Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM

116 posts, read 110,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
If it fits the crime then do own up to it.
That's what the Saudis say about cutting off the hands of thieves. Also some people believe in eye for an eye, but we don't do that in America.

Now some people ought to be deported. But for some we can do...eh...deferred processing. My buddy in college (American citizen) got caught smoking weed, they decided to defer his sentencing if he admitted the crime, essentially putting it off indefinitely unless he re-offends, in which case they would sentence him immediately (he's already admitted guilt). That sounds reasonable. He got his "first warning" and now he knows he'll be in deep trouble if he gets caught again, but they didn't drop a ton of bricks on him the very first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 PM

63,188 posts, read 29,336,217 times
It's a crock that Americans fear legal immigrants. There is no fear of strangers in this country because as I said there is no race/ethnic group that is a stranger to our country. Many of the foreign born are even citizens of our country.

If these so-called grandmas came here fleeing from the drug cartels they would have applied for asylum status already.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,391,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post
The husband is unlawfully present, born in Iran. The wife is an American citizen. The kids are American citizens. What then? The husband can't stay in America, and Iran won't take the wife and kids. See the problem here? Mixed-nationality families can't move around easily because of anti-immigrant people don't care about family unity.

It has nothing to do with not caring about the family unity, it has everything to do with the fact that they, the parents KNEW that the husband is in the US ILLEGALLY yet they married and had children anyway. NOT THE REST OF SOCIETY'S PROBLEM THAT THEY MADE THE CHOICES THEY MADE.
THEY chose to do this so THEY choose to break up their own family unity.........NOT SOCIETY.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,945,727 times
Quote:
I've noticed that the noisiest opponents of illegal immigration also want to cut back on legal immigration. Color me surprised. There clearly is an anti-immigrant thread that runs through this, it's not like you see people protesting shoplifters getting probation. I'd argue there's even a racial angle, given that the majority of immigrants are not white.

As for Iran, yea they have bad immigration policy, along with bad policies across the board. The last thing we should do is mimic their xenophobia.
Uh; there's NOTHING wrong with wanting to cut DOWN even legal aliens coming to the US. It was done in 1920 and it's time to do it in 2013.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,945,727 times
Quote:
I agree they should be punished, but I think deportation is too severe. We ain't gonna send illegal grandmas too drug lord territory along the US Mexico border. Not crossing that moral line.

American xenophobes fear foreigners, ie those they perceive owe allegiance to foreign countries. Of course many "illegals" don't go back to their country because they are afraid they wont be able to return to the US, so I wonder which they value more.
Nothing wrong with deportation unless the illegal alien can PROVE he'd be in danger if sent back home. Mexico; to talk about what you're posting about, ain't any more dangerous than the US.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM

63,188 posts, read 29,336,217 times
If there is any connection between those of us who are opposed to illegal immigration and those of us who also want legal immigration in controlled numbers and perhaps cut back during bad times that just means we think logically and with common sense and have our nation's citizens best interests at heart. There is no racist undertone to that even though that is what is being implied. It is no surprise to me that the pro-illegals would use that tactic. It wouldn't be the first time.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,850,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Actually, it was 3 millon that were amnestied back in 1986. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you had said that Canada had a good handle on protecting its borders and deterring illegal immigration compared to the U.S. If Mexicans or other illegals are even making such arrogant statements to Canadians then I am really floored that the problem is spreading even further north than I thought.
Yah they are here - not in large numbers but they are getting a foot hold. Also there are quite a few people from Central America and South America. My youngest son who is was 22 at the time got sucked in by a young girl from Chile...She convinced him to marry her..I thought she was sincere. Just about everything she told us was a lie. She brought her immigration lawyer to the wedding...Finally her visa wore out and she got up one day and moved in with a Mexican family to play nanny for them....I had no idea they were so desperate...I remember her words as she walked out the door..."You are not helping me enough to get my papers."

For about a year my house was filled with Spanish speaking guests..They were nice enough BUT it seems that all of them were dishonest about their motives...They use you and then move on.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,858,549 times
Quote:
If there is any connection between those of us who are opposed to illegal immigration and those of us who also want legal immigration in controlled numbers and perhaps cut back during bad times that just means we think logically and with common sense and have our nation's citizens best interests at heart...
Unless that U.S. citizen has a spouse (25% of legal immigrants), minor child (8 to 10% of legal immigrants), or parent (10% of legal immigrants) trying to come here. The "Gang of Eight" Senators did have an immigration cut in their plans: The "Diversity Visa Program", aka "Green Card Lottery", will be ended.

Quote:
...There is no racist undertone to that even though that is what is being implied. It is no surprise to me that the pro-illegals would use that tactic. It wouldn't be the first time.
You've implied that the government "favors" and has larger "quotas" for Mexicans and other Latino nationalities, but can't form a cognizant rationale to explain how:

Quote:
...What is ironic is that many who make that claim are of the same ethnic group that hold the highest numbers in our legal immigration quotas. Strange, huh?
Quote:
...Are you aware that Hispanics enjoy the largest quotas of legal immigration into our country today by far?...
Quote:
...When I speak of diversity I am speaking of our quotas. They are lopsided in favor of Latinos.
Quote:
How is legal vs illegal immigration a strawman argument? You do know we have immigration laws, don't you? Mexicans and other Latinos already are the largest numbers of legal immigrants in our country by far. Why do you want more rather than another ethnic/national group? I am for diversity, aren't you?

The experts already know how many legal immigrants we can allow into our country without it negatively impacting our own citizens. I am not an expert. Currently we allow in around 1 million a year. If you think that is too low or that Latinos should get an even larger quota then take it up with the experts. As I said, I am for diversity and equality in our immigration numbers...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/25831573-post79.html:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory
Are you not aware that among today's quotas that it favors minorities overwhelmingly? So where is this racism? Quotas were set because our nationn no longer needed as many immigrants as when we were a new country.
When those quotes are put back up, you try to deflect the label back (https://www.city-data.com/forum/29377301-post53.html):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory
...Apparently diversity takes a back seat with you if it has any place at all...

Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,031,383 times
Quote:
That's what the Saudis say about cutting off the hands of thieves. Also some people believe in eye for an eye, but we don't do that in America.

Now some people ought to be deported. But for some we can do...eh...deferred processing. My buddy in college (American citizen) got caught smoking weed, they decided to defer his sentencing if he admitted the crime, essentially putting it off indefinitely unless he re-offends, in which case they would sentence him immediately (he's already admitted guilt). That sounds reasonable. He got his "first warning" and now he knows he'll be in deep trouble if he gets caught again, but they didn't drop a ton of bricks on him the very first time.
How can you re-offend illegal imigration?

Old 05-03-2013, 12:55 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,879,300 times
Quote:
The husband is unlawfully present, born in Iran. The wife is an American citizen. The kids are American citizens. What then? The husband can't stay in America, and Iran won't take the wife and kids. See the problem here? Mixed-nationality families can't move around easily because of anti-immigrant people don't care about family unity.
Who cares, maybe they should have thought that one out BEFOREHAND.

Nobody gives a rat's a$$ about that stupid parade, every year they have one and NOTHING happens so they can keep dreaming and believing in Obama's lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration