Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:14 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,868,111 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com

Plenty of US citizens do some of the stupid actions this lady did, but this story is very enteraining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 01:30 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,539,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Plenty of US citizens do some of the stupid actions this lady did, but this story is very enteraining.
You find that entertaining?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:03 PM

162 posts, read 326,681 times
I am so sorry for this poor woman, I hope somebody fix her problem. And for God's sake how can this story be entertaining? Make me sick people capable of making fun of someone in disgrace.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,268,984 times
Uhmmm Buyer beware comes to mind... That includes when shopping for a mortgage.
I feel bad for for her but in the end she shot herself in the foot. She and her husband alone own their misery.
Perhaps they have learned a lesson they should have known all along...

Old 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,214,200 times
I read through the article; it sounds to me that Ortiz was played for by a fool here so-called 'own people'.

The key would depend upon her being in the USA legally or not.

If the former; the woman would have a very strong case IMHO for being defrauded assuming she was indeed misled on the paperwork.

If she is here illegally; let DHS and the legal system deal with her.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:43 PM

20,186 posts, read 23,915,129 times
I don't get it... she thought the mortgage process would be any more different than the one in Honduras? Did she think she could be a big expensive home for little or no money in America because... she can? Even in Honduras, I don't think she could afford it.. she knew better but got greedy when everyone was buying and the media was saying so... she didn't want to be left out... she got the "mob" mentality to buy and now she realizes it was a mistake and now pretends like she didn't know... I don't think so....

Old 03-22-2008, 04:33 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,868,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
You find that entertaining?
I just find it funny that this lady knew that 70% of her income was going to her house (which was overpriced), she lied on her applications, she signed papers w/o understanding what they said, now she has taken a year off from work due to "emotional reasons." In my opinion, justice was served in this lady's case. The stupidity exhibitied by this lady is so entertaining.

If you think i'm cold, see some of the comments on the Wash Post website.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:47 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,539,773 times
Many Americans did the same thing, it does appear this lady was deceived, she should have been more careful. It just proves that immigrants are even more of a target, because they are naive to the system here.

Listen, I sold 2 houses at the peak of the real estate market in California and Florida I could be sitting back laughing at everyone as I sit here collecting interest on those investments. But I hardly find people losing their houses entertaining, especially someone who is new to this country.

I think laughing at her is more of the typical anti-immigrant attitude portrayed by Americans, it is hypocritical yet typical of Americans in general.

Last edited by Mach50; 03-22-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,099,311 times
I could only imagine how this poor woman must feel. I did not see where she was LEGAL OR ILLGEAL, that is not the first thing I think of when someone is in trouble. I feel sorry for her being naive and taken advatage of
Sassy

Old 03-22-2008, 05:52 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,600,828 times
After 9 years in this country she can't speak English. She signs a mortgage that takes 70% of her and her husband's combined income. She entered into a legal contract without understanding what it meant. She blew it on so many levels it's hard to know where to start.

I've got no sympathy for her, or any OTHER person that acts so stupidly. Tell me, all you bleeding hearts out there, would you feel the same empathy for a citizen? Say some poor hick from Appalachia or a black woman from South Alabama??

I have my doubts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration