Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:41 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,522,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most Officers see no purpose in a 'round up' of illegal aliens, all it does is make them afraid to report crime or testify as a witness to crime. You really don't know jack about CHP if you think they are 'waiting to bust illegal alien'
Any actual evidence of this ? I know the pro illegal crowd often repeats it .
Regardless this isn't a good enough justification to be pro illegal .

. Also there have been no random round ups of illegals in L.A . They have all been people that committed crimes .
The " abuelita that is afraid to get arrested at bingo " are all lies and fear mongering by Garcetti and the other pro illegal crowd . Grandmas aren't being rounded up unless they are also drug dealers or gang members etc .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:51 AM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Def time to get the Dept of Justice in on this hot mess. It's called game ON.

CHP: I'm guessing your info's wrong since I know several Officers, many retired who'd be cuffing and stuffing illegals.
There is no game on, DOJ cannot require that a state enforce Federal law, did you not bother to read the link I posted? I'm retired law enforcement and my ex husband was CHP. I do not know any currently employed or retired law enforcement who want to 'cuff and stuff' anyone. My guess is if 'several officers' actually told you that it was braggadocio that happens after drinking too much beer. Arresting people is not fun it's work, most of which is very boring and entails writing reports and hanging out at the jail waiting for them to process your prisoner. People who think otherwise generally watch way, way too many police shows on TV

Old 04-11-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Any actual evidence of this ? I know the pro illegal crowd often repeats it .
Regardless this isn't a good enough justification to be pro illegal .
. Also there have been no random round ups of illegals in L.A . They have all been people that committed crimes .
The " abuelita that is afraid to get arrested at bingo " are all lies and fear mongering by Garcetti and the other pro illegal crowd . Grandmas aren't being rounded up unless they are also drug dealers or gang members etc .
Evidence of it, WTF??? Why don't you get out of the house and go ask some cops? Think about it, if undocumented people are afraid of the Police they won't report crime and they won't testify against criminals, what cop would want to alienate the population in such a way?

And I am not talking about arresting criminal aliens, that has been the policy for several years and no one has an issue with it, but lately ICE has been stretching that to include people with decades old misdemeanor arrests and I don't think very many 'real cops' would be impressed by that or excited about arresting people for crap like that.

What you don't understand is that ICE agents are wanna be cops, so a lot of them are thuggish. ICE doesn't pay nearly as well as California Police Officers so you aren't getting the pick of the litter. With ICE agents you're getting people who for one reason or another can't cut it in real law enforcement. When they got desperate for agents a few years ago and dropped the polygraph they ended up hiring MS 13 gang members. And I know you didn't want to hear that because they are probably your heroes but oh well....

Old 04-11-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
There is no game on, DOJ cannot require that a state enforce Federal law, did you not bother to read the link I posted? I'm retired law enforcement and my ex husband was CHP. I do not know any currently employed or retired law enforcement who want to 'cuff and stuff' anyone. My guess is if 'several officers' actually told you that it was braggadocio that happens after drinking too much beer. Arresting people is not fun it's work, most of which is very boring and entails writing reports and hanging out at the jail waiting for them to process your prisoner. People who think otherwise generally watch way, way too many police shows on TV
What about in the case of a known illegal alien gang member for example .
A police officer knows they are trouble and will very likely commit more crime and victimize more people .
But because of "sanctuary policies" nothing can be done to get them off the street until they are caught doing another crime .
This is why many are upset about these sanctuary policies . Really ends up protecting criminals .

Right now we could change policy and say illegal aliens with criminal records are no longer welcome here .
You think that aggressively rounding up known criminals like gang members drug dealers child molesters wouldn't be worthwhile ??

Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What about in the case of a known illegal alien gang member for example .
A police officer knows they are trouble and will very likely commit more crime and victimize more people .
But because of "sanctuary policies" nothing can be done to get them off the street until they are caught doing another crime .
This is why many are upset about these sanctuary policies . Really ends up protecting criminals .

Right now we could change policy and say illegal aliens with criminal records are no longer welcome here .
You think that aggressively rounding up known criminals like gang members drug dealers child molesters wouldn't be worthwhile ??
What are you even talking about "because of sanctuary policies". Even without 'sanctuary policies' a cop can't stop potential gang members for no reason and arrest them for immigration offenses. It's not legal to stop people on the street and ask them to prove that they are citizens. I know you are gonna hate to hear that but most of those gang members are US Citizens.

Sanctuary City doesn't mean what you think it does, here's a fairly good definition:

The term most commonly is used for cities that do not permit municipal funds or resources to be applied in furtherance of enforcement of federal immigration laws. These cities normally do not permit police or municipal employees to inquire about one's immigration status. The designation of Sanctuary City” has no legal meaning. List of Sanctuary cities

Obama's policy was that we deport undocumented people who have committed serious or violent crimes, I agree with that and I don't know too many people who don't.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
What are you even talking about "because of sanctuary policies". Even without 'sanctuary policies' a cop can't stop potential gang members for no reason and arrest them for immigration offenses. It's not legal to stop people on the street and ask them to prove that they are citizens. I know you are gonna hate to hear that but most of those gang members are US Citizens.

Sanctuary City doesn't mean what you think it does, here's a fairly good definition:

The term most commonly is used for cities that do not permit municipal funds or resources to be applied in furtherance of enforcement of federal immigration laws. These cities normally do not permit police or municipal employees to inquire about one's immigration status. The designation of Sanctuary City” has no legal meaning. List of Sanctuary cities

Obama's policy was that we deport undocumented people who have committed serious or violent crimes, I agree with that and I don't know too many people who don't.
Under federal law those gang members have no right to be here . Neither do the other illegals .
California can't make up their own immigration laws because they don't control immigration .

Local law enforcement like LAPD not working with ICE is actually much worse for non criminal illegals because it forces ICE to go into the communities to search for these illegals and then the non criminals are affected .

Makes a lot more sense for LAPD to simply work with ICE and get the criminals properly deported instead of sent back to the streets of L.A after serving time in jail .

I know you'll say that LAPD "don't got no time fo dat" or something similar though .

How many people are killed per year due to sanctuary city policies and don't say zero .

Old 04-11-2017, 12:38 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,295,744 times
I don't think people are saying local LEO is supposed to act as ICE, what were saying is they should be working with ICE. They should report illegals, whether they committed a crime or not, if they happen to come across them and identify them. SB 54 or whatever Kevin Leon's latest law wants to disconnect that line of communication.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:36 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,010,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I don't think people are saying local LEO is supposed to act as ICE, what were saying is they should be working with ICE. They should report illegals, whether they committed a crime or not, if they happen to come across them and identify them. SB 54 or whatever Kevin Leon's latest law wants to disconnect that line of communication.
Well, tell Congress to pass that law; Canada has a law doing requiring law enforcement to report illegals to CBSA. I STRONGLY disagree with these laws if they are simply targeting people for just being illegals rather than criminals.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:42 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,295,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
I STRONGLY disagree with these laws if they are simply targeting people for just being illegals rather than criminals.
Please explain why?

Old 04-11-2017, 05:07 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,938,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Well, tell Congress to pass that law; Canada has a law doing requiring law enforcement to report illegals to CBSA. I STRONGLY disagree with these laws if they are simply targeting people for just being illegals rather than criminals.
Then I'd stay away from Canada unless you're a Canadian citizen. I support Canada all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of: