Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,575 times

Advertisements

EL CENIZO, Texas - Right away, the nasty letters and cuss-filled calls began pouring in to this parched border town. One after another, they reminded residents where they live, and their cumulative vitriol confused the three officials who constitute local government.

The officials say they do not understand why the rest of the country cares how they conduct city business. What matters is that the people who live in El Cenizo participate. So with little discussion and no dissension, the City Commission voted this month to hold its monthly meetings and all official functions in SpanishBoston Globe Online / Nation | World / Texas town makes Spanish official, stirs war of words (http://www.englishfirst.org/elcenezo/elcenizoglobe.htm - broken link)

Now I realize this is an old old old situation, but, its still there and its still a valid situation and who do you think was the Governor of Texas when this happened.
What are your thoughts and does this concern you as an American???

June 26, 2007 [LEFT]El Cenizo, a Texan border town, has a government that officially conducts business only in Spanish and has been known for flying a Mexican flag and claiming it is a part of Mexico. It is also one of many sanctuary cities harboring illegal immigrants

Tribal Conflict in the American Southwest[/LEFT]
Americans may be useful at times, but the Mayor and those who regularly attended City Council meetings in El Cenizo see the little city as their turf, not just another Texas town, and are doing their best to resist Americanization.

The Mayor of El Cenizo, Rafael Rodriguez stated that the majority of residents of his town only speak Spanish, including himself! The distinguished Mayor also is a former trespasser of sovereignty. In 1995, Rodriguez entered America illegally. Mayor Rafael Rodriguez told Reuters that he and most of the town’s residents only speak Spanish. Many are first-generation immigrants, both legal and illegal. Rodriguez himself crossed into the United States illegally from Mexico, but became a U.S. citizen in 1995.
2007 August 21 « The Common Sense Conservative
texas-town-makes-spanish-official-language/

Now I realize this is an old old old situation, but, its still there and its still a valid situation and who do you think was the Governor of Texas when this happened.
What are your thoughts and does this concern you as an American???

Old 02-18-2008, 02:42 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
ICE should make an example of that town.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
ICE should make an example of that town.
Thats a great idea AB. I have to wonder if Hilary and Obama know about this. I would love to hear what they have to say.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,238 times
can't you all wait until more mexican illegals slither
across the border.. THEN get/pay to be legal.. THEN
become the mayor!
how this mexican criminal ever became mayor... I know..
because the rest of the mexican criminals elected him.. viva laraza!

as long as they get to keep taking..as long as they
can keep slithering across the border illegally..
why would they speak OUR English.. thier mexican illegals.
and the cycle of mexican criminals continues... viva laraza!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,103 times
I used to set-up accounting system in TX. Payroll, this illegal mexican has an american name ( wonder where he got SS # hmmm) and had 99 exemptions....LOL!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:51 PM

418 posts, read 367,201 times
Don't take this seriously. There are obviously two official languages in this town, kind of like how you could say New Brunswick is with English and French. The place is like less than a half hour from Mexico and is 98.9% of Latin-American (mostly Mexican) descent. Everyone knows Spanish, but that doesn't mean everyone prefers it. Ignore this, because it isn't indicative on anything changing. This is just the media playing up the fake term ''Hispanic'' and it's non-unified culture.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:16 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc0127 View Post
Don't take this seriously. There are obviously two official languages in this town, kind of like how you could say New Brunswick is with English and French. The place is like less than a half hour from Mexico and is 98.9% of Latin-American (mostly Mexican) descent. Everyone knows Spanish, but that doesn't mean everyone prefers it. Ignore this, because it isn't indicative on anything changing. This is just the media playing up the fake term ''Hispanic'' and it's non-unified culture.
Suffice to say; I hope you are correct.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:31 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,632 times
The rest of the state won't put up with it long enough for it to last. It is in America, are official language is English. If the Mexicans want to live here they need to learn English becaues I will not learn Spanish for them.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,950,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
The rest of the state won't put up with it long enough for it to last. It is in America, are official language is English. If the Mexicans want to live here they need to learn English becaues I will not learn Spanish for them.
For the record English is not the official language of the U.S.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
For the record English is not the official language of the U.S.
That's nothing but semantics, Pro. English is the de facto language of the United States and the speaking of it should be required in the public arena, i.e. government functions and documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration