Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Quite humorous. But how would the caller understand this outgoing phone message if they did not speak English?

Also, what does it mean to not "believe in America"? Is that like not believing in Santa Claus? Maybe they meant to say, "if you do not support America"? I would guess that the person who recorded this outgoing phone message is narrow minded, and not particularly bright.
If an American told you that he was planning to emigrate permanently to another country - maybe France, or Brazil, but had no intention of ever learning the language of those countries or much else about them, would you say they "believe" in those countries?

What is the point in coming here but choosing to learn nothing, especially when it comes to the language? Who would expect everyone in France or Brazil to learn English to accomodate that American moving there but refusing to adapt himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 08:40 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,911,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
An American will often learn more of a foreign language for a 2 week vacation or business trip than many immigrants especially illegals will learn after living and raking in the money and handouts for 30 or 40 years.
That's blatantly false...

Old 10-25-2009, 08:41 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,329,827 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I respect your decision to avoid learning anything. It is your right in this free country.
My, my what a stretch of the truth! Where did I say that I would avoid learning "anything"? Is anything else in regards to getting an education not learning "anything"? Does it have to be learning another language or can it be something that furthers one's career? The latter makes more sense than the former.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
That's blatantly false...
No it isn't. And it's the reason for all these Spanish telemarketers and the need to press two for English and all the other Spanish being rammed down our throats.

We are being told to learn Spanish because the immigrants have no intention of learning English - ever.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 AM

776 posts, read 1,276,929 times
Quote:
If an American told you that he was planning to emigrate permanently to another country - maybe France, or Brazil, but had no intention of ever learning the language of those countries or much else about them, would you say they "believe" in those countries?

What is the point in coming here but choosing to learn nothing, especially when it comes to the language? Who would expect everyone in France or Brazil to learn English to accomodate that American moving there but refusing to adapt himself?
Oh come on now. Not only have many illegals learned English, they have even created a new language for us. Spanglish!

Old 10-25-2009, 11:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
I take it that you are not bilingual. That's okay. It's not too late to learn!
If discussing Spanish: why should the Mestizo Hispanics even care?

Both English and Spanish are White man's languages and the former tongue is much more useful. Spanish is of little importance outside of Spain or Latin America whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:52 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If discussing Spanish: why should the Mestizo Hispanics even care?

Both English and Spanish are White man's languages and the former tongue is much more useful. Spanish is of little importance outside of Spain or Latin America whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.
All very true indeed. Probably the most useful language to learn would be a dialect of Chinese, say, Mandarin.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
All very true indeed. Probably the most useful language to learn would be a dialect of Chinese, say, Mandarin.
Even that I wonder about being that few people outside of China speak any variety of Chinese. Although I do see where you are coming from re: a business point of view.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:40 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,911,511 times
Quote:
No it isn't. And it's the reason for all these Spanish telemarketers and the need to press two for English and all the other Spanish being rammed down our throats.

We are being told to learn Spanish because the immigrants have no intention of learning English - ever.
Yes it is. Sorry but an American does not learn more in two weeks than an illegal immigrant in several years. This is why you have Air France employees complaining about their LA-Paris flights...cursing in French then realizing that I actually speak the language. That is simply a dumb position to take.

Illegal immigrants do learn the language...for the most part. Not 100% are fluent, true. However, why not push for more affordable ESL courses?

Old 10-25-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Yes it is. Sorry but an American does not learn more in two weeks than an illegal immigrant in several years. This is why you have Air France employees complaining about their LA-Paris flights...cursing in French then realizing that I actually speak the language. That is simply a dumb position to take.

Illegal immigrants do learn the language...for the most part. Not 100% are fluent, true. However, why not push for more affordable ESL courses?
How about really cracking the whip against illegal aliens and their enablers instead along with rescinding birthright citizenship unless at least one parent is a legal resident of the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration