Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What bothers you the most of illegal immigrants?
The fact they are here illegally, the violated my border, stole a SS #, etc you know? 56 75.68%
I wouldn't mind if they were well behaved and tried to adapt, it's their actions! 18 24.32%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:18 PM

186 posts, read 335,451 times

Advertisements

Actually, the Quota ACT of 1924 solved the dillema of being overly influenced by Poles or Italians quite well.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:32 PM

8 posts, read 10,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
38 million LEGAL people in under 10 years is way too much for any COuntry to handle and absorb add to that the other 15-25 million illegals and it is over the top. We need to sit back, take a break from all immigration for a little while, secure our borders so the illegal element is out of the equation and see where we need to go as a Country . If we keep going at the rate we are, I see a more divided America then a richer America.

I see where you are going with this...the key is to secure the BORDERS, not just one. Everyone thinks that the illegals are "sneaking in" but they are not for the most part. Most walk or drive through the BORDER! I know a lot of legal and illegal immigrants and both say the same...pay the guy at customs, AMERICAN CUSTOMS and they get through. Its good money, really good money, per person! What good are walls going to do, we have to change this problem first. People just do not get it, or want to admit we have let the biggest part of the illegals in and let them stay for years. Now we want them all out? If its the biggest supplier of the illegal drugs, someone is not doing their job or "turning their heads". We have too much technology that can detect it supposedly, how does it keep getting here? Make you wonder?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
That's nice, but what about those of us who are at least partly first generation Americans, and who have Latino family members?

Are WE racist/xenophobic/ ___ist as well?

I for one don't WANT the United States to become Latinized. "Anglo" culture and tradition, in my opinion, is what makes the US a decent place to live, and I will readily admit to being a culturalist. Don't get me wrong, I believe people are free to bring all the "shallow" and superficial accoutrements of their cultures to the United States. I just don't see any value in living in a balkanized nation divided by culture and language barriers. IT may work for individual cities, but I don't see it working on a national scale. Unfortunately, those on the "front lines" of culture wars tend to be the underprivileged - the poor and working class, and African Americans who are (literally) fighting to keep their neighborhoods.

But anyway, why is it ok for "other" cultures to lament and preserve their cultures, yet Americans are denied the same privilege? Do you shoot off angry letters to the French cultural preservation agency? Wring your hands when countries around the world decry and try to resist encroaching Americanism on their local cultures?
Excellent post-- I concur. The American culture is roundly criticized by just about EVEYBODY-- many times, by people who "don't have a leg to stand on"...Why? Simple--because part of the decency of our culture is that almost over-the-top wish to be "accomodating" even to those who despise us. American culture is one of the few in the world capable of a societal GUILT. Though this can be a GOOD thing, it can also make is an easy target for anyone who comes along with a "gripe"--real or imagined. It's EASY to criticize us, because we'll REACT....we'll feel BAD---and many times, we'll AGREE with our accusers.

When was the last time you heard anyone criticize Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Mexico, or Russia?--and when someone DID criticize these places, how "guilty" was these nations' response ?...(if there even WAS a response?)...

We allow MILLIONS of people in here illegally, deporting almost NO ONE, allowing them all sorts of privileges, and then we ARGUE AMONG OURSELVES about just how "mean" we are toward them!....Incredible...

Old 12-03-2007, 04:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I have several issues with ilegal immigration.
1. They broke our laws entering, often commit fraud and ID theft and then protest us for being unfair for prosecuting them for it.
2. They come here work below going wage, take advantage of our social systems and yet complain further about the inconvience of getting caught should they have to have valid ID.
3. They stage protests in our country about our country flying the flag of their origin. Never once complaining about the land they fled to come here.
If we are so bad leave, go home, you were not invited anyway.
They remind me of a stranger showing up at my house, not bothering to knock before entering, complaining about my home, eating my food, then whimpering about not enough comforts for them... Get out and dont come back.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
The original question was what bothers you most about illegal immigrants.

I'd have to say all the ill-founded hate directed their way as a result of the lies, the falsehoods, the hyperbole, the exaggerations, the overestimates, the aggrandizing, the embellishments and the over-amplifications.

That's what bothers me the most, .....the thinly veiled racism, xenophobia, hypocrisy,and bigotry. All that hate being projected under the guise of being patriotic or supposedly caring about one's countrymen.

Is immigration policy something to understand and attempt to improve?

Always has been and always will be.

But sane immigration policy is the furthest thing from most people's minds today when they push 'immigration reform' as an issue. Far too many of the people pushing 'immigration' as an issue, wish it to be nothing more than a wedge issue, and a chance to politely and acceptably give notice of what is running underneath all their forced civility.

It's merely an opportunity for them to pursue what they imagine to be a 'politically correct' form of hate speech and eliminationism.

Race card does not fly with me anymore.

One of my biggest complaints against illegal immigrants of any race/ethnicity is by virtue of them being here illegally; it tends to become a slippery slope for disobeying other laws i.e. driving without a license, insurance, fraudulent SS numbers, working 'under the table', scamming public assistance, etc.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post

I'd have to say all the ill-founded hate directed their way as a result of the lies, the falsehoods, the hyperbole, the exaggerations, the overestimates, the aggrandizing, the embellishments and the over-amplifications.

That's what bothers me the most, .....the thinly veiled racism, xenophobia, hypocrisy,and bigotry. All that hate being projected under the guise of being patriotic or supposedly caring about one's countrymen.

This part of your post isn't clear to me. Are you referring to the behavior of the "anti-illegals" or the "pro-illegals"? It looks like you could be speaking of either....just exactly WHO are we talking about here, and WHO are their "countrymen"?...

Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This part of your post isn't clear to me. Are you referring to the behavior of the "anti-illegals" or the "pro-illegals"? It looks like you could be speaking of either....just exactly WHO are we talking about here, and WHO are their "countrymen"?...
Read the whole thing, I was very clear who I was talking about.

Am I supposed to believe you can't comprehend that?

Like I said, read the whole thing, I don't have any interest in playing games with what i said.

You can take it any way you want, .....I suspect that's what you'd do anyway, so I've little concern whether you 'get it' or not.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcollegeboy View Post
Actually, the Quota ACT of 1924 solved the dillema of being overly influenced by Poles or Italians quite well.
The dillema? Solved?

How's that? I see today an Italian front runner for the Republican presidential primary?

That's a 'solved' dillema?

You've got Little Italys in every major city in the country.

The Roman Catholic church population in America is the third largest in the world. We have more Americans practicing their religion than they do in Italy.

Dillema solved?

Poles like Pope John Paul II, Marie Curie, Nicolaus Copernicus, Frederic Chopin, Stanisław Lem, Roman Polański, and Janusz Kamiński have all had profound impacts on what we call 'our' modern day culture.

Ever eat Polish sausage?

Like I said, the cultural impacts aren't something someone can just turn off or stop.

We, as a nation, adopt parts of other's culture that we like, and we start calling it our own.

Yes, quota systems attempt to manage the numbers, but the cultural impacts can't and won't be legislated away.

Your so called dillema wasn't 'solved'.

Maybe you could tell me what the reference to college boy is all about?

Old 12-04-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

When was the last time you heard anyone criticize Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Mexico, or Russia?
When was the last time you visited any of those places and talked with their people?

Evidently, that's not something you've done, because just like here, or anywhere else, all people reflect and debate internally how they are, and how they should be.

You've got a strange idea that the U.S. is somehow unique, when it's not.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Race card does not fly with me anymore.
I didn't allude to a 'card game'.

What does or does not 'fly' with you has nothing to do with what I stated.

You want to say you aren't racist, that's something you can do.

But there's no dismissing the overt racism attached to this issue by attempting to pass it off as someone 'playing a card'.

The racism doesn't disappear because you want to frame it with a talking point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration