Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,153,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
When you traveled to Europe, every body speaks TWO languages. Their own national tongue, and either French, German or English. And THAT is not NOT consider ANTI-European....it is muticulturism and integration into a prosperous Europe that now rivals the USA.
Actually; today's Europe is not that 'multicultural' in practice outside of different languages and somewhat different customs country by country.

Read that a secular Frenchman has more in common with a secular German than with many Muslim Turks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:17 AM

291 posts, read 414,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I wonder if any Hispanic veterans of foreign wars would talk offense to this? I wonder if you guys care

I had the privilege of meeting a World War II veteran the other week(its a privilege, because unfortunately they are dying off at a very fast rate.).
He was proud of his service, wearing one of those caps that says
"World War II Veteran" and has all their insignia.

He was with his wife and they were conversing in Spanish. They were a really old couple, I'm sure they were one of those who got married before or immediately after the war.

I struck up a conversation with them. Asked the man a little about his service. He spoke in English with me of course, his wife didnt though. She was more comfortable speaking with Spanish. Turns out he served in the Pacific theatre in World War II, and then went on to serve again in Korea.

He had no problem speaking in Spanish with his wife in public.

I wonder how he would feel if his VFW Chapter put up that message.
Sure, he spoke English, but I'm sure he wouldve felt a little offended hearing how Un-American it is to speak Spanish. Especially after fighting two wars for this country.
I would guess he has the gratest respect for the country he served that we have for him and english speaking is part of his pride in becoming an american with such great sevice to the usa.this is his country. if his wife still mainly spoke spanish it is a pitty she was never encourged to assimilate into society for she could of had many more friends and not of been limited to spanish only folks.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
When I call for tech support, or the phone company, or any support line, and get a foreign speaking person on the other end, I'll keep dialing until I get someone from here. If I don't, I will demand they put me through to someone who speaks English. If they say that's impossible, I hang up and find a way to contact corporate to tell them they lost my business.

Someone mentioned free speech. Yes, that recording exercises free speech. Love it !!!
Those people need jobs too. Anyways, just recently Delta airlines brought back to the USA their call centers. I am lucky enough that my AA and Delta accounts are Platinum so that I always get someone in the USA. Flying first class does make a difference on who you get on the phone.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Those people need jobs too. Anyways, just recently Delta airlines brought back to the USA their call centers. I am lucky enough that my AA and Delta accounts are Platinum so that I always get someone in the USA. Flying first class does make a difference on who you get on the phone.

I agree with you, if you pay a premium from a special service you should get to talk to the person who you want. In a company where I used to work, the lower tiers of support were sent to india and the higher, (read : more expensive, remained in the U.S)

It's ridiculous for a person, who benefits from the low cost of a product acchieved through sending the customer service/support overseas, to ask for something they did not pay for. In your case CLTKing, I think you are completely on your right to speak with whoever you want if you are flying first class, after all it's the service you are paying for.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:00 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,069,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I wonder if any Hispanic veterans of foreign wars would talk offense to this? I wonder if you guys care

I had the privilege of meeting a World War II veteran the other week(its a privilege, because unfortunately they are dying off at a very fast rate.).
He was proud of his service, wearing one of those caps that says
"World War II Veteran" and has all their insignia.

He was with his wife and they were conversing in Spanish. They were a really old couple, I'm sure they were one of those who got married before or immediately after the war.

I struck up a conversation with them. Asked the man a little about his service. He spoke in English with me of course, his wife didnt though. She was more comfortable speaking with Spanish. Turns out he served in the Pacific theatre in World War II, and then went on to serve again in Korea.

He had no problem speaking in Spanish with his wife in public.

I wonder how he would feel if his VFW Chapter put up that message.
Sure, he spoke English, but I'm sure he wouldve felt a little offended hearing how Un-American it is to speak Spanish. Especially after fighting two wars for this country.
That's a reeeeeaall touching story, however, there were no illegal aliens in our services in WWII, so the guy (If indeed this is a true story.), must be a legitimate citizen.

So what's your point?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I agree with you, if you pay a premium from a special service you should get to talk to the person who you want. In a company where I used to work, the lower tiers of support were sent to india and the higher, (read : more expensive, remained in the U.S)

It's ridiculous for a person, who benefits from the low cost of a product acchieved through sending the customer service/support overseas, to ask for something they did not pay for. In your case CLTKing, I think you are completely on your right to speak with whoever you want if you are flying first class, after all it's the service you are paying for.
Ouch. How about when one pays premium and gets overseas service or foreign service? I pay top dollar for services in 3 different companies, and still get foreign speaking service.

Your theory doesn't hold water. Sorry

Old 05-27-2009, 01:07 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,908,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Cute! Of course, the ACLU and La Raza will jump on this with a vengeance. After all, doesn't this discriminate against our "immigrant" population?
No

Most "true" immigrants are not only interested in America, they are also interested in speaking the language.

If people are too ignorant to learn the language, then that;s the kind of response they should get.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Ouch. How about when one pays premium and gets overseas service or foreign service? I pay top dollar for services in 3 different companies, and still get foreign speaking service.

Your theory doesn't hold water. Sorry

Then switch to a company that does, or sue them for breach of contract, if you are paying a premium to speak with someone in the U.S. then you should get it. The same as if you go to a paint store and you ask for a red paint and you get pink, you are not going to just take it and say oh well pink is not such a bad color, you return the paint and ask them for what you ordered.

Noiw if you are paying a premium for other reason, example you get a 3 year warranty instead of a 1 year, but still taking the advantage of the overseas call center, well, you are getting what you paid for.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Then switch to a company that does, or sue them for breach of contract, if you are paying a premium to speak with someone in the U.S. then you should get it. The same as if you go to a paint store and you ask for a red paint and you get pink, you are not going to just take it and say oh well pink is not such a bad color, you return the paint and ask them for what you ordered.

Noiw if you are paying a premium for other reason, example you get a 3 year warranty instead of a 1 year, but still taking the advantage of the overseas call center, well, you are getting what you paid for.
I NEVER just take it and say oh well for ANYTHING

Exactly what does this have to do with illegals? NOT ONE THING

We all know illegals should not be taking jobs here when our economy is in such straights. Maybe Mexico should stop whining and take their people back.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 PM

142 posts, read 222,118 times
Quote:
We all know illegals should not be taking jobs here when our economy is in such straights. Maybe Mexico should stop whining and take their people back
Because all Illegals are Mexican? If you think Illegals should go home, then they should from every country, no? There are around 70 thousand illegal canadians in the U.S. alone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration