Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:25 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,875,702 times

Advertisements

I have my opinions, what are yours?

In my short experience. I am the son of a cattle farmer from Indiana who has been in Chicago 6 years (4 in the suburbs and 2 in the city) and race was never an issue as it was a homogeneous population. Now, my parents are starting to see a flight influx of hispanics doing manual labor jobs, but generally it is still an all-white, mostly protestant area.

In Humboldt Park, where I live, the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans cannot stand black people. I was raised not to be racist and have had nothing but pleasant experiences with black people with the exception of one guy in Palatine (I am suing him). My handyman is black and lives in Bronzeville and has advised me not to rent to other blacks on the west side of Chicago. I always thought this was a bit odd.

When I purchased my building 2 years ago, I inherited 3 black tenants and we got along great for 18 months until they started getting behind and finally stopped paying altogether, which led me to spend thousands getting them evicted and forcefully removed by the sherriff. Just so you know, you can kick people out so long as the temps are above 15 degrees, but you cannot kick anyone out the 2 weeks before Christmas.

I am also suing 1 of the tenants. One sold illegal DVDs and had everything in cash plus he had 9 babies by 5 women that he knew about. The other was a lady who worked at a school cafeteria and was busted for stealing a computer, which was caught on video, so nothing to go after there. The last one I am suing and garnishing wages though this may also be a waste of time, but we will see.

Anyway, I have had negative experiences with blacks as far as renters. My experience with hispanics has been much more positive. They pay on time and do not give excuses. They are not as prone to cause trouble as they fear deportation (my renters are illegal Mexicans) and basically hardworking, good people. They also will not run you thru the courts, where the city of Chicago defends them for free and the laws are written in their favor. It is interesting to note that my renters have requested that I not rent to blacks so long as they are living there. There seems to be great animosity towards blacks from hispanics, particularly Mexicans. Puerto Ricans seem to get along only a little better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 03:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,416,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
They are not as prone to cause trouble as they fear deportation (my renters are illegal Mexicans)
Youre harboring criminals, shame on you.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:43 PM

391 posts, read 1,304,110 times
Renting to illegals? You deserve every bit of misfortune you get.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Steve-O,

I assume you are being facetious but if not shame on you. I used to be a proponent of sending them (illegals) back before I got to know them and also just realize how impossible it is to send a large part of your labor force packing. By the time I was in college (12 years ago) I knew enough to know that building walls and deporting people was not the solution.

My neighbors, who I rent a garage to are illegal. They have an 11 year old daughter who was born here. The parents also have a 19 and 20 year old boy and girl in Mexico who were raised by the grandma. They have not seen their boy or girl in 13 years and are afraid that if they go back they may not be able to return to the US. Erma (her name) will be left without anyone to take care of her.

This ties into the whole brown vs. black debate as this Mexican family has both parents working minimum wage just to survive and raise a daughter and are not depending on public aid, aside from possibly medical treatment and schooling for their daughter. They pay into social security thru forged social security numbers. They are contributing to our society versus some others who arguably are not. They rent a garage from me and have never in 2 years ever paid me late, even though they are very poor and would have every excuse for falling behind. If we are going to deport anybody it certainly shouldn't be those who want to be here and work hard to scrape by.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Dragoro,

Renting to illegals has never been a problem. I live in the neighborhood and have built a good name with my neighbors. It took awhile as I am a tall white guy but over time they saw I am a good guy who keeps his word. The only problems I ever had as a landlord were renting were with black tenants. I inherited them when I bought the building so background checks were not an option. I do screen all my tenants and ask the neighbors for referrals. I never even have to post "for rent" signs as there is a waiting list to get in my buildings. I would prefer to rent to legal vs illegal for recourse should the lease go bad, but I have not had any issues. I let my existing renters in the buildings meet those that are looking to move in and get their opinions. Often, my existing renters refer people in. And just so you know, when renting to impoverished people who have nothing legal or not, suing never works. The only reason I am suing one of my former tenants is they pissed me off by stealing one of my refrigerators and ovens.

I think people in this forum should live next to illegals before passing judgment on them. If I can come from a farm in southern Indiana and see them as the people they are, so should you.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,544,099 times
Quote:
Steve-O,

I assume you are being facetious but if not shame on you. I used to be a proponent of sending them (illegals) back before I got to know them and also just realize how impossible it is to send a large part of your labor force packing. By the time I was in college (12 years ago) I knew enough to know that building walls and deporting people was not the solution.

My neighbors, who I rent a garage to are illegal. They have an 11 year old daughter who was born here. The parents also have a 19 and 20 year old boy and girl in Mexico who were raised by the grandma. They have not seen their boy or girl in 13 years and are afraid that if they go back they may not be able to return to the US. Erma (her name) will be left without anyone to take care of her.

This ties into the whole brown vs. black debate as this Mexican family has both parents working minimum wage just to survive and raise a daughter and are not depending on public aid, aside from possibly medical treatment and schooling for their daughter. They pay into social security thru forged social security numbers. They are contributing to our society versus some others who arguably are not. They rent a garage from me and have never in 2 years ever paid me late, even though they are very poor and would have every excuse for falling behind. If we are going to deport anybody it certainly shouldn't be those who want to be here and work hard to scrape by.
Seems this thread belongs in the illegal immigration forum.

I do not agree with illegal immigration, and sob stories will not change my mind on that. I think it has too much of a negative impact on the American citizens and immigrants who are trying to come here legally. You say they are not getting public aid aside from medical treatment and schooling. Well that's a HUGE expense for the American taxpayer! And you say they pay social security because they have forged security numbers? Where I come from, identity theft is a crime!

Maybe you should do credit checks on your tenants, that may avoided the problems you had with your other tenants.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 PM

SPD78,

You didn't read my post fully. I had no choice about my previous tenants as I inherited them with the building. I have never had a problem with tenants who I selected, though obviously this could change in the future. But hopefully, my losses will be minimal as I won't just rent to anybody and they have to be referred in by existing renters and neighbors who have a vested interest in bringing in good people. Good people are good people, regardless of their residency status.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Hope the laws start getting enforced a,d ya ednd up in prison humbolt.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:14 PM

Half tempted to call the INS and see if they can track you down.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,953,571 times
Quote:
I have my opinions, what are yours?

In my short experience. I am the son of a cattle farmer from Indiana who has been in Chicago 6 years (4 in the suburbs and 2 in the city) and race was never an issue as it was a homogeneous population. Now, my parents are starting to see a flight influx of hispanics doing manual labor jobs, but generally it is still an all-white, mostly protestant area.

In Humboldt Park, where I live, the Mexicans and Puerto Ricans cannot stand black people. I was raised not to be racist and have had nothing but pleasant experiences with black people with the exception of one guy in Palatine (I am suing him). My handyman is black and lives in Bronzeville and has advised me not to rent to other blacks on the west side of Chicago. I always thought this was a bit odd.

When I purchased my building 2 years ago, I inherited 3 black tenants and we got along great for 18 months until they started getting behind and finally stopped paying altogether, which led me to spend thousands getting them evicted and forcefully removed by the sherriff. Just so you know, you can kick people out so long as the temps are above 15 degrees, but you cannot kick anyone out the 2 weeks before Christmas.

I am also suing 1 of the tenants. One sold illegal DVDs and had everything in cash plus he had 9 babies by 5 women that he knew about. The other was a lady who worked at a school cafeteria and was busted for stealing a computer, which was caught on video, so nothing to go after there. The last one I am suing and garnishing wages though this may also be a waste of time, but we will see.

Anyway, I have had negative experiences with blacks as far as renters. My experience with hispanics has been much more positive. They pay on time and do not give excuses. They are not as prone to cause trouble as they fear deportation (my renters are illegal Mexicans) and basically hardworking, good people. They also will not run you thru the courts, where the city of Chicago defends them for free and the laws are written in their favor. It is interesting to note that my renters have requested that I not rent to blacks so long as they are living there. There seems to be great animosity towards blacks from hispanics, particularly Mexicans. Puerto Ricans seem to get along only a little better.
Thats just it, we were TAUGHT not to hate people by their skin color. In Latin American countries no one teaches them this. I don't even believe they talk about racism, they see it as something normal. That allows us to point things out like this because here in the U.S, it is socially unacceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration