Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:59 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,411,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I still do not agree that it is impossible to fix this problem. Yes, it is going to cost plenty, but maybe it's worth it. Substantial reductions in illegal population size should be done before any talk of Amnesty. Getting our government to enforce tax laws and other laws will definitely have an effect on the number who stay. I don't think we should be throwing in the towel just yet.
Unrealistic. The popular will is for legalization not deportation. Only a minority favors deportation.

Even if you got it started it is doubtful any given government regime will last long enough to finish it which will take more than a decade. So you get it partially ramped up then shut it down.

We simply need to reduce it to the size of problem we are willing to staff immigration to enforce. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 01:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,943,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Unrealistic. The popular will is for legalization not deportation. Only a minority favors deportation.

Even if you got it started it is doubtful any given government regime will last long enough to finish it which will take more than a decade. So you get it partially ramped up then shut it down.

We simply need to reduce it to the size of problem we are willing to staff immigration to enforce. Simple as that.
Uh; looking at the comments section after MSN, Yahoo and so on, I'd say MOST people want illegal aliens gone, by force if needed.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:42 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,263,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; looking at the comments section after MSN, Yahoo and so on, I'd say MOST people want illegal aliens gone, by force if needed.
Exactly, well most people except bleeding heart liberals who do not mind spending our tax dollars but most likely would not wish a special tax be put on them to fund the illegals. Maybe we should start a poll, how many liberals would be willing to pay for the welfare etc of illegals out of their own pockets?

Old 05-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Exactly, well most people except bleeding heart liberals who do not mind spending our tax dollars but most likely would not wish a special tax be put on them to fund the illegals. Maybe we should start a poll, how many liberals would be willing to pay for the welfare etc of illegals out of their own pockets?
Again the sentiment is clear and has not changed in decades.

But go ahead. Try and get legislation that funds the immigration people at a level commensurate with actually deporting the illegals. About 3 or 4 times the present level.

I won't hold my breath. In fact it will be interesting to see how Trump does on his increased funding for immigration control in 2018. He has already punted on 2017.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:40 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,943,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Agreed.

Too; a LOT of at least rich "liberals" would say oh hell NO if their kind HAD to put up with illegal aliens living next door in their fancy parts of town.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:59 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,387,259 times
Quote:
Quite untrue. The carpenters and masons and electricians and such controlled the residential sub-contractors in the 1960s. Neither illegals or Hispanics played a significant role. The non union contractors came after the work in the 70s and 80s and basically ran the union guys out of residential. In Las Vegas there is not a single significant union contractor in the residential side. The unions however have a virtually complete hold on all major projects. The residential is all Hispanic and the big stuff is mostly Caucasian with some Blacks and Hispanics.

And yes there are illegals in the residential work force but they are a small minority. However Hispanic workers dominate. In specialties you may find a few white guys though the majority are Hispanic and everyone can speak Spanish.

The decision to reward the illegal aliens was made many years ago when the problem was allowed to reach a size where correcting it became a practical impossibility. Even today all the antis can do is prevent it being resolved. There is no will or resource to even attempt deporting most of them.
I've heard of plenty of American Citizens who would be happy to help round them up and deport them!

Old 05-23-2017, 03:24 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,906,904 times
Quote:
Quite untrue. The carpenters and masons and electricians and such controlled the residential sub-contractors in the 1960s. Neither illegals or Hispanics played a significant role. The non union contractors came after the work in the 70s and 80s and basically ran the union guys out of residential. In Las Vegas there is not a single significant union contractor in the residential side. The unions however have a virtually complete hold on all major projects. The residential is all Hispanic and the big stuff is mostly Caucasian with some Blacks and Hispanics.

And yes there are illegals in the residential work force but they are a small minority. However Hispanic workers dominate. In specialties you may find a few white guys though the majority are Hispanic and everyone can speak Spanish.

The decision to reward the illegal aliens was made many years ago when the problem was allowed to reach a size where correcting it became a practical impossibility. Even today all the antis can do is prevent it being resolved. There is no will or resource to even attempt deporting most of them.
You of course have a link that proves that the majority of electricians, carpenters, plumbers etc were Union prior to the 80's? Maybe in some major cities but certainly not across the land.
What is untrue is your notion that this nation needs illegals in order to function. WE don't. Nor do we need to reward illegals to solve the problem. Rewarding unwanted behavior is absolutely never a solution.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
You of course have a link that proves that the majority of electricians, carpenters, plumbers etc were Union prior to the 80's? Maybe in some major cities but certainly not across the land
I am referring primarily to residential construction in the SW. That is the primary area of Hispanic population, Hispanic domination of residential construction and the primary population of illegal aliens. I would agree it is not everywhere.

Quote:
What is untrue is your notion that this nation needs illegals in order to function. WE don't. Nor do we need to reward illegals to solve the problem. Rewarding unwanted behavior is absolutely never a solution.
That of course is a flat out lie. But quote me. Or apologize for your lie.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 AM

15,450 posts, read 25,897,362 times
Quote:

That last paragraph is what I'm saying. Enforcing certain existing laws will make a difference in the size of the population of the illegals. I'm talking more about self-deportation. Take away all the free stuff they are getting and enforce tax law on employers illegally hiring them, will make a difference. Besides, you can't give amnesty without making changes or it will just happen again. However, what I'm suggesting is Enforcing existing laws. No real change is needed.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That last paragraph is what I'm saying. Enforcing certain existing laws will make a difference in the size of the population of the illegals. I'm talking more about self-deportation. Take away all the free stuff they are getting and enforce tax law on employers illegally hiring them, will make a difference. Besides, you can't give amnesty without making changes or it will just happen again. However, what I'm suggesting is Enforcing existing laws. No real change is needed.
I would tend to agree but the tightening of the laws is practical only in some general reformation of the area. The business community can and will fight off any tightening of employment laws unless it is encompassed in an overall immigration reform bill. And free stuff is a right wing myth. It is jobs that are the issue. You will never be able to limit the rights of children of illegals born in the USA. That is Constitutional and cannot be restricted selectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration