Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 03:44 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In California if you are driving without a license it is chargeable as a misdemeanor or an infraction but it is at the discretion of the arresting Officer whether or not they take you to jail to be photographed and fingerprinted. But, the Officer has to have probable cause to pull you over. You can't have ID checkpoints and pull people over and demand their ID, and you can't target people and pull them over for the sole purpose of ascertaining if they have an ID.
O.K. and? You simply said what I said. Cops can't pull anyone over just because they want to.

So we are back to.......what law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
When driving. But not riding in the other seat or the back.

Argument has always been a somewhat un-American one...driving is a privilege not a right. Actually I think worth a Constitutional Amendment. ID only for driving matters.
You do NOT need an I.D. to ride in the back of the car. Unless the officer has a probable cause you can indeed tell him to bugger off.

"Am I under arrest"? If he says no, you leave. If he is going to say yes he has to have more of a real reason than you don't have to have an I.D. You do NOT have to carry an I.D. on you.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
This is true and I completely agree with this. So once someone comes across a LEO with probable cause and can't produce ID or ID says the person is illegal, the LEO should contact ICE if he suspects the person broke immigration laws and let them investigate.
He can if he wants to. If not, then he is under no obligation to.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Nope. The ID says the person is ineligible to vote...not that he is illegal. No ID the cop can arrest for driving. No reason to involve ICE.
It's always been up to the system that stops someone whether they will help pursue things. If you are wanted for failure to appear on a bounced check in Florida but get picked up in North Dakota, odds are North Dakota isn't going to hold you even though you are wanted.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:20 AM

59,438 posts, read 27,599,422 times
Quote:
I've read it, but did you? The law clearly states that concealing, harboring and shielding is illegal. A law enforcement agency that does not honor an ICE detainer is neither harboring, concealing or shielding. If the feds want to arrest the person they can, but the 10th amendment is clear that States are not required to enforce federal law.

For heaven's sake do yourself a favor and research this properly before you opine about it
"For heaven's sake do yourself a favor and research this properly before you opine about it"

I suggest YOU do the same and quit making such a fool of yourself.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:28 AM

Quote:
The post makes it clear that it refers to a specific "an alien". It requires that one do some of the acts with "an alien". It says nothing about loving or supporting "the aliens". And that is exactly how it is interpreted. And at that it is virtually unenforceable.

Define "Knowing or in reckless disregard".

The thing simply has no applicability to any general situation. Even someone who hires illegals would not qualify...nor someone who rents to them.

This whole thought is nonsense. They can fill up the detention centers in a couple of weeks. Then they get a few hundred more criminal aliens. What do they do with them?

Build or rent more detention space? With what. The Congress has past no new funding and has in fact said there will be none. The campaign would need tens of billions to be effective. It will get at best pocket change.

The only thing I can figure is the right wing is kind of dumb or driven to accept complete fantasy.

Nothing is happening but they feel victory...sad.
"The post makes it clear that it refers to a specific "an alien""

"(B) An alien described in this subparagraph is an alien who— (i) is an unauthorized alien"

Old 04-13-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
"Undocumented", aren't you aware that these people are stealing the identities of American citizens so are "documented" (ID fraud) and illegal aliens having entered the US without authorization. I can see if you didn't realize that why you would be confused.

Actually, ICE can swoop in to businesses and ask to see the documents that give the employees the right to work in the US and your illegal aliens and visa overstayers will have no or forged documents. When the police arrive, they ask for ID even if you are only reporting a crime or incident. The crime is not "not being a citizen", it is illegal entry which is a crime.

Improper entry is a CRIME: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...idavit-support

Unlawful presence, as in visa overstay, is a violation of federal immigration law but civil penalties of which deportation or removal are the prescribed ways of dealing with it.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/gre...idavit-support

"Google" before posting what you hear on liberal news for best results.

Liberals make no distinction between "legal" and "illegal". I have no idea what they teach in school anymore but obviously nothing to do with American government. Liberal media feeds them nothing but foolishness. Facts just get in their way!
"Unlawful presence, as in visa overstay, is a violation of federal immigration law but civil penalties of which deportation or removal are the prescribed ways of dealing with it."

I would like one of our esteemed supporters of illegals to tell us HOW, AFTER a VISA has EXPIRED and the person stays here, HOW do they support themselves WITHOUT breaking a bunch of laws?

If on a student VISA, they are ONLY ALLOWED to be a student at that school as long as their VISA is valid.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
If an Officer takes a report from a person who he suspects is not a citizen and calls ICE what in the world do you think they can do? Unless they have a warrant for the person they can flip ICE off and walk away.
As far as I can tell, MOST police officers, as well as mayors, governors etc., take and OATH to UPHOLD the Constitution AND the laws of the United States as well as their own municipality they work for.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
As far as I can tell, MOST police officers, as well as mayors, governors etc., take and OATH to UPHOLD the Constitution AND the laws of the United States as well as their own municipality they work for.
Which is why the courts have ruled that immigration enforcement is the job of Federal officials, not state or local.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:00 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,298,675 times
Quote:
Nope. The ID says the person is ineligible to vote...not that he is illegal. No ID the cop can arrest for driving. No reason to involve ICE.
Please stop being so pedantic. Illegals are being identified somehow. Why do you have an issue with a local LEO contacting a federal agency to investigate something further, whether it be DEA, FBI, DHS, ATF, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He can if he wants to. If not, then he is under no obligation to.
From what I have read so far you have added no value to this thread. We're not discussing people's feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
View detailed profiles of: