Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,101,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanArrogantAmerican View Post
I see your point... but shouldnt i be convicted for being here illegaly? I broke the law right...so I should probably have to pay for it, so should my parents and my siblings. Im sure, and I know there are so many people that started off as illegal and now they are citizens with out even paying the crime that should be paid for since we are horrible law breakers... coming to the US as a 6 year old is unacceptable!!
Another thing I have in mind, if you are not worried about legal/ex illegal citizens, we are probably more to be concerned with since we actually are empowered to do something about this issue... just a thought
Of course being legal in this country, you have all the rights of any U.S. citizen. Maybe one day the Mexican people will be able to change some laws that we now have and maybe immigration will change for the better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,492,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Of course being legal in this country, you have all the rights of any U.S. citizen. Maybe one day the Mexican people will be able to change some laws that we now have and maybe immigration will change for the better
Are you talking about the laws in the United States of America?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Are you talking about the laws in the United States of America?
Yes I'm

Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Yes I'm
Quote:
Maybe one day the Mexican people will be able to change some laws that we now have and maybe immigration will change for the better
How is it that 'Mexican people' are going to change US immigration law? If Mexican people wish to change laws they should change Mexican law.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:25 PM

I was talking to the poster that came illegally and is now a LEGAL citizen, when they are citizens they are allowed to vote, enough of them vote and one day the immigration laws couldn change. I was posting to an AMERICAN CITIZEN that at one time was illegal.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I was talking to the poster that came illegally and is now a LEGAL citizen, when they are citizens they are allowed to vote, enough of them vote and one day the immigration laws couldn change. I was posting to an AMERICAN CITIZEN that at one time was illegal.
You did not even bother with the usual 'Mexican-American' sobriquet. The 'Mexican people' are going to change US immigation law? If their primary allegiance is to Mexico, what are they doing in the US?

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. ... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. ... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else."- Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,492,782 times
Quote:
You did not even bother with the usual 'Mexican-American' sobriquet. The 'Mexican people' are going to change US immigation law? If their primary allegiance is to Mexico, what are they doing in the US?

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. ... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. ... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American.
Quote:
The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else."- Theodore Roosevelt
AMEN.............................

Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 PM

10 posts, read 13,385 times
Quote:
How is it that 'Mexican people' are going to change US immigration law? If Mexican people wish to change laws they should change Mexican law.
I think what she means to say is that we "Mexican Americans" are going to use our empowerment as citizens to fight for what we think is right, just like any other citizen fighting for rights. And maybe we arent too concerned about mexican law since we have made our lives in the US.. and since we the US seem to be the "big brother" of the American Continent, its probably smart to start by changing where we (the US) put our foot in. Rather than trying to change a government (Mexico) that has been corrupt ever since its birth....probably would take another century or so give or take... so hey big brother why dont you help me out since you've made your presence in everything else.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:13 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,235,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanArrogantAmerican View Post
I think what she means to say is that we "Mexican Americans" are going to use our empowerment as citizens to fight for what we think is right, just like any other citizen fighting for rights. And maybe we arent too concerned about mexican law since we have made our lives in the US.. and since we the US seem to be the "big brother" of the American Continent, its probably smart to start by changing where we (the US) put our foot in. Rather than trying to change a government (Mexico) that has been corrupt ever since its birth....probably would take another century or so give or take... so hey big brother why dont you help me out since you've made your presence in everything else.
Be careful what you wish for------there is a distinct possibility that Nuevo Leon, etc. may decide to pull a 'Texas Republic 1836' vis a vis Mexico then apply to join the USA.

The northern Mx states are becomingly more annoyed with subsidizing the poorer southern ones like Chiapas.

In defense of Mexico: there is a good chance that they may study what Italy and Spain did to build themselves up; both countries were poor not so terribly long ago and today are quite affluent

Old 04-16-2008, 10:20 PM

10 posts, read 13,385 times
Quote:

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. ... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. ... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else."- Theodore Roosevelt
wow, i did not know there was a set definition of what a good american is, or for what an american is for that matter...By far I have met some americans that dont quite live up to what your definition of a good american is.
I consider myself a Mexican-American there for I do not live up to such standards of a good american. if a than c... if a is true then c is true... so its true i am a bad american because I choose to label myself as a Mexican-American.. But why im a "hyphenated american"... Why can't i just forget about my Mexican background, culture, ansestors, music,food,etc... and just be an american!! Well son, what the heck is an american in the first place? Didnt all americans come from somewhere else? Is it Burgers, and Fries, and Britney Spears? Or is it Johnny Cash and Ford trucks? What defines a good american in the first place... Im sorry but its like saying you are a "good human" being if you go to church every sunday or something like that... I think being a good american is more complex than whether you are "hyphenated" or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration