Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,580,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
. Tell me, all you bleeding hearts out there, would you feel the same empathy for a citizen? Say some poor hick from Appalachia or a black woman from South Alabama??

I have my doubts...
As a matter of fact, Guy, yes, I WOULD feel that same empathy. (Not that this has much to do with illegal immigration). I've ALWAYS felt sorry for those folks who just "fall through the cracks" or get overwhelmed by life.

Years ago, I remember a TV documentary about "poor dumb Citrus Pickers" ..MOST of whom were "hick" Appalachians, or blacks (no illegals in this story)...They were kept isolated in remote labor camps, and offered outrageously expensive "junk food" and 40-oz beers from the "company canteen'...in the heat and sweat of the day, many of them "chug-a-lugged" away their whole days wages on ice-cold beer....(and at the 'going rate' for a beer, this didn't take long). And how did I feel? You guessed it...I felt SORRY for these poor 'losers'.

There must be a special place in hell for those who get rich preying on the stupid, the ignorant. or the clueless of this world. I couldn't sleep at night if I made a living ripping people off...illegals or NOT...(and I've SEEN how hard it is for illegals NOT to get 'ripped off' at every turn, even the 'smart' ones...being illegal is a pretty precarious existence).

Not to defend illegal immigration--OR alcoholic fruit tramps---or "poor planning"..it's just that I HATE hearing stories like this, and find nothing funny about it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,111,638 times
The elderly are probably the most vulnerable in our society. I hate seeing people who have worked all their life only to get it all taken away by some scame artist. Some people have no morals.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,203,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
As a matter of fact, Guy, yes, I WOULD feel that same empathy. (Not that this has much to do with illegal immigration). I've ALWAYS felt sorry for those folks who just "fall through the cracks" or get overwhelmed by life.

Years ago, I remember a TV documentary about "poor dumb Citrus Pickers" ..MOST of whom were "hick" Appalachians, or blacks (no illegals in this story)...They were kept isolated in remote labor camps, and offered outrageously expensive "junk food" and 40-oz beers from the "company canteen'...in the heat and sweat of the day, many of them "chug-a-lugged" away their whole days wages on ice-cold beer....(and at the 'going rate' for a beer, this didn't take long). And how did I feel? You guessed it...I felt SORRY for these poor 'losers'.

There must be a special place in hell for those who get rich preying on the stupid, the ignorant. or the clueless of this world. I couldn't sleep at night if I made a living ripping people off...illegals or NOT...(and I've SEEN how hard it is for illegals NOT to get 'ripped off' at every turn, even the 'smart' ones...being illegal is a pretty precarious existence).

Not to defend illegal immigration--OR alcoholic fruit tramps---or "poor planning"..it's just that I HATE hearing stories like this, and find nothing funny about it....
And; like the Irish Catholic immigrants from about 100 years prior, most of the above 'hillbillies' rose from their poor beginnings------it may have taken a couple of generations but still.

As for our American Blacks; they were advancing at a faster rate then Whites before the Jim Crow laws were repealed. Admittedly; the above as a group started much further back socio-economically but still.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,203,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
The elderly are probably the most vulnerable in our society. I hate seeing people who have worked all their life only to get it all taken away by some scame artist. Some people have no morals.
Excellent point there.

A strong indicator of any society is how it treats its children and old folks.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,111,638 times
Quote:
No humor should be found in someones loss, or misfortune.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,534,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Excellent point there.

A strong indicator of any society is how it treats its children and old folks.
Absolutely, unequivalently, positively, agree.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:43 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,098,535 times
Quote:
After 9 years in this country she can't speak English. She signs a mortgage that takes 70% of her and her husband's combined income. She entered into a legal contract without understanding what it meant. She blew it on so many levels it's hard to know where to start.

I've got no sympathy for her, or any OTHER person that acts so stupidly. Tell me, all you bleeding hearts out there, would you feel the same empathy for a citizen? Say some poor hick from Appalachia or a black woman from South Alabama?
I have my doubts...
Is that a racist remark or what? How did you manage to pick a black woman from the south? Maybe we need some more bleeding hearts in this country,
and yes I would feel bad for them no matter who or where they were from.
Sassy

Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,141,511 times
You have to be pretty damn stupid to take a $3,000 dollar mortgage. ESPECIALLY if you are an immigrant. Who in their right mind.. nevermind. she lost her house, not worth it

Old 03-22-2008, 08:33 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,599,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Is that a racist remark or what? How did you manage to pick a black woman from the south? Maybe we need some more bleeding hearts in this country,
and yes I would feel bad for them no matter who or where they were from.
Sassy
How did you get to 'racist remark' from that?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:42 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,098,535 times
Quote:
How did you get to 'racist remark' from that?
I got it from this
I've got no sympathy for her, or any OTHER person that acts so stupidly. Tell me, all you bleeding hearts out there, would you feel the same empathy for a citizen? Say some poor hick from Appalachia or a black woman from South Alabama??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration