Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:18 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,617,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Pro-amnesty people are foolish IMHO. Plain and simple.
No, they are very smart. Think about it, it's 50 million votes for the Democrats. You need to be a super dumb Democrats not supporting this.

Whether or not it will screw the country or its people beyond repair is a entirely different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 11:37 PM

111 posts, read 91,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Black people will suffer the most if amnesty is granted due to lost access to low-skill jobs. I'm surprised black advocacy groups have not been more vocal about this. I can only surmise that being against amnesty would be seen to be against Barack Obama, therefore there is silence.
actually, latino citizens have their wages hit harder by the presence of illegals than black or white citizens do.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 AM

63,178 posts, read 29,336,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokingHazard View Post
actually, latino citizens have their wages hit harder by the presence of illegals than black or white citizens do.
Yet the majority of Latino citizens support amnesty.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 AM

993 posts, read 1,565,081 times
I'm not sure what MSM means? Is it "mainstream media"?

Anyway, I don't think you can say that most US citizens do or do not support amnesty because I think the fact of the matter is that most voters are apathetic about it. There is a vocal minority who is very against it (such as many of the posters in this thread, evidently), and there is a vocal minority who is very much in support of amnesty. Most of us, though, are either indifferent or ambivalent because we prioritize other US issues above the issue of amnesty for illegal immigrants. And indifference and ambivalence often get counted as votes in favor.

If MSM does mean mainstream media, then I have to ask why you believe they support it. From what I've seen, there are more anti- anti-amnesty sentiments than pro-amnesty sentiments in the media. In other words, people seem to have more of an issue with the people against granting amnesty to illegal immigrants because such people often appear bigoted when they are represented.

The mainstream media is very liberal in the sense that it skewers any sentiments that show even an inkling of bigotry. So, this media support for amnesty that you speak of is very akin to voting for Candidate A as a vote against Candidate B as opposed to it being a vote for Candidate A: they're reporting in a way that shows disdain for the anti-amnesty people as opposed to actually supporting the pro-amnesty people.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,245,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The stories on the Internet say that we "need" amnesty and it's the right thing to do. The thing is MOST replies to those stores are about 7 to 1 AGAINST any sort of amnesty. But the "MSM" just doesn't get it.
They promote the agenda their masters tell them to. Same sex marriage, abortion, gun control, open borders, anti-Christian.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 AM

63,178 posts, read 29,336,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
I'm not sure what MSM means? Is it "mainstream media"?

Anyway, I don't think you can say that most US citizens do or do not support amnesty because I think the fact of the matter is that most voters are apathetic about it. There is a vocal minority who is very against it (such as many of the posters in this thread, evidently), and there is a vocal minority who is very much in support of amnesty. Most of us, though, are either indifferent or ambivalent because we prioritize other US issues above the issue of amnesty for illegal immigrants. And indifference and ambivalence often get counted as votes in favor.

If MSM does mean mainstream media, then I have to ask why you believe they support it. From what I've seen, there are more anti- anti-amnesty sentiments than pro-amnesty sentiments in the media. In other words, people seem to have more of an issue with the people against granting amnesty to illegal immigrants because such people often appear bigoted when they are represented.

The mainstream media is very liberal in the sense that it skewers any sentiments that show even an inkling of bigotry. So, this media support for amnesty that you speak of is very akin to voting for Candidate A as a vote against Candidate B as opposed to it being a vote for Candidate A: they're reporting in a way that shows disdain for the anti-amnesty people as opposed to actually supporting the pro-amnesty people.
I don't think the MSM is depicting Americans opposed to amnesty as bigots. It is the ethnocentrics and liberals that are. They do so because they have no viable arguments to back up their pro-amnesty views. The truth is that for the majority of anti-amnesty Americans bigotry has nothing to do with their desire to have our immigration laws respected and enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration