Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:56 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,711,006 times

Advertisements

the biggest lie or talking point is that illegals are doing the jobs that nobody else wants.

that's not how it works. if a job is available, someone, will fill that job at some point.

period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 02:44 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
the biggest lie or talking point is that illegals are doing the jobs that nobody else wants.

that's not how it works. if a job is available, someone, will fill that job at some point.

period.
Of course it is a lie. Americans will do any job as long as we get paid fair wages. One of my first jobs was lifting 100 pound bags of chemicals off the floors of boxcars. This was before the manufacturers started using 'slip skids' which happened back in the late 1960's. Two of us would lift 240,000 pounds each day off the floors of three boxcars. Sometimes the summer temperatures, inside those boxcars, would go over 100 degrees. When I came home I could wring the sweat out of my clothes. By the way, I wasn't complaining; I was proud that I could even do a tough job like that. I also did not have to watch my waistline and I received good compensation for my hard work.

As far as crops rotting in the fields: The days of the 'farm workers' are numbered: Robots that are replacing farm workers - Business Insider. Robotics are coming faster than we think and it isn't just farm work: https://www.engadget.com/2015/05/22/...ar-pittsburgh/ or Automation displacing more workers in the fast-food industry.

So the question should be if we need any workers; let alone immigrants or, worse yet, illegal immigrants? My feeling is that it is unhealthy for America to do nothing - which is the direction we are headed. Just look at our waistlines! We are becoming fatter, dumber and lazier - because our choices are very narrow. Human evolution took thousands of years to get us where we are today and that will change overnight.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:06 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Of course it is a lie. Americans will do any job as long as we get paid fair wages. One of my first jobs was lifting 100 pound bags of chemicals off the floors of boxcars. This was before the manufacturers started using 'slip skids' which happened back in the late 1960's. Two of us would lift 240,000 pounds each day off the floors of three boxcars. Sometimes the summer temperatures, inside those boxcars, would go over 100 degrees. When I came home I could wring the sweat out of my clothes. By the way, I wasn't complaining; I was proud that I could even do a tough job like that. I also did not have to watch my waistline and I received good compensation for my hard work.

As far as crops rotting in the fields: The days of the 'farm workers' are numbered: Robots that are replacing farm workers - Business Insider. Robotics are coming faster than we think and it isn't just farm work: https://www.engadget.com/2015/05/22/...ar-pittsburgh/ or Automation displacing more workers in the fast-food industry.

So the question should be if we need any workers; let alone immigrants or, worse yet, illegal immigrants? My feeling is that it is unhealthy for America to do nothing - which is the direction we are headed. Just look at our waistlines! We are becoming fatter, dumber and lazier - because our choices are very narrow. Human evolution took thousands of years to get us where we are today and that will change overnight.

There are still plenty of Americans willing to do blue collared jobs. They were already doing them before millions of cheap, illegal aliens flooded our border.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:58 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,525,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There are still plenty of Americans willing to do blue collared jobs. They were already doing them before millions of cheap, illegal aliens flooded our border.
That's right

Old 09-02-2016, 05:56 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
How many people here are on the waiting list to wash dishes, pick crops or get on a roof? Zero? That's what I thought.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:58 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
How many people here are on the waiting list to wash dishes, pick crops or get on a roof? Zero? That's what I thought.
I have loaded hay wagons and shoveled manure. I have been on hot roofs and I have fallen off roofs - fortunately into soft backfill. I have never washed dishes; but I have crawled through sewage to fix broken pipes. People will do what they have to do to survive - as long as we are paid fairly. The problem is that some corporations and fat cats want to make as much as they can and they don't want to share with their employees. They don't even want to share with immigrants if they can find a robot to replace them.

I will grant you that there are some lazy Americans. But America is not the only country with lazy people. If you go back thirty or forty years our politicians would brag about how Americans were the most productive people in the world. Of course that was before the globalization and leaders that then decided to put down the people that paid their bills!

Old 09-02-2016, 10:50 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Maybe not the people here. But plenty of Americans have trouble finding manual labor jobs and they pay has stagnated.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:18 AM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:

Just where is this waiting list? Americans were already replaced on the jobs you mentioned by cheap, illegal workers. As for picking crops there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers and only 2% of illegals are picking crops.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Illegals taking Jobs from Americans

Well, I started in the construction trades right out of high school.

In 10 years the 1986 green card act was passed. Within one year of that passing, I was no longer framing homes like I had 10 years prior. House painting and roofing was a short stint, before I was out of work, or lower my price significantly. Then off to the flooring trades.
By 2004 I could only get work, if I significantly lowered my price per sq.ft. and I had to take a one price fits all attitude just to land a bid to feed the family, which basically bankrupted me, as no 2 jobs are the same.
It came to the point, I was going to have to join them if I could not beat them. It was either hire a bunch of illegals and pray for volume, over quality to make it, or close the business and let them have it. I refused to hire illegals, so I had to reprogram myself, from the craftsman I am, to a inspector of those doing the work. From Blue collar and loving it to white collar and hating it.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
In the 80's my now father-in-law had an illegal helping him work the farm. Working on the tractors and vehicles, repairing the feeders in the chicken barns....
1986 came along and my now father-in-law, following the law, took his wet to get him green carded.... Less than a year, the illegal, now here legally, left the farm. He went into town now without fear and opened an automotive repair shop. He called all his buddies and family in Mexico to come on over. He had work for them.

And it started from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration