Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:37 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times

Advertisements

NEWS-SUN STAFF REPORT

Chicago Mayor Richard Daley defended his city's stance on illegal immigration Thursday, hours after Lake County Sheriff Mark Curran blasted Chicago as a "sanctuary" for illegal immigrants.

In promoting the Sheriff Office's new deportation process for illegal immigrants, Curran told reporters that Chicago and the state don't do enough to prevent illegal immigration into this area.

"The city of Chicago, as well as the state of Illinois, has shown little interest in cooperating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (officials), choosing instead to ignore the problem, or worse to pander to special-interest groups and their sympathizers," Curran said at a late-morning news conference.

RELATED STORIES
• Sheriff: We'll send them back County moves to deport 75 illegal alien inmates
Earlier in the day, Curran shared similar views on WLS radio. Responding to those comments, Daley said it is not the job of the Chicago Police Department to deport immigrants.

"Immigrants do not commit the high percentage of crime that sometimes those anti-immigrant groups (claim)," said Daley. "They're hard-working, family-oriented, very religious and (have a) commitment to the American dream."

In 1985, Mayor Harold Washington issued an executive order prohibiting city employees from enforcing federal immigration laws. The move was to protest the federal government's decision to question people seeking city services and conduct random searches of city records in an effort to find undocumented immigrants.

Daley affirmed the executive order four years later and, in 2006, the City Council made the order a law.

An ICE spokeswoman said three federal agents are stationed at the Cook County Courthouse every weekday. They review arrest records of those born outside the United States. If they determine that an immigrant is here illegally, immigration puts a hold on them.

When asked about ruffling the feathers of other governmental bodies, Curran said it didn't bother him.

"I call it the way it is, and I'm not going to mince words because someone's feelings might get hurt," the sheriff said.

Daley defends Chicago's 'sanctuary' status :: News Sun :: News (http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/news/1172896,5_1_WA19_CURRAN_S2.article - broken link)

Mayor 10.25% sales tax, the highest in the nation is delusional at best. I guess he won't be happy until the illegal alien gangs kills half of Chicago's population and finishes decorating the entire city with their Latin King "art work". Here's hoping those on the 2016 Olympic committee is paying attention to the skyrocketing murder rates and poverty in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 06:23 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
I love how he uses "immigrants" and not illegal aliens. But cmon JDubsMom-he cannot offend the illegal alien population or risk having them leave. Afterall, there is an election and he needs the illegals to stick around and vote along with the dead and perhaps some family pets. As you know from living there the name Daley and voter fraud go hand in hand.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:56 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
As soon as he wants to run for another term or office he'll be singin like a canary changing his tune.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I love how he uses "immigrants" and not illegal aliens. But cmon JDubsMom-he cannot offend the illegal alien population or risk having them leave. Afterall, there is an election and he needs the illegals to stick around and vote along with the dead and perhaps some family pets. As you know from living there the name Daley and voter fraud go hand in hand.
You got it. Not only does he need them to vote our beloved Senator Obama into the office of POTUS, he is vying for the 2016 Olympics. He needs the cheap labor that illegal aliens will provide so that it doesn't cut into their profits.

It doesn't matter that the black and illegal alien gangs are killing each other and terrorizing neighborhoods everywhere.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
As soon as he wants to run for another term or office he'll be singin like a canary changing his tune.
Honestly, Chicago is in a tremendous amount of trouble financially, socially and morally. The anchor babies have taken over the city council, they are being sued by DHS, and there's a steady rise in Cook County property/sales tax and crime rates. One suburb actually sued in the hopes of deannexation from Chicago (Cook County). Homeowners are leaving Cook County in droves.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:39 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,931 times
JDUBS what is it about Chicago that is a big draw to illegal immigrants from sob. I thought Chicago was majority AA.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
JDUBS what is it about Chicago that is a big draw to illegal immigrants from sob. I thought Chicago was majority AA.
Chicago is an illegal alien sanctuary. In the last 20 years more and more anchor babies have gained political power and I believe that Mayor Daley realizes that his days are numbered and the numbers are few. There are many affluent whites and blacks residing in Chicago. While the city is ethnically diverse, it is racially segregated. The majority of the whites live on the north side, while the majority of blacks live on the south side. You do, however, have a large population of white immigrants and white illegal immigrants in Chicago as well.

I grew up in racist Chicago and left for the suburbs more than 25 years ago. I left right after they killed the first black Mayor Harold Washington. While I know that his official cause of death was listed as a heart attack, I have no doubt that he was murdered. Back then Chicago's nickname was Beirut by the lake. The council wars were fierce and very racially charged.

Chicago has always been (and probably always will be) a very racially polarized and segregated city. I am sure if he could, Mayor Daley would get rid of the illegal alien hispanics and keep the Irish and Polish illegals of which there are many. Unfortunately for him, the anchor babies own him and he owes them a great deal for convincing the latino population to vote for him.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:11 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Bottom line . . . Mayor Daley = Scumbag Pandering Politician willing to say and or do anything for The Vote!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Bottom line . . . Mayor Daley = Scumbag Pandering Politician willing to say and or do anything for The Vote!
In a nutshell. Thus, Illinois Senator, Barack Obama (who IMHO is cut from the same political rag) as POTUS will equal the end of American sovereignty.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
They're all scum.....Daley, Blago, Obama. Good Grief. The Holy Trinity already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration