Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 05:47 PM

42,869 posts, read 26,387,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarita-WJC4T68NKL View Post
It's a myth? Ahem! I was a registered Democrat all my life until November of 2015. Are you telling me I was in a coma all those decades? As Judge Judy is credited with saying: "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."
I don't buy it. Judging from your posts you've been a right winger since you got here from Cuba. In one of your posts you said you consider communism the ultimate goal of liberalism - that does not make sense for someone who claims that they were a democrat until 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 09:27 PM

63,061 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It's a myth. Alt-Right propaganda really. American liberals don't support any such thing.

Very few Americans (and almost nobody in Congress) supports open borders. Something like 75% plus support stricter immigration and better border controls. Fear mongering doesn't help win Americans to your side; it only alienates those with a open mind.

Actions speak louder than words and what's with this so-called fear mongering stuff?

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-22-2018 at 09:49 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 09:53 PM

63,061 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
I think liberals are very angry because the country is siding with Trump, while the globalist billionaires and globalist corporatists are siding with people like Ocasio Cortez. I have never quite seen a situation like this before. I know that liberals in the past were always very patriotic, flag-waving, put their country first, and so on. This is a first, that liberals are now putting foreigners first and America and Americans last.

The Democrats use to also care about the American worker once upon a time but how is that possible anymore when they want amnesty for millions of illegal aliens to retain their jobs?

Old 12-22-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I think liberals are very angry because the country is siding with Trump, while the globalist billionaires and globalist corporatists are siding with people like Ocasio Cortez. I have never quite seen a situation like this before. I know that liberals in the past were always very patriotic, flag-waving, put their country first, and so on. This is a first, that liberals are now putting foreigners first and America and Americans last.
You think the country is siding with Trump? Are you aware that his favorable rating is 40.3% and his unfavorable is 55%?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...able-5493.html

Old 12-23-2018, 01:33 AM

30,693 posts, read 18,326,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a liberal, I'm not in favor of this immigrant ban but mostly I dislike it because it was done so fast, without warning and it blindsided many innocent people. Of the people who were detained, some were elderly, others needed to be at work the next day, some were simply returning from visiting a sick parent, and one person I saw interviewed on tv had just come back from his father's funeral. They were all here LEGALLY.

To just suddenly ban them was needlessly cruel. Then, when asked why they did it without warning, they made up the excuse that bad people could have gotten through otherwise if there had been warning. (Was there some unknown sudden crisis?)

"Bad" people could have gotten through yesterday, the day before, or last week. Why this sudden ban?

Yes, we have to be careful with who we let in but there was no need to slap people around like this. Besides, they had already been vetted. Apparently Trump doesn't trust people to do their jobs at vetting? All of a sudden?

You had refugees who have already been vetted, LEGAL residents of the USA, and LEGAL green card holders. There's quite a difference between them and real ILLEGALS. I would rather go after the ILLEGALS. They have broken the law=illegal. We don't even know who they really are, what they have done before, they have received no background or medical checks and they have no papers.

A lot of these LEGAL immigrants/refugees who are being banned already hold important jobs here--they are researchers and medical people. They have families here and they came here THE RIGHT WAY, the LEGAL way. What a rotten way to treat the people who did it the right way.

As for the illegals, that's a totally different story and I hope someone can figure out how to deport many of them and maybe provide a pathway for the ones who were born here to somehow remain here. Those who were born here are US citizens, as you know. I really don't care if their illegal parents have to go home. They can always come back and visit and their kids can visit them too.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any method of predicting which people are going to turn radical. The first generation is usually fine--this has been shown over and over. It's their kids who could possibly turn radical and there is no way of knowing which ones it will be.

So I hope this explanation sheds some light on how some of us feel. BTW, Trump's mother was a dirt poor immigrant who came here to work as a house cleaner. And of course, his current wife is an immigrant too.
There was more than a year's worth of warning as Trump campaigned on this issue every day.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Yes. The poll companies have him at that percentage. The same polling companies that predicted a landslide win by Hillary Clinton and a miserable loss by President Donald Trump. (The poll companies are all leftist, owned by media companies, universities, and a couple are private).
You don't understand polling, do you? Predicting the outcome of an election involves the uncertainty of whether people will actually vote and if they do, will they change their mind. Comey reopening his investigation changed the trajectory of that race almost overnight.

Within a day of the Comey letter, Google searches for “Clinton FBI” had increased 50-fold and searches for “Clinton email” almost tenfold.

Quote:
Clinton’s standing in the polls fell sharply. She’d led Trump by 5.9 percentage points in FiveThirtyEight’s popular vote projection at 12:01 a.m. on Oct. 28. A week later — after polls had time to fully reflect the letter — her lead had declined to 2.9 percentage points. That is to say, there was a shift of about 3 percentage points against Clinton. And it was an especially pernicious shift for Clinton because (at least according to the FiveThirtyEight model) Clinton was underperforming in swing states as compared to the country overall. In the average swing state,3 Clinton’s lead declined from 4.5 percentage points at the start of Oct. 28 to just 1.7 percentage points on Nov. 4. If the polls were off even slightly, Trump could be headed to the White House. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-the-election/
Polling for an opinion, whether it is how people feel about a particular piece of legislation, whether they are religious or not, or how they feel about Trump is real simple. It's merely responding as to whether or not you like him/her/it or you don't. It might change over time but at the time the poll is taken it is accurate and if it's done scientifically there is enough of a representative cross section of the population to validate the results.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:45 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,392,629 times
To answer the original question, one must understand that liberals are mentally ill, so they're not thinking like normal people. They have problems understanding and accepting themselves, and therefore try make up for it by interfering in the lives of others. Unfortunately, today's leftists in America are Marxists in that they believe fully in the dichotomy of the exploitee and exploiter and will do anything to support that, including squashing human endeavors.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:32 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,775,177 times
Quote:
It's a myth. Alt-Right propaganda really. American liberals don't support any such thing.

Very few Americans (and almost nobody in Congress) supports open borders. Something like 75% plus support stricter immigration and better border controls. Fear mongering doesn't help win Americans to your side; it only alienates those with a open mind.
Liberals say they support strict immigration and border control and in the next breath they expect us to let in anyone that says the magic word “asylum”, a word that economic migrants are coached to say when apprehended. Liberals as well fight to stop ICE from deporting any illegals that get caught, including those who have been arrested for various crimes. Liberals say they don’t but by their actions they very much do support open borders.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:01 PM

17,746 posts, read 6,987,200 times
Quote:

Congressional Democrats are on record as being opposed to almost every single border security measure and every reasonable measure to fight illegal immigration.

Cite what they have done about illegal immigration. They haven't done ANYTHING except oppose legislation like Kate's Law. They support sanctuary cities and want to abolish ICE. On top of that, they call those of us who want our immigration laws enforced racists.

You can tell yourself whatever you want, but the truth is that your party is in fact for open borders and everyone knows it. If they weren't, they would act otherwise.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Congressional Democrats are on record as being opposed to almost every single border security measure and every reasonable measure to fight illegal immigration.

Cite what they have done about illegal immigration. They haven't done ANYTHING except oppose legislation like Kate's Law. They support sanctuary cities and want to abolish ICE. On top of that, they call those of us who want our immigration laws enforced racists.

You can tell yourself whatever you want, but the truth is that your party is in fact for open borders and everyone knows it. If they weren't, they would act otherwise.
That's simply untrue. In 206 and 2013 Democrats supported bipartisan senate immigration bills that included improved border security, a new worker visa program and the 2013 bill included mandatory e-verify, both bills died when the Republican majority house refused to vote on them.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...bills-2006-20/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration