Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 02:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I'm a white male. My GP is from India, did her undergrad and med school in India, and all of her post med school training at Emory in Atlanta. She's a natural....some people you just get the sense they were born to be doctors .
I don't follow...but it could be because you just commented to a post that I made 23 months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 04:04 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
I guess it has something to do with looking at the American flag, hand over heart and saying, no, pledging "With Liberty and Justice for All" many, many times during my life. "For All", not for white, or black, or brown, or rich or poor, "For All". It gives you something to believe in. A higher moral purpose if you will. Something many people in this country seem to be lacking at the moment.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:58 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I guess it has something to do with looking at the American flag, hand over heart and saying, no, pledging "With Liberty and Justice for All" many, many times during my life. "For All", not for white, or black, or brown, or rich or poor, "For All". It gives you something to believe in. A higher moral purpose if you will. Something many people in this country seem to be lacking at the moment.
It doesn't say 'For all THE WORLD'.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:11 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Yes, liberty and justice for all Americans and legal immigrants, not illegal aliens. Americans and legal immigrants are of all races and skin colors, etc. so who's being discriminated against?

Old 01-14-2019, 07:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
The reason they care is quite simple. The census counts illegals, that count among other things is used to distribute some federal tax dollars. What may those other thing be? Just some House seats and the Electoral College votes that go with them.

As it stands now because of the illegal population one estimate has California with 5 extra House seats/votes, TX 2, NY 1, WA 1 and Fl 1. If those seats were reallocated based on the legal population they would all go to red/purplish states, everyone of them voted for Trump last election. Here is the list, if your state is on this list you have been robbed of a House seat and electoral college vote by the illegal population.

Quote:
Iowa, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania.
Electoral College votes allocated based on the legal population widens Trumps margin of victory in 2016 by 20.

Here is a Politco article for reference, it was published prior to the election and outlines the unlikely but possible scenario where the illegal population gives Hillary the win.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...clinton-213216

Old 01-14-2019, 07:57 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
I do not know of anyone, in my circle, that cares for 'illegal aliens' more than Americans.

However, during my rather long life here in Texas, I have known many 'illegals' from Mexico. Indeed, during the 1970s I worked with many, when I worked at my families iron factory, and doing work building swimming pools.

I know, without actually 'knowing', that the Hispanics that replaced my roof, twice, in the past two years, were probably illegals. Just a few weeks ago, two Hispanics came out and replaced all of my windows. I doubt they were legal.

One thing I have learned over the decades: Those that some up from Mexico come to work, and to send money home to their families. I cannot imagine how these people sending American Dollars back to their families hurts our economy. I have yet to read a persuasive argument. We have had, on the main. a 'good' economy over the past years.

I do care for these illegals I have met. They have all been good people. I have had no trouble with inviting them into my house to use the bathroom, cool off, or whatever.

I am an atheist. Perhaps that is why I do not view them automatically as 'criminals' or such.

One last note: as I have written before, my grandfather owned an iron and steel plant here in Fort Worth. His workers were mostly illegals, because Americans (even blacks after 1970 or so) would not do the work.

Anyway, for years ICE (or their earlier counterpart) would raid the plant, and cart all of the illegals off. They mainly came from one village in Mexico.

My grandfather (and then my uncle) made sure that each deported worker got their wages, sent to their village in Mexico. This was a big deal to the workers.

Said exported workers would creep back into the Unites States, and come back to our plant. My mother had told me that my grandfather would use the time the workers were out of country to re-tool the plant. He would accept the workers back, and so on to the next raid.

Of course, my working at the plant was 'strange'. I was one of the few white workers (save for a semi-retarded friend of mine), or the truck drivers, or the (of course) supervisors.

Texans have, and will, rely on lower-wage workers from "Down South" to do our messier work. It has been so for several hundred years. Indeed, I will note that most great empires rely on 'cheap' workers. It is capitalism at its finest.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I do not know of anyone, in my circle, that cares for 'illegal aliens' more than Americans.

However, during my rather long life here in Texas, I have known many 'illegals' from Mexico. Indeed, during the 1970s I worked with many, when I worked at my families iron factory, and doing work building swimming pools.

I know, without actually 'knowing', that the Hispanics that replaced my roof, twice, in the past two years, were probably illegals. Just a few weeks ago, two Hispanics came out and replaced all of my windows. I doubt they were legal.

One thing I have learned over the decades: Those that some up from Mexico come to work, and to send money home to their families. I cannot imagine how these people sending American Dollars back to their families hurts our economy. I have yet to read a persuasive argument. We have had, on the main. a 'good' economy over the past years.

I do care for these illegals I have met. They have all been good people. I have had no trouble with inviting them into my house to use the bathroom, cool off, or whatever.

I am an atheist. Perhaps that is why I do not view them automatically as 'criminals' or such.

One last note: as I have written before, my grandfather owned an iron and steel plant here in Fort Worth. His workers were mostly illegals, because Americans (even blacks after 1970 or so) would not do the work.

Anyway, for years ICE (or their earlier counterpart) would raid the plant, and cart all of the illegals off. They mainly came from one village in Mexico.

My grandfather (and then my uncle) made sure that each deported worker got their wages, sent to their village in Mexico. This was a big deal to the workers.

Said exported workers would creep back into the Unites States, and come back to our plant. My mother had told me that my grandfather would use the time the workers were out of country to re-tool the plant. He would accept the workers back, and so on to the next raid.

Of course, my working at the plant was 'strange'. I was one of the few white workers (save for a semi-retarded friend of mine), or the truck drivers, or the (of course) supervisors.

Texans have, and will, rely on lower-wage workers from "Down South" to do our messier work. It has been so for several hundred years. Indeed, I will note that most great empires rely on 'cheap' workers. It is capitalism at its finest.

There aren't any jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage. I'm not buying that they won't as they always have. It is against the law to hire illegal aliens. By hiring them because they work for less screws Americans out of a job also. So it's unlawful and anti-American. Texans who hire them and any other others are despicable, IMO.

Capitalism does not cancel nor negate our immigration laws. It never has. Illegal aliens burden the taxpayer by over $100 billion a year. How is that fair to them?

Old 01-15-2019, 03:20 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,522,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There aren't any jobs that Americans won't do for a fair wage. I'm not buying that they won't as they always have. It is against the law to hire illegal aliens. By hiring them because they work for less screws Americans out of a job also. So it's unlawful and anti-American. Texans who hire them and any other others are despicable, IMO.

Capitalism does not cancel nor negate our immigration laws. It never has. Illegal aliens burden the taxpayer by over $100 billion a year. How is that fair to them?
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that before Trump, most of us had no idea how much they were costing AMERICAN TAXPAYERS and they do care. It's disgusting. Just like probably before Romney in 2012, most people had no idea that 47% (now 45%) pay ZERO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES. I assure you it's not those at the 'tippy top'. People are waking up. Or as the Democrats are fond of saying, woke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration