Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) – a cooperative public-private program made up of a number of participants. The support of millions of Americans is fundamental to the program’s success. Though Congress mandated the program, it is local communities that have ensured the success of the resettlement program by welcoming and helping refugees from around the world.
Refugee Admissions

Quote:
List of US Federal Government Funding Programs (2005)

•Refugee and Entrant Assistance_Discretionary Grants, $72,489,000 total funding
•Refugee and Entrant Assistance_State Administered Programs, $238,234,000 total funding
•Refugee and Entrant Assistance_Targeted Assistance, $44,123,000 total funding
•Refugee and Entrant Assistance_Voluntary Agency Programs, $50,000,000 total funding
•Refugee and Entrant Assistance_Wilson/Fish Program, $18,000,000 total funding
Info: List of US Federal Government Funding Programs

It's not chump change, is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration