Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 05:55 AM

128 posts, read 94,167 times

Advertisements

With all the talk about illegal aliens stealing American jobs is that really an accurate statement. Personally as far as I can tell it has not affected my business whatsoever but every business is different. A business owner that I know employs illegals all the time. According to this one business owner illegals have helped grow his business dramatically. Stated he would love to hire Americans but can't find good help. Today's youths just do not want to get their hand's dirty. Don't get me wrong by no means am I endorsing illegal immigration. However in the end are illegals really having a negative impact on our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 06:00 AM

25,895 posts, read 16,615,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
With all the talk about illegal aliens stealing American jobs is that really an accurate statement. Personally as far as I can tell it has not affected my business whatsoever but every business is different. A business owner that I know employs illegals all the time. According to this one business owner illegals have helped grow his business dramatically. Stated he would love to hire Americans but can't find good help. Today's youths just do not want to get their hand's dirty. Don't get me wrong by no means am I endorsing illegal immigration. However in the end are illegals really having a negative impact on our economy.
Is he giving them benefits, paying worker's comp on them so they are protected if they get hurt? Is he paying the proper taxes? Is he making sure they are E-verified? If not he belongs in prison.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:02 AM

30,795 posts, read 19,438,455 times
My brother in law had a concrete company that employed about 30 black laborers. His competition came in and hired nothing but Hispanics so he was forced to do the same (I guess his former employees went on welfare) to compete. There's no doubt Hispanic illegal labor has driven down the cost of construction and low cost labor in the areas where there are many Hispanics.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Is he giving them benefits, paying worker's comp on them so they are protected if they get hurt? Is he paying the proper taxes? Is he making sure they are E-verified? If not he belongs in prison.
As far as I know he only pays them cash under the table.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:06 AM

25,895 posts, read 16,615,720 times
Quote:
As far as I know he only pays them cash under the table.
Well, there's your answer. What he is doing is a crime and is terrible for the country.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Well, there's your answer. What he is doing is a crime and is terrible for the country.
Since he can't find good help what would his alternative be?

Old 01-03-2016, 06:19 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,871,867 times
quote:
Stated he would love to hire Americans but can't find good help. Today's youths just do not want to get their hand's dirty.

Sick of hearing this. Perhaps today's "youth" don't want to, but I sure as hell know there are people in their 30's, 40's, and beyond who DO, but are completely shut out of the market because they don't find living in illegal apartments with 10 grown men (and their baby mommas and multiple children) very attractive.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:21 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,247,625 times
Quote:

About five years ago I needed a new roof. It was over $10K. I put it out for bid; I did want my money to go back into our community. Me and my wife decided to go with a new firm that had just moved into our area. I had asked the owner specifically if they used local workers and he answered yes. When they showed up only the foreman of the team of eight spoke English. They did do good work and were very fast - they did not even take breaks or lunch (which I don't necessarily think is a good work practice since I was a union member).

I cannot say for sure they were illegals - I don't know? But I do know that our $10K did not go to the people I thought would receive those funds - it could have gone to immigrants that shipped our money back to their country to help bring in more and take more American jobs?

Of course many of our 'local' companies have gone out of business trying to compete with companies that have an unfair advantage. If the owners and workers of the used-to-be companies do not get other employment; then that tax burden is passed on to the other companies/business that are left. Don't forget, that if you are using illegal immigrants, that there is a good chance that you are also not reporting everything - you already broke our law.

So, basically, your friend prospered because he broke our laws and did not compete fairly against his competition. He also increased your tax burden if you do play by the rules.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Sick of hearing this. Perhaps today's "youth" don't want to, but I sure as hell know there are people in their 30's, 40's, and beyond who DO, but are completely shut out of the market because they don't find living in illegal apartments with 10 grown men (and their baby mommas and multiple children) very attractive.
According to this business owner paying on average $150 cash per day. I wouldn't call that starvation wages.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
So, basically, your friend prospered because he broke our laws and did not compete fairly against his competition. He also increased the your tax burden if you do play by the rules.
Again i'm not endorsing illegal immigration. However if business owners can't find good help. What are they supposed to do...go out of business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration