Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:26 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanPatriot1 View Post
Well, I was born and raised in Southern CA. You don't know what you're talking about. It use to be beautiful. IT'S NOT NOW. It's a garbage can except for those pockets of wealth and safety. There are beaches I use to go to during the summer and Santa Ana condition times and they were beautiful NOW I wouldn't walk my dog on them. You keep your head in the sand and it won't bother you. Good luck.

I could not agree more. If you love third world slums, then you will really love parts of CA. I also grew up in So Cal, Los Angeles to be exact and remember going to Oliviera street to buy Mexican candy and pinatas. It had so much charm and the people were lovely. That has all changed to gangs, drugs, pink and purple houses surrounded by garbage. Santa Anna was one of the better places to live years back. You would be foolish to drive down the street after dark now. East L.A had some of the best architecture in the area. The homes were occupied by working class Mexicans who maintained their homes and kept the city sparkling. It is in sad shape today. The people replacing the hard working class Mexicans are claiming to be such a proud people but I think they have little to be proud of. You Reap what you sow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,448,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I could not agree more. If you love third world slums, then you will really love parts of CA. I also grew up in So Cal, Los Angeles to be exact and remember going to Oliviera street to buy Mexican candy and pinatas. It had so much charm and the people were lovely. That has all changed to gangs, drugs, pink and purple houses surrounded by garbage. Santa Anna was one of the better places to live years back. You would be foolish to drive down the street after dark now. East L.A had some of the best architecture in the area. The homes were occupied by working class Mexicans who maintained their homes and kept the city sparkling. It is in sad shape today. The people replacing the hard working class Mexicans are claiming to be such a proud people but I think they have little to be proud of. You Reap what you sow.
I think those of us who grew up in So Cal couldn't POSSIBLY know what we are talking about, when we have the valuable and accurate pontifications of someone who lives in Minnesota and who has visited OC, San Diego, and Santa Monica to compare to.

/sarcasm off/

Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,533,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
I hardly think I would be the person to advocate La Raza propaganda.
In the interest of accuracy (we do need to keep our facts straight), what you quoted comes from MEChA, not La Raza.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,753,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
In the interest of accuracy (we do need to keep our facts straight), what you quoted comes from MEChA, not La Raza.
Yes, I know that. MEChA proponents call themselves "La Raza" -- The Race. Believe me, I've had my share of go rounds with these people. I am well aware that they are not the same as the organization "La Raza" although many of its members are also members of Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,533,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Yes, I know that. MEChA proponents call themselves "La Raza" -- The Race. Believe me, I've had my share of go rounds with these people. I am well aware that they are not the same as the organization "La Raza" although many of its members are also members of Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan.
I meant no offense (I'm sure none was taken). I'm just a stickler for accuracy, especially in this debate. With all the lies coming from the other side, we need to portray the truth as accurately as possible.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 PM

206 posts, read 410,874 times
I have lived in S.CA. virtually all my life ;and I have watched it turn into a slum. Sure, there are places that are still clean and picturesque- like some of places mentioned by lukeache. But, you have to spend upwards of $ 1 million to buy a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. I don't even think a million will buy get you a house in the "nicer" parts of N.Ca.

I know people who own property in West L.A. Homes in their neighborhood sell within 700k-range. But, walk just a few blocks from their house, and you're greeted with all types of graffiti and trash on Melrose Blvd.

The SF Valley is another example of a place that was largely a middle-class area in the 80s; now it's crime rivals that of South Central L.A. There's been a rash of incidents where people were being robbed at gun-point in Studio City (where home prices average near a $1 million). Pasadena, home of the Rose Parade, is also quickly becoming a slum, as are Anaheim, Santa Ana, West L.A., West Hollywood, Glendale, Universal City, Eastern Orange County, Southern San Diego County. I could go on and on.

Even if you happen to live in a wealthy or upper-middle class neighborhood, you really can't step too far outside your enclave before you're met with gang graffiti on walls and billboards.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:49 PM

100 posts, read 151,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue pekoe View Post
I have lived in S.CA. virtually all my life ;and I have watched it turn into a slum. Sure, there are places that are still clean and picturesque- like some of places mentioned by lukeache. But, you have to spend upwards of $ 1 million to buy a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. I don't even think a million will buy get you a house in the "nicer" parts of N.Ca.

I know people who own property in West L.A. Homes in their neighborhood sell within 700k-range. But, walk just a few blocks from their house, and you're greeted with all types of graffiti and trash on Melrose Blvd.

The SF Valley is another example of a place that was largely a middle-class area in the 80s; now it's crime rivals that of South Central L.A. There's been a rash of incidents where people were being robbed at gun-point in Studio City (where home prices average near a $1 million). Pasadena, home of the Rose Parade, is also quickly becoming a slum, as are Anaheim, Santa Ana, West L.A., West Hollywood, Glendale, Universal City, Eastern Orange County, Southern San Diego County. I could go on and on.

Even if you happen to live in a wealthy or upper-middle class neighborhood, you really can't step too far outside your enclave before you're met with gang graffiti on walls and billboards.

I agree with all you said, except the N. CA part. It depends where you are talking about. You can get more for one million in the wine country. You can get a decent size house that is fairly new for around 500,000 and that is with a yard that your kids can play in. Try and buy a new house in S. CA for that price and sq. footage with a yard. Most new homes in S. CA won't give your kids room enough to throw a ball.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:51 PM

49 posts, read 217,891 times
If a person isn't herre legally then they need to go home....where ever that is.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM

206 posts, read 410,874 times
I was referring to places like Sausalito in NoCal. I should have been more specific.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:57 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,735,111 times
My last duty station was Moffett Field in the South Bay (Mountian View) The only house we could afford to buy at that time was in East Side San Jose we were for sure the only Anglo folks on the street. I thought it was kinda slummy then but went back for Christmas to see the the MIL ........Lots worse!!!!! The old hood is looking pretty tough!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration