Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Money is green in no matter what language is spoken.
that is the root of the entire illegal problem, money. the illegals were allowed to flood our country due to our developing economic crisis, and thus to start a concurrent necessary housing boom and spending spree. the housing boom is over now. instead of fixing the problems in america, our politicians tried to cover them up and we are worse off than before.
here is an interesting article on how this started:
Housing Push for Hispanics Spawns Wave of Foreclosures - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,498 times
I agree 100%! I am not racist nor prejudice but we have really let another culture take us over. I only blame us for allowing it....I have lived in many countries across the globe and the first thing I did when travelling to a foreign land would be to buy a book of the local language.....It kept me busy during the 14 some odd hour flight! I may not have been fluent, but I sure as heck attempted to speak their language!!! Last night I went out to a burger joint (not rolbertos, or filibertos, a burger joint!) and the mexican guy behind the counter got mad at me because I asked him to repeat himself. I could not understand him! Thats not my fault. Dont put someone in customer service who cant speak the local language!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:20 PM

411 posts, read 468,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Every time a telemarketer calls in English, I answer in Spanish. Although sometimes, they speak Spanish or transfer me to someone who does, in which I hang up.

Every time a telemarketer calls in Spanish, I speak English and then I'm transferred to someone who does, in which I hang up.
Ha,ha,ha, I do the same thing, also when people try to sell something
to me on the streets, I tell them, "no hablas ingles" which means "you don't speak english", I always get a good kick out of it....

Old 10-24-2009, 07:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Ha,ha,ha, I do the same thing, also when people try to sell something
to me on the streets, I tell them, "no hablas ingles" which means "you don't speak english", I always get a good kick out of it....
When I get a telemarketing call I always say "sorry I dont speak english" If they keep talking I say "I told you I dont speak english" They become confused and I hang up lol

Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaussie1980 View Post
I agree 100%! I am not racist nor prejudice but we have really let another culture take us over. I only blame us for allowing it....I have lived in many countries across the globe and the first thing I did when travelling to a foreign land would be to buy a book of the local language.....It kept me busy during the 14 some odd hour flight! I may not have been fluent, but I sure as heck attempted to speak their language!!! Last night I went out to a burger joint (not rolbertos, or filibertos, a burger joint!) and the mexican guy behind the counter got mad at me because I asked him to repeat himself. I could not understand him! Thats not my fault. Dont put someone in customer service who cant speak the local language!!!
An American will often learn more of a foreign language for a 2 week vacation or business trip than many immigrants especially illegals will learn after living and raking in the money and handouts for 30 or 40 years.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:11 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,930 times
Quote:
"Hi, you've reached the Montrose VFW, Post 5642. We are an English-speaking, American establishment. If you do not speak English or believe in America, please hang up."
Quite humorous. But how would the caller understand this outgoing phone message if they did not speak English?

Also, what does it mean to not "believe in America"? Is that like not believing in Santa Claus? Maybe they meant to say, "if you do not support America"? I would guess that the person who recorded this outgoing phone message is narrow minded, and not particularly bright.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:22 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Quite humorous. But how would the caller understand this outgoing phone message if they did not speak English?

Also, what does it mean to not "believe in America"? Is that like not believing in Santa Claus? Maybe they meant to say, "if you do not support America"? I would guess that the person who recorded this outgoing phone message is narrow minded, and not particularly bright.
Narrow minded? So is that what it is when the expectation is for anyone residing in our country to learn and speak English? I don't think so!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Narrow minded? So is that what it is when the expectation is for anyone residing in our country to learn and speak English? I don't think so!
I take it that you are not bilingual. That's okay. It's not too late to learn!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I take it that you are not bilingual. That's okay. It's not too late to learn!
I have no need to be bi-lingual. I don't plan on leaving this country and I already speak the language of this country. If you don't use a language you lose it. Besides if I were to elect to learn another language it sure as hell wouldn't be the language of illegal invaders.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I have no need to be bi-lingual. I don't plan on leaving this country and I already speak the language of this country. If you don't use a language you lose it. Besides if I were to elect to learn another language it sure as hell wouldn't be the language of illegal invaders.
Fair enough. I respect your decision to avoid learning anything. It is your right in this free country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration