Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,487,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Ah - wouldn't it be lovely, though?
What a hypocritical argument. You're arguing against the very medium that you're using to communicate with.

If you:
a. Drive a car
b. Use the internet
c. Shop at the grocery store

then you tacitly support globalization. It seems that if you dislike globalization, maybe you should find alternatives:
a. Walk (but only with American-made shoes, from American-made materials)
b. Find an american-made string, and tie it between two american-made cans (the string, of course, should be made of American grown cotton, and manufactured in an American textile plant, with American looms. The cans should be of American bauxite and anhydrous ammonia, manufactured in America, of course)
c. Grow your own food, but only the food that's indigenous to North America (I think that limits you to what.. corn and squash?)

Quote:
Why do you think it can't be stopped, if everything we do is "man-made"? It's not like God has decreed it. We can stop lots of things, if we put our minds to it. Are you saying because of GREED, it can't be stopped? Or, what else is it?
I've already asked you what your plan was for stopping globalism. You ignored my question.

Last edited by anonymous; 02-07-2008 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:09 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,529,183 times
Quote:
Ah - wouldn't it be lovely, though?

Why do you think it can't be stopped, if everything we do is "man-made"? It's not like God has decreed it. We can stop lots of things, if we put our minds to it. Are you saying because of GREED, it can't be stopped? Or, what else is it?
No I am saying because one of mankind's basic instinct is to barter with each other, I don't think you can confine it. The world has become much smaller these days.

If you want to be isolationists then unplug yourself from the internet and go live in the woods far away from cell and cable coverage. Good luck with that.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:12 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,577,572 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm an isolationist, too.

Why the heck are we building up the middle classes in other countries, like Communist China or India, instead of HERE in our own country where the backbone of our society is crumbling? What is the matter with this picture? Where are the brains of our so-called leaders? MONEY, GREED. That's it.

They think of us only as "consumers" now - not citizens, which is what we ARE!
Many Mexican writers have blamed many of Mexico's problems and poverty on its paranoid "isolationism" in the past. Mexico made it VERY difficult for foreigners to do business there, and that's blamed for "holding back Mexico's progress". They are now encouraging outside investment, and apparently "catching up" with the world.

How true this is, I couldn't say....but I just don't think there coukl EVER be anything like isolationism any more....not if you want prosperity...I understand your sentiments, but I think it's "not an option".

Old 02-07-2008, 09:12 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,347,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
What a hypocritical argument. You're arguing against the very medium that you're using to communicate with.

If you:
a. Drive a car
b. Use the internet
c. Shop at the grocery store

then you tacitly support globalization.

I've already asked you what your plan was for stopping globalism. You ignored my question.
We'd have to start thinking in terms of America first, and quit worrying about other countries. It's a matter of becoming isolationists. Now, what's your plan?

My father shopped at the grocery store in 1930, and drove a car in 1937, he didn't have internet, but you can do those other things without globalization. In fact, the products were made in America!! Imagine that.

The internet is a good and a bad thing - lots of kids today don't have any idea how to deal with other people face-to-face. Of course, we all use it, just like we all use telephones. Do telephones mean I'm a globalist, too?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:17 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,529,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sadly, I'd have to concede this point. There's just no way to stop progress, good OR bad progress. WE can't "Un-Invent" Nuclear weapons, NOR the internet. In a free society, we can't REALLY even keep terrorists out---not completely.
Globalism is very DEFINITELY a "double-edged sword".

Having said all that, I DO predict a "hardening" of our American attitude. We are going to be FORCED to make a few adjustments in our outlook, sad as that sounds. We have no choice.....without that, we'd soon be overwhelmed by the poverty, dissension and chaos of the "Real World" out there, where the "average human" lives.

We may see a few of our freedoms and rights being curtailed over the years..better get used to it.
What more tariffs and taxes? US can't stop importing or outsourcing talent from other countries, it would cripple us. Can't stop importing cheap goods, our people won't be able to afford to live here.

A restriction of globalism in American is a restriction of growth. Dubai is already turning into the new Las Vegas and New York, do we really want America to fall so far behind?

I have an idea you want to see more "Made in America" everyone? Then go innovate, I mean we can get rid of the cheap manual labor from SOB right? Why can't we build machines to make things cheaper than letting the Chinese build them? Go clock in and execute the "made in America" plan! I am all for it, but expect global competition.

As a consumer, I am not buying a Harley Davidson if I like the Yamaha better and it is cheaper, sorry.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Many Mexican writers have blamed many of Mexico's problems and poverty on its paranoid "isolationism" in the past. Mexico made it VERY difficult for foreigners to do business there, and that's blamed for "holding back Mexico's progress". They are now encouraging outside investment, and apparently "catching up" with the world.

How true this is, I couldn't say....but I just don't think there coukl EVER be anything like isolationism any more....not if you want prosperity...I understand your sentiments, but I think it's "not an option".
Prosperity is not necessarily a good thing, if it means, as it does now, we have a small group of rich elites who have all the money, and the rest of us don't even have proper wage increases. Is that prosperity? Is that the way you want to have your children live?

I'm lucky, because I'm kind of old, and won't have to live my whole life in a world without compassion - a world with upside-down values.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
We'd have to start thinking in terms of America first, and quit worrying about other countries. It's a matter of becoming isolationists. Now, what's your plan?

My father shopped at the grocery store in 1930, and drove a car in 1937, he didn't have internet, but you can do those other things without globalization. In fact, the products were made in America!! Imagine that.

The internet is a good and a bad thing - lots of kids today don't have any idea how to deal with other people face-to-face. Of course, we all use it, just like we all use telephones. Do telephones mean I'm a globalist, too?

All true. all fair points, but you just can't do it. Remember "Y-2K" when we thought all computers would crash? It would have DEVASTATED our entire society. If the computers at the bank "crap out", the practical effect is that you CAN'T GET YOUR MONEY for a few days...there's no real "alternative" to their system.

Remember the guy who once wrote "If the automobile had never been invented, life would be peaceful, and safe, and quiet....but New York City would be five feet deep in Horse Poop".....

I do share some of your sentiments--just don't think we have a lot of choice.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,487,633 times
Quote:
My plan? I don't have a plan to become an isolationist. I think it's a terrible idea.

Quote:
Were they? How do you know that? This continent has been importing and exporting goods since before the U.S. was even a country.

His 1937 automobile - where did the rubber for his tires come from?
His grocery store - did he only eat American Bison? Cows and pigs are the result of globalization - they were imported from Eurasia.

Quote:
Yep, it does.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
My plan? I don't have a plan to become an isolationist. I think it's a terrible idea.

Were they? How do you know that? This continent has been importing and exporting goods since before the U.S. was even a country.

His 1937 automobile - where did the rubber for his tires come from?
His grocery store - did he only eat American Bison? Cows and pigs are the result of globalization - they were imported from Eurasia.

Yep, it does.
Well, gosh, guess I can't get away from it, then. Sigh......just lucky to be an older person who will not be around for too many years. Because, folks, it's NOT a good world today. It does not work except for the rich - globalization is for that reason only - it's all about cheap labor, cheap goods, and then making the rest of us slaves to the corporations and their fat cat CEO's. Without a middle class in this country, it will become like a 3rd world cesspool.

So, we will have all these poor people who slave away for the corporations who have all the money. Great. Glad I won't be around.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
What more tariffs and taxes? US can't stop importing or outsourcing talent from other countries, it would cripple us. Can't stop importing cheap goods, our people won't be able to afford to live here.
want America to fall so far behind?
Not so much that--I'm talking about freedoms. If we have another terrorist incident, it's possible we'll have no choice but to SEVERERLY profile people. If sentiment against illegals doesn't settle down soon, it could be that ALL of us will be ASSUMED to be illegal, and will be required to be able to "prove" that we're NOT.
It's impossible to sort out the "bad guys" in a free society. THe only way to "find them" is to LOOK---and you can imagine what THAT might mean.
I've even noticed more prejudice these days against Hispanics. Wrong as that is, it's PARTIALLY fuleled by the fact of the millions of illegals here. Anyone who has a "gripe" against Hispanics does have SOME argument--(the fact that millions of them ARE, in fact, illegal). Hispanics are already, to a certain extent, among some elements of society, being asked to "prove" they belong here (thus the hateful term "legal Hispanic"). Nasty as this may be, the "racists" wouldn't have an argument if all Hispanics were here LEGALLY.

(Of course, the racists would come up with ANOTHER reason to hate Hispanics...but at least they'd look a lot 'sillier' than they do now)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration