Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM

493 posts, read 638,766 times

Advertisements

I would like to get input on residents of Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties of California on illegal immigration and how you think it has affected you or people around you. How has it affected your environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,573,417 times
I live in Orange County. I have known, worked with, and enjoyed knowing illegal immigrants (mostly Mexican) for decades. For many years, they came here quietly, stayed 'below the radar", and really DID do the jobs few others wanted to. It was a 'win-win' situation. Ranches, nurseries, and orange growers were happy to have steady labor, and the illegals were happy to be out of the poverty of Mexico. It was hard NOT to admire their outlook on life. I even have a few in-laws who came illegally, decades ago. Their kids and grandkids are now proud Americans.

Lately, though, things have changed. Business has no loyalty to the public...so they either hire illegals to do jobs Americans DO want (at cut-rate wages)..or they simply close down and move operations off shore. Either way, the middle class loses.

In addition, in our new age of entitlement, the illegals, (like everyone ELSE) demand endless rights and concessions, which they are not entitled to. The atmosphere today is far more rancorous than before.

I WILL say, though, that I know a number of people today who are illegal....and I have never YET met an 'activist". Most of the folks I know just want to work. They see their illegal status as just a 'formality', like driving on an expired license, or adding a room without a building permit. They feel (rightfully, I think) that if the US was REALLY serious about keeping them out, it would DO SO. Meanwhile, most of them just keep working, willing to let those in power sort out the 'details".

That's my take.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,027,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
I would like to get input on residents of Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties of California on illegal immigration and how you think it has affected you or people around you. How has it affected your environment?
i came to so cal from dallas in 91 amd left in 2005 to san antonio. in that time, i noticed a big difference in the sheer numbers of immigrants (don't know about their status). first of all, unchecked immigration has made so cal very crowded! whole neighborhoods and cities have been transformed into local tijuanas. if you drive up and down the 710, parts of the 91 & 605, you will see what i mean. in certain cities like west hollywood and glendale, you will see large concentrations of russians and armenians respectively. many of these immigrants seemingly qualify for many social freebies. trust me on this. i lived in west hollywood for 8 years and constantly saw russian immigrants pay with food stamps and drive off in their late model cars. virtually all construction, painting, yardwork and fast food jobs are immigrant labor. you cannot go to many fast food restaurants (except in n out) and be served by an understandable english speaking american. one of the few good things that i can say about the immigrant explosion is that they probably do keep the cost of car washes down, a so cal necessity.
the local & state governments seem to cater to the poor masses in calif. there is NEVER enough tax money to satisfy their needs. ppl in calif are constantly asked to pay more, but receive little in return for their tax $$. the State & LA Cty are constantly faced with budget shortfalls due the overcrowded schools, social services and now coupled with plunging real estate values. it has made california a true mess.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:24 PM

62 posts, read 140,335 times
I live in Big Bear Valley in the San Bernardino mountains. The resort community has had a 10% increase in latinos since 2003. Most are illegal aliens. Although a previous poster said it keeps car wash prices down that is not true here. Around $17-$20 to get your car washed and vacuumed. Cleaning services for rental homes have a large employment of illegals. There are 'drop' houses in the valley where illegals are placed until they find another niche to occupy. Gangs are now in evidence, per sheriff's booking log, and the appearance of grafitti which we never had before. Young Mexican youths have caused a disturbance in the schools although that is not acknowledged in the local newspaper. Unlicensed drunk drivers among the hispanic community have increased to an alarming rate. Code Enforcement cannot seem to keep up with the untidy proliferation of old cars parked in illegal occupied yards. The City fathers of the City of Big Bear Lake cannot seem to accept that what affects one part of the valley affects the whole.
Many residents have remarked that it is not the same beautiful place to be any more. So that is why so many want out of here.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:03 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,611,342 times
I live in Los Angeles (sounds like a self-help support group greeting!)(And should be considered same!)

Illegals have changed the entire tenor of our lives for the worse. The 1994 Northridge earthquake changed the basic, diverse demographics in our San Fernando Valley neighborhood, with the foreclosures going to government program buyers, then, when the original buyers moved on, rented to the ever increasing populations of illegal relatives and aquaintances.

Illegals have shot at our nice dogs, totalled my cars three times in the last eight years (police reports confirm their status: all info was made up,) trashed a formerly nice middle-class/working class bedroom community, and changed all signage to foreign languages with no English alongside. Foreign nationals spit at me (a middle-aged caucasian woman) on the street when I pass by. The illegals I live by are mean-spirited, mysogynistic, have zero regard for anyone not from their home country and even less interest in American laws or American citizens, whether born or naturalized.

We are counting the days until my husband retires so that we we can move out of Los Angeles and back to America.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Foreign nationals spit at me (a middle-aged caucasian woman) on the street when I pass by. The illegals I live by are mean-spirited, mysogynistic, have zero regard for anyone not from their home country and even less interest in American laws or American citizens, whether born or naturalized.

We are counting the days until my husband retires so that we we can move out of Los Angeles and back to America.

Is it just me or am I the only one that finds this troubling.

This goes back to the propaganda of the La Raza crowd. Fat old white people that need to die.

Now I realize this does not equate to ALL hispanic. Of course not.
But it does equate to enough to indicate there is a problem with continuing to allow the illegals in and to stay.

You snow flakes better wake up before you get burned.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:55 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,611,342 times
Hey, not fat !!!!

You'll note that I try very hard to avoid the stereotyping of which some posters are accused in these forums. However, in my own case of personal observations, I have a unique "before and after" viewpoint (see above post) of what a middle class neighborhood in Los Angeles transmogrified into after illegals became a dominant demographic.

Mean-spirited, lawless, resentful neighbors are not what I would wish upon anyone. Anyone perusing the L.A. forum here will note an undercurrent of "anyone not just like us new majority should just get the f--k out of L.A." This is very, very disturbing for an American city, deja vu of the bad old days of the Ku Klux Klan. I am old (but not fat!)(at least not too!) enough to have seen the terrible segregation of the deep South in the 1950's while visiting family there, and the La Raza uber alles attitude is indeed redolent of same: they say no one matters except their own personal race. This is also an affront to "E Pluribus Unum" U.S.A. American citizens, both born and naturalized, deserve better.

Last edited by fastfilm; 03-30-2008 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,180,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post

Is it just me or am I the only one that finds this troubling.

This goes back to the propaganda of the La Raza crowd. Fat old white people that need to die.

Now I realize this does not equate to ALL hispanic. Of course not.
But it does equate to enough to indicate there is a problem with continuing to allow the illegals in and to stay.

You snow flakes better wake up before you get burned.
And; the irony is prior to the Spaniards (who, BTW, are usually White), the Aztecs/Mayans, etc. did not range into what is now our Southwest. In other words: Aztlan is a fraud, pure and simple.

The cold reality is that us so-called 'Europeans' were simply a bigger, badder group of 'Indians' who conquered the previous indigenous peoples.

To the La Raza/MEChA crowd: welcome to history------besides; cutting hearts out of living people ain't exactly nice (Aztecs) for any reason.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:48 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,345,111 times
We moved 3,000 miles away!!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:44 AM

334 posts, read 828,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddana View Post
I live in Big Bear Valley in the San Bernardino mountains. The resort community has had a 10% increase in latinos since 2003. Most are illegal aliens. Although a previous poster said it keeps car wash prices down that is not true here. Around $17-$20 to get your car washed and vacuumed. Cleaning services for rental homes have a large employment of illegals. There are 'drop' houses in the valley where illegals are placed until they find another niche to occupy. Gangs are now in evidence, per sheriff's booking log, and the appearance of grafitti which we never had before. Young Mexican youths have caused a disturbance in the schools although that is not acknowledged in the local newspaper. Unlicensed drunk drivers among the hispanic community have increased to an alarming rate. Code Enforcement cannot seem to keep up with the untidy proliferation of old cars parked in illegal occupied yards. The City fathers of the City of Big Bear Lake cannot seem to accept that what affects one part of the valley affects the whole.
Many residents have remarked that it is not the same beautiful place to be any more. So that is why so many want out of here.
Wow!!! You should move down here, we don't have any of those problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration