Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 07:48 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,450,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisal1902 View Post
A fraction would be deported. The others are here to stay.

My impression is that the majority of politicians care about cheap, exploitable labor that is underwritten by American citizens' tax money. If that imported labor wasn't so cheap and easily exploitable, that labor wouldn't be allowed in the U.S. -- except for a few, to sooth tribal and politically correct mentalities.

Your "we" is telling.
A fraction is already being deported.

Inexpensive labor is a factor, and I also suspect there simply aren't enough willing participants even at a higher price. The 'we' signifies the nation as a whole of which you are a part of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Reform immigration and protect the border

Drones with 360 camera, night vision, blur vision, motion detection from California Pacific Ocean to Texas

Motion sectors along the borders

Cameras along border from California to Texas

80-100 foot wall with double layer make of triple steel and wires on top as well below the wall with sensors

Patrols along entire border with Mexico and Canada

Second defense motion detectors few miles away from border in desert and mountain region

Immigration reform

250,000 skilled workers per year gap that specialize in construction, nurse, teachers, mechanic, civil engineers for example. The skilled workers have pathway to green card within 24 months base on good standing and background check

200,000 normal workers per year to work in U.S farms, warehouses, factories for example 12 month work permit can extend for another year base on good standing and background check

Regular marriage and family sponsor

50,000 software and tech founders around global to start their tech business in U.S base on background check and extensive checks 24 month pathway to green card. They have to create dozen to hundred jobs part of requirement and pay taxes.
I think if we were to do all of this, including the 100-foot wall it would cut back on illegal immigration and it would come at a great cost. We would find that we needed the younger workers and would wind up increasing the numbers of legal immigrants to similar numbers that we are now accepting illegally.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
That cheap labor is also exploitable.

People become willing participants to work when they become hungry. The U.S. is already overpopulated.

Your "we" doesn't include me and Americans who haven't "taken in" illegal migrants. Don't conflate us with your own inclinations.
Yes it includes you and anyone else who benefits from the labor the illegals have produced directly or indirectly.

The US isn't overpopulated (Yet). The population is growing at the slowest rate ever and would actually be in decline if not for the millions of illegals. Once the border is eventually figured out, we will likely see population decline unless we increase our numbers of legal immigrants. It seems our economy depends on young workers which the American populace didn't create enough of.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Nope. I don't wish to take in more illegals. Don't conflate me or other Americans with you.

This entire planet is overpopulated.

People will work when they get hungry enough.
Many people say they don't want any more illegals in the US, but that doesn't mean they are currently benefitting from them in one form or another. So yes, the 'we' includes you even if you would prefer it doesn't. There are and have been 10's of millions of illegals and they have had an impact on everday life of everyone in the states.

The planet's population may be too high or will be, but that is a separate issue.

I'm sure many people will work if they are hungry enough. Americans over the past couple generations didn't produce those people though. Birth rate has been very low among US born citizens, illegals have filled that void.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
How far do you want to take this? As an American, you've benefited from the eradication of Native Americans. You've benefited from hundreds of years of enslaved black people. You've benefited from hundreds of years of unpaid female labor. You've benefited from terribly exploited Hispanic and Asian labor. Some people benefit from trafficked sex slaves.

You may not care, but I abhor all of the above and don't wish to benefit from it in the present and future. The terrible past cannot be undone.
?
Yes that is true Americans have benefitted from all of this. So no need to deny WE are currently benefitting from the illegals coming here willingly now. On one hand people are arguing how terrible they are and how they are leeching off society, but the reality is those very same people are quietly reaping benefits from them.

Quote:
Overpopulation isn't a separate issue if this country is filling up too rapidly with people who are straining its resources and infrastructure.
You put a IF in your statement, the 'if' can be answered, the country isn't filling up too rapidly. Population growth has slowed and if not for illegal immigration it would have been in decline. We are 185th in population density worldwide so that isn't an issue at this point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

Quote:

If jobs need to be filled by people from outside the U.S., it should be done legally. I pity those people who wish to immigrate legally to the U.S., only to be unfairly outdone by illegals and bogus asylum seekers and refugees.
You used the word 'should'. That is a lofty word to use in this context. There are a lot of "Shoulds" but we are talking reality here. Our government hasn't created the proper paths for the numbers of immigrants the nation needed. Have you written to your representative telling him you want vastly increased legal immigration quotas in exchange for a better job sealing the border?

Old 01-08-2024, 10:00 AM

6,508 posts, read 3,191,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
There are a lot of question marks at the beginning of your post. From plumbers to pipefitters, and bus drivers to freeway maintenance workers, there are a lot of jobs that are being filled.

Insofar as pollution laws. I know I don't want my family to live with bad air. The air was very bad when I was a kid, and my lungs would hurt after physical exertion.
I seem to recall that the "jobs" you make reference to, are skilled jobs that require training, certification, and valid licenses, to insure the work is done safely and up to code. Are you suggesting that the US simply overlooks those requirements, and allows illegal invaders to take over skilled jobs??

(and yes, there are a couple more question marks there!)

Quote:
That cheap labor is also exploitable.

People become willing participants to work when they become hungry. The U.S. is already overpopulated.

Your "we" doesn't include me and Americans who haven't "taken in" illegal migrants. Don't conflate us with your own inclinations.
People also become willing thieves, when they get REALLY hungry. Are you supporting THAT? And no, I'm not for greeting all these invaders into America.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:21 AM

6,508 posts, read 3,191,228 times
Quote:
....If you've read any of my posts, you'd see that I'm strongly against illegal migration and bogus asylum seekers and refugees. Even with genuine asylum seekers and refugees, there must be a limit. The U.S. can't take care of the entire world.
That's good to know.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I seem to recall that the "jobs" you make reference to, are skilled jobs that require training, certification, and valid licenses, to insure the work is done safely and up to code. Are you suggesting that the US simply overlooks those requirements, and allows illegal invaders to take over skilled jobs??

(and yes, there are a couple more question marks there!)
I think the illegals will take some of those jobs and they can get certified when required. In addition, over the past 20-30 years their legal children have even more job opportunities in these sectors.

Quote:
From your previous posts, I understand why you support illegal migration. It's based on your personal situation. So you'll continue to find many reasons, however illogical, to support illegal migration. I get it. Have you presented your pro-illegal beliefs on the Legal Immigration forum?
You are referring to some 'personal situation', of mine but I have no idea what you are referring to.
Once there is a legal immigration system in place that meets the needs of America there won't be as big a need for the illegals and the border & policies can & should be tightened up. I am content to post right where I am, why haven't you written your representative?

Old 01-08-2024, 01:17 PM

63,062 posts, read 29,256,181 times
No one benefits indirectly from illegal immigration either as we are having to contribute via our taxes for the billions a year that these illegals cost us. We have plenty of young and able bodied Americans to fill any necessary job that pay a fair wage. For low waged unnecessary jobs that haven't flooded our economy (and many of them have) they should be entry level jobs for our young Americans and jobs to subsidize our lower income adult Americans.

We don't need illegal aliens reproducing on our soil either as poverty begets poverty and they don't share our culture and language either. They will be teaching their kids that it's ok to break the law just as long as you get what you want. Give Americans incentives to have more kids and there are numerous ways to do that and in reality it wouldn't hurt to have a smaller population anyway. The almighty dollar isn't everything. No way should we be importing foreigners just for baby making. That's ludicrous!

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2024 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-08-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No one benefits indirectly from illegal immigration either as we are having to contribute via our taxes for the billions a year that these illegals cost us. We have plenty of young and able bodied Americans to fill any necessary job that pay a fair wage.
This is not correct. we do not have 'plenty of young and able bodied' American to fill any necessary job. If we did, we wouldn't be importing (Illegally) millions upon millions of illegals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

We don't need illegal aliens reproducing on our soil either as poverty begets poverty and they don't share our culture and language either.
The recent influx has been going on for over 2 decades already. They have reproduced and the reproduced have reproduced.... Second generation immigrants are often doing better than the first generation. Second generation almost always speaks English, and most often are bilingual. There has been a place for them and it appears that will continue to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration