Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Note to above.

With Mexico's crashing birthrate; even if most of our 'labor intensive' work were to be outsourced SOB right now---------in less than 20 years, that country will be facing the same labor issues as the USA is presently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Ken:

Part of why things cost more if done here is the USA is due to things like health/safety rules.

Yes; some of the above are silly IMHO but, many of the others have diminished serious on-job injuries and death.
That's very true, but simply pointing out that fact doesn't change the economic realities any. If farms here can't compete, they will close or move.

Ken

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Note to above.

With Mexico's crashing birthrate; even if most of our 'labor intensive' work were to be outsourced SOB right now---------in less than 20 years, that country will be facing the same labor issues as the USA is presently.
Indeed that's true - and that in of itself will help resolve many of the problems - both here and in Mexico. With an eventual labor shortage in Mexico, wages will rise, living standards will increase, and illegal immigrating here will dry up.

Unfortunately that's still a ways off.

Ken

PS - I'm actually very optimistic about Mexico's long-term future. Living standards are already improving rapidly. This is an event happening not just in Mexico, but throughout the Third World as those nations previously left behind are getting their populations under control and starting to catch up with the modern world and the standard of living it tends to bring (of all those billions of Third-worlders changing into western-like consumers brings it's own set of challenges - mainly shortages of energy etc - but that's a WHOLE 'nother issue).

Old 03-26-2008, 01:38 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The problem with the idea of mechanizing such farm work is that mechanization works fine for things like grain, pototoes etc - in other words farm crops that are not particulary fragile - but the crops being hand-picked are still being hand-picked for a very good reason. Crops like strawberries, cherries and apples are extremely fragile and bruise easily - thereby diminishing their value and shelf-life. They also don't all ripen at the same time so harvesting is far more complicated. When a wheat field is harvested, they just mow it all down, they don't care about preserving the plant intact for another round of harvesting next week and the week after that. With the fruits and vegetables typically picked by immigrant labor, you have to reach into each plant and carefully select and pick individual fruits while leaving other individual fruits in place for the next round. All this requires vision or some other sort of sensory input and some degree of decision-making typicaly not found in farm automation.

I'm not saying it's not technically possible nowaways, but it's horrendously expensive and involves equipment that would likely be rather fragile and prone to adverse impacts from the weather. It's far cheaper simply to hire immigrant labor - or barring that, to simply move your agri-business outside the US.

Such farm work MIGHT end up being mechanized - but I wouldn't hold my breath, and it's unlikely to be implimented in any large scale anytime soon - and the labor crises that will appear with the disappearance of migrant farm workers is here NOW (or on it's way shortly). Farmers are not going to wait 5-10 years for mechanized solutions. If they are unable to compete economically, they will either close up their farms, change over to the handful of crops that are easily mechanized (such as wheat or corn farming) or move their business to Mexico etc.

Ken

Ken, the reason I even mentioned mechanization is because I read and viewed a special documentary about this. They even showed the machines they are already testing and I was amazed. Robots where picking apples with precision and they mentioned how the cost factor was being taken into account as well as making the machines energy efficient and environmentally friendly. They are farther along on this than most people could even fathom. When it comes to food Ken, I believe it's just as important to get our food here just like pharmaceuticals are made here. It's a safety issue.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:44 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I fail to understand why you think farming will somehow magically stay here in the US when other industries have already moved to foreign countries to take advantage of cheap labor there. Other industires have had that happen, why do you expect farming to somehow be different when the basic underlying factors are the same - specifically cost of production here vs cost of production there?

Ken
Computers, toys, TV's etc... don't have time sensitive distribution issues to deal with like food. You can't compare the two. It's apples and oranges.(So to speak)

Old 03-26-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Computers, toys, TV's etc... don't have time sensitive distribution issues to deal with like food. You can't compare the two. It's apples and oranges.(So to speak)
And yet fruits and vegitables ALREADY come from Mexico and points south. It's not a whole lot further to come from northern Mexico than to come from California, Arizona, Texas etc.

Ken

Old 03-26-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Ken, the reason I even mentioned mechanization is because I read and viewed a special documentary about this. They even showed the machines they are already testing and I was amazed. Robots where picking apples with precision and they mentioned how the cost factor was being taken into account as well as making the machines energy efficient and environmentally friendly. They are farther along on this than most people could even fathom. When it comes to food Ken, I believe it's just as important to get our food here just like pharmaceuticals are made here. It's a safety issue.
Interesting.
When they start appearing in production, let me know - I just don't think it's going to happen soon enough to help preserve America's farms if immigrant labor disappears.

I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Ken

Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM

162 posts, read 326,366 times
Default LOL, where at? Pennsylvania?

[quote=UrbanQuest;3257213]We are working, what are you doing.[/quote

This is a picture of me and my friends in this forum waiting for those willing to take over those jobs available in Pennsylvania. By the way, you dont need to speak Spanish, English is just fine.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:12 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
[quote=CATOGAMO;3261103]
Quote:
We are working, what are you doing.[/quote

This is a picture of me and my friends in this forum waiting for those willing to take over those jobs available in Pennsylvania. By the way, you dont need to speak Spanish, English is just fine.
Make welfare much tougher to get in Pa. (and everywhere else) and many so-called 'menial' jobs would look a whole lot better.

Yes; I have worked doing unskilled work in the past.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:25 PM

451 posts, read 310,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
this is a racist, stereotypical comment which has noting to do with the original hread.
Racist, steretypical? where? how?now if you look a little closer you'll see a lot of that in some posts from your friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration