Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:18 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,425,495 times

Advertisements

I moved from San Bernardino Ca. to Duncan, Oklahoma. last year to get away from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 01:48 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,747 times
Welcome to beautiful California, or, as the rest of the country calls you, Mexifornia.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I live in Los Angeles (sounds like a self-help support group greeting!)(And should be considered same!)

Illegals have changed the entire tenor of our lives for the worse. The 1994 Northridge earthquake changed the basic, diverse demographics in our San Fernando Valley neighborhood, with the foreclosures going to government program buyers, then, when the original buyers moved on, rented to the ever increasing populations of illegal relatives and aquaintances.

Illegals have shot at our nice dogs, totalled my cars three times in the last eight years (police reports confirm their status: all info was made up,) trashed a formerly nice middle-class/working class bedroom community, and changed all signage to foreign languages with no English alongside. Foreign nationals spit at me (a middle-aged caucasian woman) on the street when I pass by. The illegals I live by are mean-spirited, mysogynistic, have zero regard for anyone not from their home country and even less interest in American laws or American citizens, whether born or naturalized.

We are counting the days until my husband retires so that we we can move out of Los Angeles and back to America.
There has been illegals in Los Angeles since day one.. what are you talking about

Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,884 times
Quote:
...Illegals have changed the entire tenor of our lives for the worse. The 1994 Northridge earthquake changed the basic, diverse demographics in our San Fernando Valley neighborhood, with the foreclosures going to government program buyers, then, when the original buyers moved on, rented to the ever increasing populations of illegal relatives and aquaintances.
Quote:
.... However, in my own case of personal observations, I have a unique "before and after" viewpoint (see above post) of what a middle class neighborhood in Los Angeles transmogrified into after illegals became a dominant demographic.
exedous, if you hadn't read my second post in this thread, I'll further explain. After the 1986 change in so-called amnesty laws, the percentage of illegals increased. Los Angeles now sees 300 illegals arrive daily. However, my neighborhood saw an exponential increase in the illegals demographic even beyond this after the 1994 Northridge earthquake for the reasons stated above.

Did I prefer the neighborhood pre-1994 when it was truly diverse, with folks from all parts of the world, including what is now the primary source of illegals? Yes, because all were system, friendly, enjoying becoming Americans.

Now, with the overpowering demographic of illegals, the same neighborhood has taken the tenor of third world slums, with trash everywhere, heedless selfish people blasting arena-stadium-worthy p.a. sound systems 24/7, massive increases in gang activity and vandalism, increases in auto accidents for people around our block hit by licenseless hit and runners (illegals) and pet deaths by speeding cars in a residential street, and all English language signage disappearing without even "bi-lingual" concessions.

Original neighbors from Jamaica and Haiti said the neighborhood became untenable after the advent of so many illegals that they couldn't take it and moved. With a specific before and after comparison in tow, my neighborhood can attest to the fact that illegals have made our area worse, and that all the illegals who rent from their relatives who've since fled the trashiness here have very specifically worsened property values as well as quality of life for all who remain. I know many people in the system to become legal: they are assets to our country. It is impossible to justify any aspect of the presence of law-breaking illegals who, after thinking they've gotten away with a biggie, keep on breaking laws, and breaking laws, and breaking laws. I live with them: I know.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
WARNING--the following post contains humor and sarcasm. It is NOT recommended for those offended by such....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosarito View Post
Wow!!! You should move down here, we don't have any of those problems.
All well and good in your case--and you seem to be happy. But for the true xenophobe, your solution is a little like saying "I lived up in Chicago, and I got so tired of the hillbillies, the pickup trucks, the tobacco-spitting, and the confederate flags in my neighborhood, that I packed up and moved to Arkansas....".....hmmmmm......

In other words, your solution wouldn't work for just ANYONE.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
There has been illegals in Los Angeles since day one.. what are you talking about
True, they've been here 'forever'....and I've known many personally. Many had kids who became fine Americans, with a HIGH rate of military service. In 'nicer" times, the illegals were glad to be out of the poverty of Mexico, realized their 'gray area' status here, and generally lived 'below the radar'. They were very well 'tolerated', and it was generally seen as a 'victimless crime'. Very few people objected to their presence.

In recent times, all this has changed. The sheer volume of illegals has exploded. There's a new attitude of 'entitlement', even a militancy---and there's definitely a move out into the more 'desirable' jobs.

All this has predictably resulted in much ill-will towards illegals in general. The final straw in recent times was the INSANE spectacle of the Mexican flag-waving 'rampages'...and the occasonal burning of American flags. Even for many LIBERAL 'locals'...including MANY Hispanic-Americans--this "did it". They lost all sympathy for the 'movement'. I even asked my wife at the time, watching a 'rally' on TV, "Who do these guys get their "PR" ideas from?-the KKK ?"....This nonsense probably did MORE harm to the illegals' 'image' than anything else they could have done.

Yes, illegals have been here for a long, long time. But times have changed--and so have the illegals. (and so have the local Americans)..

PS..JUST REALIZED that this is practically a "repeat" of an earlier post on this same thread...ignore the 'bad parts' if you wish..

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,283 times
Were they Illegals? If they were Illegals why were they not deported?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not sure I follow your reasoning....how does the spectacle of boorish, ill-mannered Americans,(white or Non-white), in America, burning their own flag, because they're unhappy with their own country's policies, compare with the sitation in which foreigners illegally enter ANOTHER country, and show disrespect for IT, by waving THEIR flag and burning the "local's" flag?

I see no parallel here.

Mac, you said that very very well......Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 08:50 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
I would like to get input on residents of Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties of California on illegal immigration and how you think it has affected you or people around you. How has it affected your environment?
I live in Bakersfield, Kern County which isn't mentioned as it is technically in Central California but we have about 35% white, 35% mexican, 20% black, and the rest other. There are almost too many things to mention because, as a farming community, we have a larger than average illegal population. The BPD did set up a checkpoint at one point to see how many people didn't have a license and I believe the number was 5 out of 7 driving without a license. We have many instances of hit and runs and DUIs by illegal mexicans who run away from the cars and our jails are over capacity from the amount of illegals in them. Also, business owners have to be very careful about putting up warnings around things that could be potentially hazardous. For instance, we got this great new pond and park put in and within two months a Mexican who didn't pay attention to or couldn't read the sign (they've since added another in Spanish) drowned. The park is exactly two blocks from a Fire Station and it took them two minutes to get there from the time of the call but the family claimed that it took ten minutes because the Fire Department is "racist." So of course they're suing the city saying that it's their fault despite the signs all over the park warning people not to swim. I'm probably just bitter because illegal mexicans have ruined a lot of things in this city and make it very dangerous for law abiding citizens.

As for Ventura County, my family has a beach house in Oxnard but we don't see much of a presence in Oxnard. I know that downtown Oxnard is supposed to be pretty bad and on the 4th of July we get lots of Mexicans trying to park in front of our house (in reserved parking no less) to go to the beach and "celebrate" (leaving all of their trash and diapers on the beach). Overall, I'm pretty bitter about their noticable pesence in California because they ruin a lot of things. But my dad's secretary is a legal citizen who moved here from Mexico after she turned eighteen and she learned English and went to school, thus proving that immigrants don't need to be lazy criminals in America.

Last edited by tangodoodles; 04-01-2008 at 09:20 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Were they Illegals? If they were Illegals why were they not deported?
I'm going to PRETEND you didn't ask that question...because I KNOW you're not serious.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration