Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 02:50 PM

5,111 posts, read 2,052,447 times

Advertisements

It might not fit this section of this forum and I apologize for this inconvenience. Doug Ford, the current Ontario Premier said some politically incorrect comments about immigration.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/doug-ford...ants-1.5627943
Quote:
TORONTO -- Ontario Premier Doug Ford is being asked to apologize for "divisive" comments made on Monday about immigrants coming to Ontario "to collect the dole."

Ford was in Tecumseh addressing the skilled labour shortage in the province when he made the comments.

“You come here like every other new Canadian. You work your tail off," Ford said. "If you think you're coming to collect the dole and sit around, it’s not going to happen. Go somewhere else.”

‘Collecting the dole’ is a term used in some countries to refer to collecting unemployment benefits.

The Premier was in Windsor-Essex to make an announcement reaffirming the province’s commitment of $9.8 million for a new mega hospital in the area.

Ontario Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca, who labelled the comments “divisive” and “disappointing,” issued a statement asking for an apology from Ford.

“This kind of divisive language is deeply disappointing,” Del Duca said on Twitter. “A Premier is supposed to unite Ontarians, not wedge us further apart. As a son of immigrants, I know first-hand how people like my parents helped to build Ontario. Doug Ford should apologize for his callous comments.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 03:53 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
It might not fit this section of this forum and I apologize for this inconvenience. Doug Ford, the current Ontario Premier said some politically incorrect comments about immigration.
He said "if". How is that being divisive? Was he speaking of illegal aliens?

Old 10-19-2021, 04:44 PM

5,111 posts, read 2,052,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
He said "if". How is that being divisive? Was he speaking of illegal aliens?
His opponents was triggered. He didn't speaked of the illegal aliens but those who come for the welfare state.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:47 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,530,131 times
I would hope that every politician, in every nation on earth, felt the same way. Welcome legal immigrants with open arms, but expect them to carry their own weight.

There is nothing wrong with what was said.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:04 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
His opponents was triggered. He didn't speaked of the illegal aliens but those who come for the welfare state.
I think the entirety of comments would be important.

Because Canada doesn't have an illegal immigration problem, and they have fairly strict requirements on legal immigration. Even their legal immigration isn't welcoming folks to earn minimum wage.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:19 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
I wonder if those migrants have to prove they are in Canada legally to gain welfare or are they fools just like our government is and give it to them either way? As for unemployment how can a migrant get it anyway as they'd have to work for awhile first.

Anyway, he doesn't owe anyone an apology for saying "if" you come to live on the dole, etc......

Old 10-19-2021, 08:27 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Someone doesn't know what "divisive" means. *Immigration* is divisive. Complaining about it is the reverse.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:54 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I would hope that every politician, in every nation on earth, felt the same way. Welcome legal immigrants with open arms, but expect them to carry their own weight.

There is nothing wrong with what was said.
I agree! What's wrong are those who think breaking the law of any land is okay.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
It was a stupid statement.

First because Canada doesn't have an illegal immigration issue that is big enough to be of a concern. So where are these people coming from?

Second because you can't just collect Employment Insurance unless you have been working for at least a year in an insurance employable job. Cutting grass and getting paid for it, wouldn't qualify. Also I believe if you quit your job you aren't eligible either.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/be...igibility.html

Going on welfare isn't fun, and you have be seeking employment.

A major point is that if you are an illegal you aren't going to get any of this. You can't get a job unless you have a Social Insurance Number. Employers caught hiring illegals are fined heavily. You can't collect ANY type of government assistance, including healthcare.

So no idea what Doug Ford is talking about. He is a bit of twit, and not that bright IMO and says things off the cuff that he later regrets. He has a history of that.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-20-2021 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-21-2021, 06:57 AM

1,939 posts, read 825,047 times
The complainers also ignored this... “You come here like every other new Canadian. You work your tail off,"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration