Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:35 PM

63,324 posts, read 29,403,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
You can't tell me that you're willing to verify the legal status of every single person you pay for service, prior.
If I hire them personally I certainly would. When one does business with an establishment it is the responsibility of that business to verify their worker's status in this country, not me. If I suspect they use illegal workers I won't do business with them. It's really that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:36 PM

943 posts, read 1,202,521 times
I believe in giving all people the equal opportunity to work.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I believe in giving all people the equal opportunity to work.
In their own countries unless we have jobs for them that an American won't do and even at that legal channels must be followed to fill those jobs.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:43 PM

No.

If a Canadian, who wasn't here legally came up on Craigslist offering to do computer tech support or electrical work and you thought they were here legally, would you employ them without verifying them? Yes you would

Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
No.

If a Canadian, who wasn't here legally came up on Craigslist offering to do computer tech support or electrical work and you thought they were here legally, would you employ them without verifying them? Yes you would
You don't speak for me! I will say it the second time if I personally hire them I would verify their status in this country. Most of us do respect our immigration and labor laws, you know. Interesting that you would mention a Canadian. Hmm.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You don't speak for me! I will say it the second time if I personally hire them I would verify their status in this country. Most of us do respect our immigration and labor laws, you know. Interesting that you would mention a Canadian. Hmm.
I like my maple syrup, but I don't know what you are implying.

I just won't allow something as silly as legal status restrict me from employing people. And is it really employing people if you're buying a service from them?

Old 03-06-2014, 03:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,414,713 times
Quote:
You can't tell me that you're willing to verify the legal status of every single person you pay for service, prior.
I don't pay that many people for service, I don't know about you. I pay a guy to cut my grass, that's it. He's a green card holder. I know this for a fact. My handyman is American, born and bred. (And no, he's NOT Canadian.)

Old 03-06-2014, 03:46 PM

22,541 posts, read 12,123,666 times
So, Anonymous, you don't care about having someone who isn't licensed, bonded and insured in your home doing work? Good luck with that when they get injured and sue you. Also, how do you know that they are honest and won't rob you blind? Either that, or tell all their friends about what you have in your home and then they rob you later? I'm sure that when you hired them, you didn't ask for their names or to show you any ID. Good luck when you file a police report. If they are here illegally, you don't know what illnesses they carry and you could end up exposing yourself and your family (if you have one) to who knows what.

We only use companies that are licensed, bonded and insured to do work in our home. Before hiring a contractor, we ask about their employees and would never hire anyone who picks up day laborers off the street.

It always amazes me that the same people who pick up strangers on street corners to work in their homes are the same people who would never pick up a hitchhiker.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I like my maple syrup, but I don't know what you are implying.

I just won't allow something as silly as legal status restrict me from employing people. And is it really employing people if you're buying a service from them?
So the truth comes out. Our immigration and labor laws are silly to you? I'd love to see you say that in a courtroom and see what that gets you. I seriously hope you aren't a U.S. citizen with that attitude.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:21 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,956,186 times
Quote:
I'd check if I have "probable cause" like as if I don't know the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration