Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,446,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer
During that entire period Europeans made up anywhere from 70 to 90% of immigrants. Non-European Hispanic immigrants did not become a majority until the 1970s. And the number of German immigrants in the late 1800s was much higher on a yearly basis than the current Hispanic immigration, and back then the United States was smaller, had fewer states, and a fraction of the population & money.
The US also had a fraction of the social services we have now, and a less globalized economy that was already shipping jobs "Americans won't do" overseas while simultaneously importing people from other nations to do the jobs "Americans won't do."

Why is it SO hard for people to STOP making comparisons to the cowboy capitalist, we don't care if you live or die immigration policies of 100 years ago vs. today's reality? Is it THAT difficult?

Quote:
Furthermore, it is so comical how you define illegal vs legal. So one day the borders are open and everybody who comes over is fine and dandy. The next day a few politicians decide to close the borders and from that day forward everybody is by your book an evil criminal.
That's kinda the way laws work.

Besides, I keep reading about people spending upwards of $4000 to be "smuggled" into the United States..... doesn't say much for "harsh economic conditions" as a motivator in those situations, does it?

Quote:
But don't let me interupt your hate party. Please, go back to hating and demonizing Hispanics/Immigrants. Or use my post as a trampoline for further hate...I don't care. I'm out of here anyway....I have better things to do with my time. Have fun
Some of us don't believe in the term "Hispanic," to begin with. Others have Latin backgrounds, Latino spouses, and extended family members from Latin America. Many others are immigrants themselves, or are the children of immigrants.

But play the "race" card if it makes you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,958,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Gotta disagree on this one travelingfella. Bush may not be the brightest bulb in the bunch, but he didn't concoct 9/11 or have anything to do with it. Conspiracy theories abound, sadly.
Why do you have so much faith in the Government? They can't even enforce the borders.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:03 PM

402 posts, read 1,062,992 times
Quote:
Traveling Fella

What really happened on 9/11???

who was behind it? I don't know but something tells me Bush & co had something to do with that, why was that Osama Bin Laden reappeared on the last elections? he had vanished until that day.

Have you noticed in the videos and pictures that there weren't any rests of the planes who "crashed" why is that? they should have at least left some evidence imho

I might be dead wrong, but what if it were true? what has Iraq and it's oil to do with Bin Laden?

I doubt if I am the only person who actually saw those planes fly into the twin towers the morning of 9-11, while watching the early show on TV. Or the only one who watched the distuction of those buildings as they collapsed to ground zero. Or watched the rescue and cleanup efforts for days and days on end. Or who saw the destruction of the Pentagon on that day or the plane that crashed in in the field in Pennsylvania.

Did Bush have anything to do with it? ELL No! I voted for Bush, not once but twice because I thought he was the better man for the job, But these days I have lost a lot of faith in my own judgment and in Bush because he has turned his back on his own people concerning the illegal alien situation in our country as have many of our other politicians. As I have said before. I do not consider illegals to be immigrants. True Immigrants earn the right to be called an Immigrant by going through the red tape to become a CITIZEN of our country. And they give their loyalty to the USA first and foremost.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:04 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,448,008 times
Ok, I know that 9/11 it is something that was terrible, and extremely painful, a lot of people died that day, and whomever was responsible acted in a coward way, I know many of you don't believe in evil energy or satan, but for me that was clearly an act of his forces.

I can't blame no one because I have no hard proof, but I have the feeling that there is something smelly hiding there, I don't know who did it, but I'm sure that people inside America had something to do with it, please I'm sorry if I'm hurting someone's feelings here, because I know it is something that we haven't got over yet (the entire world) I felt this was an attack not just to America but to all of us

That's why I've been wandering around the internet for some information and I found those sites, maybe they are conspiracy theory sites, but maybe there might be something of truth on them.

The 9/11 WTC Collapses - An Audio-Video Analysis (http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/9-11_wtc_videos.html - broken link)
The 9-11 Attacks Were Perpetrated By Agents Of The U.S. And Israeli Governments

I got really offtopic here, sorry maybe we should start another thread in the political forum but for some reason I felt I had to post here.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:11 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,820,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Why do you have so much faith in the Government? They can't even enforce the borders.
Everyone should have learned after Hurricane Katrina that the government only cares when they can make a profit.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post

Furthermore, it is so comical how you define illegal vs legal. So one day the borders are open and everybody who comes over is fine and dandy. The next day a few politicians decide to close the borders and from that day forward everybody is by your book an evil criminal.

You have some interesting logic, no doubt supported by the rest of these wackos on the immigration forum. I promised myself before clicking in here that I wouldn't post anything but after reading your comment I just had to laugh and post a reply.

But don't let me interupt your hate party. Please, go back to hating and demonizing Hispanics/Immigrants. Or use my post as a trampoline for further hate...I don't care. I'm out of here anyway....I have better things to do with my time. Have fun
Hold on here a moment: where is your rage towards Mexico with its very strict laws against illegal immigration?

If a Guatemalan, etc gets caught SOB; they are in deep doo-doo.

Maybe we should adopt the above Mexican law and enforce it rigorously!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,542,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embraer View Post
Are you a comedian?? First of all, a majority of immigrants came to this country between the years of 1850 and 1920. So while you may think of yourself as a "native American" or whatever, you are not and 98% of Americans certainly are not.
Uhhh...that's native with a small "n."

native: a person who was born in a particular place

As about 90% of those who live in the US were born in the US, 90% of us are American natives.

What did the minority of immigrants do between 1850 and 1920?

Quote:
Furthermore, it is so comical how you define illegal vs legal.
Legal and illegal are defined by the law itself. You find this comical? Are you an anarchist?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,347,468 times
[/quote]which directly threatened our FREEDOM, not the cost of our citizenship.[/quote]

Which is the same thing - if you don't have freedom, you don't have a sovereign nation with citizenship that means something to the patriots of that country. We might all be speaking German now, with no U.S. citizenship, at any cost.

You just aren't a patriot - you seem to be a globalist, as many young people are. I get the feeling that you're not over 50, like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration