Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:10 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Asians our very proud about their culture. Thats why in LA and New York you always see those Chinese New Year parades.
You ever been to towns in LA's San Gabriel Valley, like say Alhambra? You'll hear nothing but Mandarin and Cantonese being spoken.
Or Koreatown where almost all the signs are in Korean.

Thing is, Asians arent as widespread as Latinos, and the immigrants usually stay in their enclaves until the next generation moves out. So they don't get criticized as much for practicing their culture or speaking their languages.
I always get a kick out of it when people say stuff like, "Well, Asians don't have any trouble speaking English."
Go to an Asian enclave, and you won't hear or read much English.

On the other hand, if someone is trying to keep Latinos from learning English, its not working. Immigrant Latinos, just like immigrant Asians, dont usually speak English, but the generations raised in America do.

I dont personally know anybody Latino born and raised in American, who don't speak English. Even when their parents don't speak a word of English.

I think that criticism is reserved for the Hispanics.
The asians I know speak english to varying degrees..even the ones that are here only a few years as their husbands go through graduate school. The only asian I know who doesn't speak english is an elderly korean lady -- and I do give a pass to all elderly immigrants regardless of nationality.

Now, you are right.....there are koreatowns, chinatowns, little italys (although they have died away) and my mom was raised in a part of town where the czechs settled. I understand that. I also understand that some will never learn english because they just don't have the facilties to learn a new language (I barely passed spanish by the skin of my teeth).
So, I've been thinking about what you wrote and I admit that I see a lot of truth in it. But here is the thing, amc that maybe you either see my point or point me in the right direction. What is irritating about spanish is the sheer numbers of people who speak it exclusively in the US, and the sheer numbers of those who proudly protest in spanish (si,es ?), give interviews aided by an interpreter etc.... It makes me think that there is either a trend here or again...just the overwhelming power of sheer numbers. Either way, its damning on hispanics and put you guys out there as the face of illegal immigration and anti assimiliation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
amc, when are you going to figure out that it's the sheer numbers of illegals from Mexico that drives the criticism. If the numbers were reversed, and illegal Koreans were taking over entire neighborhoods in EVERY state of the Union, the criticism WOULD be aimed at them instead of at Mexicans.

230,000 compared to 15+ million is 1/60th of the problem, or as a statistician would say, "Statistically insignificant."
great post, and I see that you and I posted at the same time. Didn't mean to reiterrate your point!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:14 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
great post, and I see that you and I posted at the same time. Didn't mean to reiterrate your point!
It's all good...

I think maybe the point NEEDED reiteration.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
The asians I know speak english to varying degrees..even the ones that are here only a few years as their husbands go through graduate school. The only asian I know who doesn't speak english is an elderly korean lady -- and I do give a pass to all elderly immigrants regardless of nationality.

Now, you are right.....there are koreatowns, chinatowns, little italys (although they have died away) and my mom was raised in a part of town where the czechs settled. I understand that. I also understand that some will never learn english because they just don't have the facilties to learn a new language (I barely passed spanish by the skin of my teeth).
So, I've been thinking about what you wrote and I admit that I see a lot of truth in it. But here is the thing, amc that maybe you either see my point or point me in the right direction. What is irritating about spanish is the sheer numbers of people who speak it exclusively in the US, and the sheer numbers of those who proudly protest in spanish (si,es ?), give interviews aided by an interpreter etc.... It makes me think that there is either a trend here or again...just the overwhelming power of sheer numbers. Either way, its damning on hispanics and put you guys out there as the face of illegal immigration and anti assimiliation.
My point is, Hispanics don't reject English any more than any other immigratns.
People like to say Hispanics refuse English compared to so and so, but from what Ive see, it just isnt so.

The difference is that Hispanic immigrants are all over. Asians stick among themselves in enclaves.
There are PLENTY of Asian immigrants not speaking English.
I used to share an apartment with a couple of Asian guys. One of them, a Laotian guy, had his parents who lived in the neighborhood come by for lunch. They did not speak a WORD of English. We just nodded at each other to say hi, real quick.
You go to Chinatown in San Francisco, and a lot of people won't speak English.

At the same time, there are lots of foreign born Latinos who speak English.
According to stereotypes, thats not true, but in reality it is. If people see a Latino speaking Spanish, they assume that person doesn't speak or try to speak English.
If a person sees a Latino talking fluent English, they assume that person isn't foreign born.

My grandmother doesn't speak English, but her younger sisters do. They all immigrated here, but my grandmother worked hard all her life to support them, and then her kids, so she didnt have the benefit of learning English.

As far as I see, its just a couple of generalizations.
Asians happen to have some good stereotypes, Latinos happen to have bad stereotypes.

There are A LOT of Hispanic immigrants, so youre going to hear a lot of Spanish. If there were as many Asian immigrants, who didnt stick to their enclaves, you'd be hearing a lot of Asian languages too.
So I agree with you that people are annoyed over it, because its so much more widespread.

But it isnt at all a sign that Latinos are determined to not "adjust to American society."
Latinos do it all the time. Thats why me and all my friends speak English and are as American as anybody else.
Even Guypinestra here is Hispanic. You would never know, but he is Hispanic, and somehow is here speaking English and talking about Hispanics refusal to "adjust". Youre not alone buddy!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:54 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
230,000 Koreans here for a better life. Let me start......

1. They came here and broke the law
2. They would say (like our Mexican friends) they came for a better life.
3. South Korea is a FIRST WORLD NATION with an absurdly low birth rate.
4. In Korea they have travel agencies catering the "Birth Tourism business" so their children can be anchor babies. (costs big bucks)
5. Koreans are finding emptynester (white only) couples who would be willing to adopt their children so they could come here. (talk about desperate to escape their first world cesspool.

If there is any group of illegal aliens who should be first priority to get the boot it should be these Koreans, hands down. Mexicans jump the fence, these Koreans devise deceiptful and organized con games to get here. Whose worse. All illegal immigrants must go and their anchor babies should have their citizenship revoked, I am a compassionate person but this disgusting game must end and now. America is full!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:05 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post

4. In Korea they have travel agencies catering the "Birth Tourism business" so their children can be anchor babies. (costs big bucks)
5. Koreans are finding emptynester (white only) couples who would be willing to adopt their children so they could come here. (talk about desperate to escape their first world cesspool.

If there is any group of illegal aliens who should be first priority to get the boot it should be these Koreans, hands down. Mexicans jump the fence, these Koreans devise deceiptful and organized con games to get here. Whose worse. All illegal immigrants must go and their anchor babies should have their citizenship revoked, I am a compassionate person but this disgusting game must end and now. America is full!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They should all be deported no matter where they come from. You do not see Koreans out in the streets demanding that we change our language to theirs or to teach their language in ALL of our schools. I could go on but I am sure that you can see my point.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:

With the exception of grandfathering in those Anchors already born as US citizens (but no new ones receiving birthright citizenship)---------I agree with your post line for line.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:

Interesting points. I'm not sure I'd agree that South Korea is really a "First World Nation", though. Certainly it's a 'rising star', but Koreans have NEVER been 'put to the test' common to most really 'first-class' First World nations, which is learning to 'get along' with, trust in, and share power with 'STRANGERS'. (i.e., multi-ethnic fellow citizens). As a matter of fact, Korean society is among the "purest" on earth, is extremely homogenous, and has little tolerance for, or understanding of, including 'others' into its workings. It has almost NO history of immigrants, in any significant numbers, for the past thousand years. So in THAT regard, it's pretty uniquely 'tribal', among developed nations. Certainly it's getting more and more affluent, if that's what you're alluding to.

As far as which group of illegals "gets the boot", I see few reasons why ALL shouldn't. However, if you must make distinctions, then it's possible Koreans aren't drawing the attention that Mexicans do because they're more successful at living 'below the radar'..but MOSTLY, I'd say it's numbers. If 20 million Koreans were living here illegally, I can assure you they'd get noticed, as would ANY group of 20 million. If these Koreans then went on to loudly agitate for "rights", and to influence Congress, they'd get even MORE attention.

Any petty crime is going to be noticed more or less, depending on scale and numbers. Three homeless families living in a large public park would probably just be gently asked to 'move on'. Three THOUSAND homeless people, living in a large public park, would for SURE be noticed...would upset the public, and would no doubt cause demands that we "do something about it"....and we probably WOULD. Same 'crime', different scale....

Last edited by macmeal; 09-22-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I've been reading/hearing 12 million for the last 10 years. Even Obama and McCain have no clue how many they are planning to grant amnesty.
Does anyone get the feeling that this whole economic crisis was well orchestrated by those who really wish for a "one world rule" and this is one way to merge the US, Canada and Mexico? Nah. I have too much time on my hands. LOL

Old 10-18-2008, 02:01 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
That got me PO. I served in the United States Coast Guard to protect my country and yes there was a lot we couldn't do but we did our part. Only to go home to the landlocked Rockies after several years living along the coast as a military brat and ex-military and see that my city and state has become a sanctuary city/state. While on a typical day, the smallest branch of the military, turns around 17 or so illegal immigrants on the shore of the U.S. my mayor and governor were letting in more illegals than that in on a daily basis, it was as if all our efforts and your tax dollars were being flushed down the drain. Yes most of those illegals are here to work, and a small percentage give a bad name to the larger hard working peasantry of the third world, but in order to serve justice and protect our citizens and as well as human dignity around the world, there is a need for legality, thus the distinction between legal and illegal. America is a land of immigrants, we do not deny the inalienable rights of anyone but when we cannot protect that of our citizens interest and that of the livelihood of humanity domestic or abroad we become the ones at loss in our own land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration