Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:59 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,601,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I got it from this
I've got no sympathy for her, or any OTHER person that acts so stupidly. Tell me, all you bleeding hearts out there, would you feel the same empathy for a citizen? Say some poor hick from Appalachia or a black woman from South Alabama??
How? White or black, a citizen of this country would get little to no sympathy from any of you (except maybe macmeal) had they made the same bad choices this immigrant woman made. The 'racists' are the ones who give this woman sympathy SOLELY because she's a 'Hispanic'.

She's also what was supposed to be a 'temporary refugee' from Hurricane Mitch. Somehow 9 years says "overstayed your welcome" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 04:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,878,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
The elderly are probably the most vulnerable in our society. I hate seeing people who have worked all their life only to get it all taken away by some scame artist. Some people have no morals.

People are fooled by con artists all the time but the reason they are fooled has to do with their own greed.

Now I'm supposed to feel sorry for an illegal who bought a big $450,000 home she couldn't afford when I would never consider buying a mansion like that myself? And why would someone choose to live in a country for 9 year and refuse to learn even a few words of it's language? 9 years and she still cannot speak English? Funny how Americans will learn more Spanish for a 1 week Cancun vacation than these people will ever learn of English even while planning to stay here forever.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Many Americans did the same thing, it does appear this lady was deceived, she should have been more careful. It just proves that immigrants are even more of a target, because they are naive to the system here.

Listen, I sold 2 houses at the peak of the real estate market in California and Florida I could be sitting back laughing at everyone as I sit here collecting interest on those investments. But I hardly find people losing their houses entertaining, especially someone who is new to this country.

I think laughing at her is more of the typical anti-immigrant attitude portrayed by Americans, it is hypocritical yet typical of Americans in general.
This woman in the article lied on the application. She chose not to read the fine print, she chose not to hire a lawyer to review the papers before she signed them. She knew there were falsehoods in her mortgage applications.

I don't feel sorry for her losing a home she couldn't possibly afford and had to lie to try to buy. She's better off without it. She chose to live outside her means -- it's that simple. I don't see her as somehow better than anyone else who makes the same mistakes.

Same for Americans who buy homes in Mexico but are ignorant of Mexico's laws and end up losing them. Like they say and it applies to everybody "Let the buyer beware". Being a hispanic doesn't make you exempt from everyday common sense rules of life.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:10 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,887,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
People are fooled by con artists all the time but the reason they are fooled has to do with their own greed.

Now I'm supposed to feel sorry for an illegal who bought a big $450,000 home she couldn't afford when I would never consider buying a mansion like that myself? And why would someone choose to live in a country for 9 year and refuse to learn even a few words of it's language? 9 years and she still cannot speak English? Funny how Americans will learn more Spanish for a 1 week Cancun vacation than these people will ever learn of English even while planning to stay here forever.
Malamute, just a side note, $450,000 does not buy much in Alexandria, VA (from personal experience). The average price for a decent sfh here is around $600k. This lady's house was in a questionable neighborhood and it was a run-down duplex.

Another point for the stupidity side, i would never pay $450,000 for anything like that no matter where in the country.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 AM

116 posts, read 437,486 times
Default Comments also on the Washington Post website

I read this article on the Washington Post Website and there are 100s of postings where people gave their feedback. 95% were shocked and had little pity for the lady from Honduras. I felt sorry for all the individual people that borrowed her money and now have lost any chance of getting her funds back. Or maybe one of the million people who read the article will bail or her or call ICE.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Malamute, just a side note, $450,000 does not buy much in Alexandria, VA (from personal experience). The average price for a decent sfh here is around $600k. This lady's house was in a questionable neighborhood and it was a run-down duplex.

Another point for the stupidity side, i would never pay $450,000 for anything like that no matter where in the country.

It's funny because you often hear that word "trailer trash" used to refer to people (usually white people) who bought a humble home they could afford to buy. This woman probably bought a $450,000 home instead of a $25,000 trailer because she thought it would make her much superior to those trailer trash types who aren't suckered in by lying mortage agents and aren't lying on their applications, or committing fraud like this woman.

Maybe instead of these sad stories of people who were easily parted with their money (the Bible says fools and their money are easily parted) we should have some stories of people who didn't commit fraud, stayed within their means, didn't have to impresses their neighbors and friends and have a house that they aren't losing. Some of those stories might be of those trailer trash people everyone likes to look down upon even though they still own their homes.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Plenty of US citizens do some of the stupid actions this lady did, but this story is very enteraining.
The problem with stories like this of whites and other American citizens losing homes after lying on application, committing fraud in obtaining a loan, dealing with crooks to get the loan, and buying a house that was way above their means is that no one would feel sorry for that American.

And how come no one ever feels sorry for those Americans still renting a small apartment because they knew they couldn't afford a $450,000 house? Or they didn't want to commit fraud to try to get such a house so are still in their rental unit --- where is the sadness for those people?

Old 03-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:

I went back to the article and took another look at that house. Geez.....now who in their right mind would commit fraud and borrow so much money for a house like that?

The other part of the article makes it pretty evident that it was "hispanic" con artists and it was this woman's own bias against other people that made her prefer to deal with con artists and crooks. Why did she not believe in getting a second opinion or legal advise?

Some of these companies know full will that certain minorities are easy game if they just send in a hispanic to "explain" the legalities for them but that doesn't excuse the buyer for not realizing that. In fact they ought to be suspicious of that very thing, and it's not that expensive to hire a translator or a lawyer that is less likely to be part of a con game. Or -- if you're going to live in a foreign country, it might be wise to learn it's language so you aren't always duped by these types.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:28 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,143,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's funny because you often hear that word "trailer trash" used to refer to people (usually white people) who bought a humble home they could afford to buy. This woman probably bought a $450,000 home instead of a $25,000 trailer because she thought it would make her much superior to those trailer trash types who aren't suckered in by lying mortage agents and aren't lying on their applications, or committing fraud like this woman.
There were all types of people suckered in into those loans.. not just people like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration