Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2007, 05:45 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times

Advertisements

The sad part is due to the extreme White Supremacy embedded in 'Hispanic' culture------few Mestizos dare acknowledge their American Indian (or Black) ethnicity due to shame I suspect.

The standard of beauty in the above is white skin and blue eyes.

The irony is that dark skinned people tend to 'have it better' in countries like the USA than Mexico to pick an extreme example. Us Americans as a group apparently are less prejudiced.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-11-2007 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: orphaned content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,760,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Kele, I was going to DM you, but I thought it was better to ask you here, because people in the forum like your views on anthropology.

Which is your favorite civilization and why?

My spirit salutes yours!

Love and Light!
That's a difficult questions to answer. So many early civilizations contributed so much to our modern day civilization, it's difficult to spotlight just one. My field of specialty is Native American prehistory, the field known as Paleo-Indian Archaeology. I am one of those who are searching for the origin of modern man in the Americas, which I happen to believe was pre-Clovis.

However, if we are talking about civilizations which contributed to the beginnings of what we call cognitive archaeology, that is those aspects of ancient culture that are the product of the human mind, the perception, description, and classification of the universe, the nature of the supernatural, principles, philosophies, ethics and values and the way in which they are conveyed in art--I'd have to go with the Mycenean Civilization - 1600-1100 B.C.E. The art of that period, the pottery, the bronzes, along with the brilliant architecture and engineering of remarkable bridges, beehive tombs, elaborate drainage and irrigation systems, not to mention the palatial centers--pretty amazing stuff especially for that time period.

To turkeylurkey--thank you for your kind words.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:07 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,448,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
That's a difficult questions to answer. So many early civilizations contributed so much to our modern day civilization, it's difficult to spotlight just one. My field of specialty is Native American prehistory, the field known as Paleo-Indian Archaeology. I am one of those who are searching for the origin of modern man in the Americas, which I happen to believe was pre-Clovis.

However, if we are talking about civilizations which contributed to the beginnings of what we call cognitive archaeology, that is those aspects of ancient culture that are the product of the human mind, the perception, description, and classification of the universe, the nature of the supernatural, principles, philosophies, ethics and values and the way in which they are conveyed in art--I'd have to go with the Mycenean Civilization - 1600-1100 B.C.E. The art of that period, the pottery, the bronzes, along with the brilliant architecture and engineering of remarkable bridges, beehive tombs, elaborate drainage and irrigation systems, not to mention the palatial centers--pretty amazing stuff especially for that time period.
Wow, you inspired me to do some research about them now

Full respect warrior woman!!

Love and Light Forever!!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,760,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Wow, you inspired me to do some research about them now

Full respect warrior woman!!

Love and Light Forever!!
While you're checking out the Mycenaeans, look into the Minoans as well. The Minoan civilization was a bronze age civilization which arose on Crete, an island in the Aegean Sea. The Minoan culture flourished from approximately 2700 to 1450 BC; afterwards, Mycenaean Greek culture became dominant on Crete. No one really knows what became of the Minoan civilization--some speculate that it was wiped out by a huge volcanic eruption--that the Minoans fled the island and were eventually absorbed into other civilizations, but no one really knows. Minoan frescos are mind bogglingly beautiful.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:42 PM

229 posts, read 348,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My G/F; two of her grandparents immigrated from southern Italy-----yet, she is a Nordic blonde with ice blue eyes. She bears a slight resemblance to Glenn Close or Helen Mirren.

Side note here: genetically speaking most English, Irish, Welsh and Scots are essentially the same as Spaniards from Spain. That the Irish are Celts is actually a myth apparently.
Genetically speaking, we all come from the same source, the world over!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM

[quote=ArizonaBear;1908164]And Hitler had 6 million Jews murdered.

The extremist Hutus in Rwanda murdered hundreds of thousands of Tutsis, etc.

Pol Pot of Cambodia killed at least a million of his countrymen.

So; what made the conquest and genocide of the American Indians worse?

All of what I described were atrocities. [/quote

On the other hand, what made them better?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:45 PM

718 posts, read 2,691,193 times
well if all europeans are illegal some one should tell the mexicans, because 85% of them are mestiso meaning they have a tiny bit of spaniard blood in them

Old 12-11-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Very well said...none of us should feel any more guilt for what our ancestors did wrong, than we should take credit for what our ancestors did right. We are not our ancestors. Some of our ancestors may have been slaveowners-others may have been primitive cannibals, pirates, mafiosi, or other miscreants--or just plain stupid, ---or backward,----or illiterate. That has NOTHING to do with "us" today....those ancestors are now dead and gone. We are answerable for our own actions, not the actions of dead people.
This is very true. But when are the ignorant people in this country going to recognize how foolish it is to say they don't want any immigrants in this country? This is how most of us got here.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I also have a degree in Anthropology and am furthering my degree by pursuing my doctorate. One who claims to know much about Anthropology would have to have one's head stuck in the sand for the last several years to be unaware of the various theories regarding water migration and the New World. I didn't claim it was the only one, but as a scholar and a seeker of information, I do not recklessly disregard any theory until it is proven to be false. I merely offered it up for consideration. I take a Wittgenstein’s Ladder approach to Anthropology. To discard any theory simply because it isn't the one that has generally been considered true says much about a person's intelligence. Whether I am on a dig or working in the lab, I consider not only the materials that we find, but what we do not find as well.

My father-in-law, who passed away this past March, was considered to be one of the world's leading experts on the Aztecs and Meso America in general. Having taught Meso American Archaeology at UCLA for nearly 35 years tenured, it is obvious they considered him to be as well. So, you can imagine the conversations around our dinner table throughout the years. I am perfectly aware of where the Aztecs came from--as a people, a civilization, they lasted only about 150 years. However, their antecessors, mainly the Toltecs, migrated from north of present day Mexico City--but not, at least not within approximately 10,000 years or more, (should the land bridge theory ever be proved correct, it continues to be speculative although widely accepted) from the present day United States.

As far as being connected by languages, I stand by my statement. The present day North American Indians do not speak with the lateral affricative, with the exception of the Zuni. The "barred l" which is pronunciationed "thl", is quite soft compared to the harsh lateral affricatives of the Nauhatl language, which my father in law spoke, by the way. That they are linguistically related is not in question--what is in question is the amount of descent time between present day and the prehistorical migration. No one would deny that present day English takes much from the Romance languages and so they are related. But not every English speaker is an Italian or Frenchman by descent, correct? The Athabaskan tribes for instance, such as the Navajo, speak with the coronal affricative, completely unrelated to the lateral. Did they come from the same place, same group of prehistorical people? Again, we can only speculate.

When it comes down to it, we are all related. We share 99% of our DNA and can trace our ancestry through mitrochondrial DNA back to a single female. Does that make us each and every one, the same? Time, distance, and adaptations have made us different from each other. Shared culture, shared religious beliefs and ceremonies, shared language, shared traditions--these things make us the same. Native peoples of the New World no longer share these things, if indeed they ever did. All that any Anthropologist worth his salt can do is to speculate.
I most certainly will not pretend to have your qualifications. I do have a question though. Has or has not skeletal structure shown the oldest known inhabitants of this country to have no relation to those in Asia who would have traveled over this land bridge?

Old 12-11-2007, 06:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
[quote=manicotti;2229009]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And Hitler had 6 million Jews murdered.

The extremist Hutus in Rwanda murdered hundreds of thousands of Tutsis, etc.

Pol Pot of Cambodia killed at least a million of his countrymen.

So; what made the conquest and genocide of the American Indians worse?

All of what I described were atrocities. [/quote

On the other hand, what made them better?
That was directed to some of the pro illegal crowd and 'indigenous' people fans who play the 'poor me' race card.

What happened to the American Indians was just as bad as what happened to all of the other groups hence my emphasizing 'no worse'-------or no better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration