Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 03:28 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
As a non-Yank, I'd like to see THAT !
Close downthe 800-1000 military bases you have around the globe.
(Anybody who has THAT many enemies or potential enemies probably should be asking itself "Why?").
Withdraw the hundreds of thousands of troops which could be demobbed and doing something productive at home.
Bring your entire navy home - stop intimidating the world.
Disband the vast CIA octopus and all its "dirty tricks" operations.
STOP meddling in the internal affairs of sovereign nations.
STOP funding regimes like Israel - in breach of more UN resolutions than any nation on the planet.

Try GENUINE level-playing-field Free Trade by ceasing to subsidize your farmers and all the other economic nasties you engage in.

THEN see how well your materialistic consumer-crazy society sshapes up with only the petroleum you can produce at home, no more of all those luxury goodies from China, Japan or wherever.

This should be FUN to watch.
That makes a lot of sense.....anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,176,879 times
At this point, we have a strong enough military to take care of any threats. We're one of the strongest nations. Nationalism is one reasons a lot of wars take place. I guess the previous generations felt they had something to prove. That mentality never disappeared though. Now it just exists on our streets (gangs) and people wonder where that attitude came from. Of course, I love living in the US, but I, like many other young Americans, are interested in foreign cultures. I think the older generation doesn't understand that because if they lived around war times, the US would use propaganda that was basically used to get Americans to oppose other nations. I notice my parents, who lived through most of the Cold War except for the first few years, have bad things to say about the Vietnamese, North Koreans, Communists (I don't like communism myself, but don't discriminate against people who do), etc. These days, there is the talk about the Middle East, but it's more jokes than actual hatred. At least from what I've experienced. Anyway, I like my nations and wouldn't change it, but extreme nationalism doesn't appeal to me. Its effect between European nations will remain notorious. I'm kind of off topic, so I'll just summarize.

That extreme pride thing isn't gone. It just moved to the inner-city streets. When you think about it, there is no difference between the Crusades, the dozens of nationalist conflicts that have occurred in Europe, and gang violence. All the same cause. The "We're better than you because we do this (worship something, do something other nations don't, sell drugs, etc) and we have this (money and territory for all three) and if you don't think so, we can go to war (all three again)." mentality. That's just my take on it.

Signed

A 90's baby

Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Freda View Post
As a non-Yank, I'd like to see THAT !
Close downthe 800-1000 military bases you have around the globe.
(Anybody who has THAT many enemies or potential enemies probably should be asking itself "Why?").
Withdraw the hundreds of thousands of troops which could be demobbed and doing something productive at home.
Bring your entire navy home - stop intimidating the world.
Disband the vast CIA octopus and all its "dirty tricks" operations.
STOP meddling in the internal affairs of sovereign nations.
STOP funding regimes like Israel - in breach of more UN resolutions than any nation on the planet.

Try GENUINE level-playing-field Free Trade by ceasing to subsidize your farmers and all the other economic nasties you engage in.

THEN see how well your materialistic consumer-crazy society sshapes up with only the petroleum you can produce at home, no more of all those luxury goodies from China, Japan or wherever.

This should be FUN to watch.
Hey, I would like to see us close down all our foreign bases, and keep our military RIGHT on our borders, defending OUR national waters, and our territory.

And I hate the materialism and conspicuous consumption I see around me. "Things" are not important.

Last edited by TKramar; 02-15-2008 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: addition of more info

Old 02-16-2008, 07:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,646,233 times
And I would like to see a "luxury" product from China! Anyone seen such a product???

Old 02-16-2008, 12:59 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,953,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
And I would like to see a "luxury" product from China! Anyone seen such a product???
Won-tons?

Old 02-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Ha, ha.....actually I like Thai food much better than Chinese.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:41 PM

126 posts, read 280,628 times
Quote:
I have also thought that as well. Sign of the times. Roll up the borders, sit tight and point the weapons in the right direction. Doesn't mean we can't get busy here on the inside taking care of our own. And throwing out the trash....
Hey lilypad, be careful when we start throwing out the trash

Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 PM

Well, we could throw it over the border where it belongs......

Old 02-17-2008, 05:57 AM

132 posts, read 244,903 times
Quote:
Top Chinese Exports & Imports: Most Popular Products Traded Between China & America (http://internationaltrade.suite101.com/article.cfm/top_chinese_exports_imports - broken link)
Of the $287.8 billion in American imports from China in 2006, the following product categories had the highest values.
  1. Computer accessories, peripherals and parts …US$28.9 billion (10.1% of China to U.S. exports, up 12.4% from 2005)
  2. Miscellaneous household goods (e.g. clocks) … $26.5 billion (9.2%, up 17.2%)
  3. Toys & sporting goods (e.g. bicycles) … $22.2 billion (7.7%, up 10.2%)
  4. Computers … $17.4 billion (6%, up 20.2%)
  5. Non-cotton household furnishings & clothing … $14.6 billion (5.1%, up 11.3%)
  6. Video equipment (e.g. DVD players) … $14.5 billion (5.0%, up 34.9%)
  7. Household furniture … $13.2 billion (4.6%, up 14.3%)
  8. Footwear ... $10.7 billion (3.7%, up 11.1%)
  9. Cotton household furnishings & clothing … $9.9 billion (3.4%, up 29.6%)
  10. Telecommunications equipment … $8.3 billion (3.0%, up 23.7%)
To much of the world, Lilypad, a goodly percentage of these items would indeed be considered "luxuries" rather than necessities of life.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,038 times
Question for consideration......and this is regarding the vast capitalism, consumerisms issue
If we didnt HAVE 20million++++++ illegals here to support would we need as much imports as are currently comeing in from China?????
Just a question to postulate.
I dont buy chinese crap. I take the time to look at the label......
I do admit to buying items made in Mexico as I do believe that helps to stabilize the economy in that country ......but.....If given the choice between a mexican made product and an American made product....i will buy American made........Why......because I still have loyalty to this country and my fellow Americans first........

Now that being said....I was in nam, My son was in Kosovo, Albania and Afghanistan. My Daughter has a year and a purple and a bronze star medal for service in Iraq. Wann know the color of their back bone well its not this>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I would strongly suggest you not spit on the American flag around my two heros. Yes I said heros. Not Spears or Hilton or Jackson...Nope real ameircans who like their dad and grand dad and Great grand dad all the way back to 1865, willing to fight , preserve and if necessary die to preserve this greatest of country's . So dont go saying that there are no loyal AMERICANS any more.

Do I approve of everything going on in this country now....of course not....Like this issue of illegal colonization of this country...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration