Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
some people in the community have called the message "racist" and "unconstitutional?" I think some idiots in the community need to read the constitution and look up the word racist in the dictionary. good god.
What's racist or unconstitutional about demanding English in America? And, for goodness sakes - it's the VFW!!

What happened to patriotism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
What's racist or unconstitutional about demanding English in America? And, for goodness sakes - it's the VFW!!

What happened to patriotism?
Patriotism from which country, America or Mexico? We all know where the patriotism has gone.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Obviously this 'cute' message is a thinly-veiled 'slap in the face' of those who don't believe in America. Those who don't speak English won't understand what the message says, anyway...therefore no insult will be taken. It's those who "don't believe in America" who are being insulted here. Shame on those xenophobic veterans! This is AMERICA...and I'll hate it if I WANT to! That's my right as an American.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM

468 posts, read 1,887,239 times
As soon as a telephone marketer asks for the owner or office manager, I do one of several things;

1. I speak back to them in fluent pig-latin.
2. Act like a senile old man who's hard of hearing and has a wife named Mildred.
3. Act like a simpleton and ask things like, "do you have a dog?, "what's you dogs name?", "If you don't have a dog, do you have a cat?", "I like cats", etc & etc... and the conversation goes on and on regardless of the marketer's request.

I've keep one going for ten minutes once. It's a game to me and the challange is how long can I keep them on the phone.

4. Where I use to work we had a gentleman from Korea come and work for us who spoke very little English. When I would get a marketer on the phone I would switch the call over to Mr. Kim.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We need more of that. I'm tired of the Spanish telemarketers but the only good thing, I have no problem slamming the phone when I hear them and of course will boycott any product or service that was rude enough to call me in Spanish.
You too? I recently canceled my decades old account with JC Penneys, Sears and Discover Cards for that very reason and not before I gave them an earful and let them know I've had more than enough.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,467 times
Do you guys have hispanic surnames? That's odd if you get them if you last name doesn't sound "Hispanicy".

Old 08-15-2008, 11:02 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Cute! Of course, the ACLU and La Raza will jump on this with a vengeance. After all, doesn't this discriminate against our "immigrant" population?
Sometimes discrimination is a good thing, Benicar.

Does anything believe enabling even a legal immigrant by not encouraging him to speak English is beneficial?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:24 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
I wonder if any Hispanic veterans of foreign wars would talk offense to this? I wonder if you guys care

I had the privilege of meeting a World War II veteran the other week(its a privilege, because unfortunately they are dying off at a very fast rate.).
He was proud of his service, wearing one of those caps that says
"World War II Veteran" and has all their insignia.

He was with his wife and they were conversing in Spanish. They were a really old couple, I'm sure they were one of those who got married before or immediately after the war.

I struck up a conversation with them. Asked the man a little about his service. He spoke in English with me of course, his wife didnt though. She was more comfortable speaking with Spanish. Turns out he served in the Pacific theatre in World War II, and then went on to serve again in Korea.

He had no problem speaking in Spanish with his wife in public.

I wonder how he would feel if his VFW Chapter put up that message.
Sure, he spoke English, but I'm sure he wouldve felt a little offended hearing how Un-American it is to speak Spanish. Especially after fighting two wars for this country.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:26 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sometimes discrimination is a good thing, Benicar.

Does anything believe enabling even a legal immigrant by not encouraging him to speak English is beneficial?
Quote of the year award goes to Bummer!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
The desperation of the Dreamie crowd is downright PALPABLE!! Gotta love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration