Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:52 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,946,991 times

Advertisements

neither candidate has been very good on illegal immigration and in fact were both co-sponsors of the DREAM act, for scholarships for children of illegal immigrants. i did not see where mccain said amnesty on that clip but that they would have a pathway to citizenship after they do certain things, although he did not specify what things. obama is the only candidate supporting drivers licenses for illegal immigrants, however.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,111,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Hey man, what's your problem?
Is there a reason for your harassment?

Youre pretty much trolling at this point.
I might not side with amc760 opinion on all things, but he does not deserve harassment or disrespect; He is always civil on all debates.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,598,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
neither candidate has been very good on illegal immigration and in fact were both co-sponsors of the DREAM act, for scholarships for children of illegal immigrants. i did not see where mccain said amnesty on that clip but that they would have a pathway to citizenship after they do certain things, although he did not specify what things. obama is the only candidate supporting drivers licenses for illegal immigrants, however.
They are both supporters of Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR) -- aka Amnesty. The pathway to citizenship does not require that they "go to the end of the line." Rather, they would be permitted to remain in this country -- at the "head of the line" in front of those who choose to abide by our laws. Amnesty by any euphemism, is still amnesty.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:00 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,662,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
Pathway to citizenship is amnesty. Pay a fine, go to the back of the line ---just what does that mean, anyway? It means to the illegal, keep living exactly as you always have here in the US while you wait your turn in 'the back of the line'....meanwhile people who have followed the law to the letter will just have to sit it out in their home countries as they wait their turn at the front of the line. Seems a little unfair, doesn't it?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,662,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They are both supporters of Comprehensive Immigration Reform (CIR) -- aka Amnesty. The pathway to citizenship does not require that they "go to the end of the line." Rather, they would be permitted to remain in this country -- at the "head of the line" in front of those who choose to abide by our laws. Amnesty by any euphemism, is still amnesty.
EEk! Sorry, I posted without seeing yours, didn't mean to repeat

Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,581,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I get SO weary of this argument..."It's NOT amnesty!! All it is, is giving a 'break' to some people who broke the law, and letting them start over, and benefit"...right.

I also get 'beaten up' pretty regularly on this forum by folks who chastize me by saying, in effect "I wish you'd quit talking about culture !! Culture has nothing to DO with the fact that some countries handle their people, and look at freedom and accountability, differently than others do ! It isn't 'culture', it's the way people LIVE" !!.....

It CAN get tiresome. You have my sympathy, (and I agree with your post)..

Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
EEk! Sorry, I posted without seeing yours, didn't mean to repeat
No problem. I think we posted simultaneously. Mine simply posted a split second prior to yours. With one accord!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,781,119 times
Someone please find me a country to go to. I fear I will no longer recognize this one.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Someone please find me a country to go to. I fear I will no longer recognize this one.
It's truly sad, isn't it? It's almost like watching the slow death of a loved one.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:56 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,488,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I get SO weary of this argument..."It's NOT amnesty!! All it is, is giving a 'break' to some people who broke the law, and letting them start over, and benefit"...right.

I also get 'beaten up' pretty regularly on this forum by folks who chastize me by saying, in effect "I wish you'd quit talking about culture !! Culture has nothing to DO with the fact that some countries handle their people, and look at freedom and accountability, differently than others do ! It isn't 'culture', it's the way people LIVE" !!.....

It CAN get tiresome. You have my sympathy, (and I agree with your post)..
Culture has everything to do with it. Illegal aliens from south of the border come from a culture that differs significantly from that in the US. When they relocate to the US and see no reason to make any of the cultural adjustments necessary to live in the US, there are going to be problems. Likewise, we would have problems if we moved (legally) to another country with a culture that was very different from our own and continued in the mindset of our former homeland. Let's say you (macmeal) move to a country where corruption is a part of daily life. You order a new couch and pay a total of $1000 to cover the cost of the couch and delivery. Unknown to you, your couch is not going to be delivered until you cough up an extra $75 in bribes. So you sit on the floor in your home, watching TV and patiently waiting for your couch to arrive. After a few days, you call the furniture store and ask what is going on. They tell you that you need to pay the 'additional charges' before the couch will be delivered and you explode. "What! I already paid the entire bill and I have the cancelled check to prove it!!", you shout. "I am going to"..............do what? Call the Better Business Bureau? Refuse to pay the $75? (you'll never get your couch) Call the police? (who are as crooked as everybody else) This is the way things are done in this country. Nothing happens without paying a bribe. You are operating under the 'rules' or culture of your old society, ie when you pay the bill you get your couch. Things don't work that way here. You need to kick in some extra bucks. If you intend to make this new country your home, either you adjust your thinking or you will be sitting on your living room floor forever.
Do ya know what I'm sayin'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration