Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,601,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
very
You had better wake up from your dream. This issue is much bigger than you could possibly fathom. You should hope it is resolved soon. Otherwise, I assure you, it’s going to get ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,601,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's because everyone is panicking over the stock market and can only think about one issue. Once the stock market goes back up people will start thinking about immigration again, only then it will probably be too late.
Yes, and I submit that it is no coincidence that we are experiencing economic problems at this time. This is all by design.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:45 PM

595 posts, read 2,747,334 times
I was thinking this same thing while I was watching the debate yesterday.

Why haven't they talked about immigration?

Did I miss something? I am sure this is a pretty big issue. Sure, to most it is nothing like the economy is right now, but its still pretty high up there.

So, since I wasn't getting any answers, I went onto both Obama's and McCain's websites to see if they had to say anything...

Obama:
“The time to fix our broken immigration system is now… We need stronger enforcement on the border and at the workplace… But for reform to work, we also must respond to what pulls people to America… Where we can reunite families, we should. Where we can bring in more foreign-born workers with the skills our economy needs, we should”
— Barack Obama, Statement on U.S. Senate Floor, May 23, 2007

Undocumented population is exploding: The number of undocumented immigrants in the country has increased more than 40 percent since 2000. Every year, more than a half-million people come illegally or illegally overstay their visas.
Immigration bureaucracy is broken: The immigration bureaucracy is broken and overwhelmed, forcing legal immigrants to wait years for applications.
Immigration raids are ineffective: Despite a sevenfold increase in recent years, immigration raids only netted 3,600 arrests in 2006 and have placed all the burdens of a broken system onto immigrant families.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Immigration
"As you know, I and many other colleagues twice attempted to pass comprehensive immigration legislation to fix our broken borders; ensure respect for the laws of this country; recognize the important economic contribution of immigrant laborers; apprehend those who came here illegally to commit crimes; and deal practically and humanely with those who came here, as my distant ancestors did, to build a better, safer life for their families, without excusing the fact they came here illegally or granting them privileges before those who have been waiting their turn outside the country. Many Americans did not believe us when we said we would secure our borders, and so we failed in our efforts. I don't want to fail again to achieve comprehensive immigration reform. We must prove we have the resources to secure our borders and use them, while respecting the dignity and rights of citizens and legal residents of the United States. When we have achieved our border security goal, we must enact and implement the other parts of practical, fair and necessary immigration policy. We have economic and humanitarian responsibilities as well, and they require no less dedication from us in meeting them."

- John McCain

His is pretty long, but he sounds like he has a pretty good idea of what needs to be done. Read the rest at his website: JohnMcCain.com - McCain-Palin 2008 (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/68db8157-d301-4e22-baf7-a70dd8416efa.htm - broken link)

I think that the reason they won't bring this up is because they don't want to lose their Hispanic voters.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,479,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
More to the point they both fear losing the hispanic vote....
Losing any hispanic vote would only prove to us that they were voting for him for the wrong reason.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,859,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
This is true. But, the fact that the moderators of these debates do not even broach the subject tells me that the truth is much deeper.

The media, politicians, and corporate lobbyists are in bed with each other and do not want this issue brought up.
I think so. It has to be. Both candidates are talking about making at least 30 million new citizens and having those new citizens bring in countless family members to join them -- when the USA is facing big layoffs and an economic crisis.

Why not at least have them each explain where they will find jobs for the bit "family reunification" projects they have in mind, and who will pay the health care for all the newcomers.

They should also have to explain why low wage labor is still necessary in light of the housing bubble problems -- too many houses have been built that are sitting empty to justify more cheap labor brought in to build houses.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i serioulsy doubt this.

you guys have had two years to put together counter marches against the immigrant marches. what will be different now? what will be the impetus?

people are happy with the way things are. a lot of people see the reality of our economic problems and it isnt a cheap illegal labor force by the way.

that lil iraq thing has a lot to do with our defecit.

the precise almost brilliant calculation of our tragic 9-11 set the tone for the next decade. we are living that now.
they attacked our defense, our money and were a hair away from attacking our head of state.
our response? we took the bait at the tune of trillions of dollars and what do we have to show for it?

nothing but resentment of a cheap labor force.

the economic hard times we face are not new or the fault of the illegals. did they play a role, im sure they did, just like greedy corporations did. but its larger than that. people see this.
sadly posters on this board are the face/monitor of the minority.

i dont know what would have to happen for the US people to really rally against this purported invasion. the raids are a solution. but they are very limited and very selective.

dont forget they aint raiding the farms and fields.

people are upset, but to a small degree.
i really think that our politicians would rather discuss larger more importatnt issues.

People are happy with the way things are now???? Where is all this happiness? People don't seem all that happy about a lot of things from what I can see.

And why are you so hell bent on having an unlimited source of cheap labor? Could it be that you employ illegals and want no limits placed on how many you can bring in?

We do not need wages in this country to continue dropping. And no -- we do not need to bring in millions of desperately poor people so that you can have an unlimited supply of cheap submissive workers who will take any dirt level pay offered.

For you elitists, it's all about your cheap servants isn't it. It's about privatizing the profits but socializing the costs. Bringing down the wages to ridiculously low levels by your open borders.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:35 PM

I think the reason they avoid the topic altogether is that both candidates are globalists, both are for the cheap labor lobby -- that is the corporations. There were deals made like NAFTA that depended on Mexico being able to send it's large underclass to the USA because NAFTA destroyed their traditional means of living.

It comes down to big money and the powers-that-be. It's all about bringing down wages and getting rid of the American middle class because the elite believe that all that's needed are the elite and a large pool of cheap workers and a more easily manipulated population.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,479,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You had better wake up from your dream. This issue is much bigger than you could possibly fathom. You should hope it is resolved soon. Otherwise, I assure you, it’s going to get ugly.

Benicar:
I stand beside you on that.

Theonlyone:
You may not be effect by Illegal Immigration now, but if full enforcement is not enacted soon, unless you've already completely sided with them. You will be effected and in ways you never imagined.
I feel for you, so please don't believe it now. It may be easier on you after your remaining brain cells have disappated and Alzheimers is set in completely.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,354,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
People are happy with the way things are now???? Where is all this happiness? People don't seem all that happy about a lot of things from what I can see.

And why are you so hell bent on having an unlimited source of cheap labor? Could it be that you employ illegals and want no limits placed on how many you can bring in?

We do not need wages in this country to continue dropping. And no -- we do not need to bring in millions of desperately poor people so that you can have an unlimited supply of cheap submissive workers who will take any dirt level pay offered.

For you elitists, it's all about your cheap servants isn't it. It's about privatizing the profits but socializing the costs. Bringing down the wages to ridiculously low levels by your open borders.
That is the absolute truth, unfortunately. Permanent damage has already been done to this country due to the last generation (or two) of illegal immigration from third world Latin American countries. The Trojan Horse has already been planted. Illegal immigration is an ASSAULT on the middle class of this country. This country is starting to resemble more and more closely a slave society-- or a caste system, where we maintain a huge underclass of the slaves/"untouchables"/illegals. What's sad is how few people see the light, on both parties.

The far left wants to politically empower illegals, legitimize them (as if the only problem is that they lack some kind of official document, hence the journalistic BS pc term "undocumented"), and encourage more to come. But the right wing isn't much better. What I've discovered is that most Republican politicians who even make a stink about illegals don't REALLY want the illegals to get the hell out. They actually WANT them to stay, but they want them to remain the underclass, remain in substandard slave status, threatening them with deportation/raids not to logistically remove illegals from our society, but as a way of threatening them to keep them in line.

Whereas, I truly want them OUT. I don't want illegals hanging around as an underclass to feel good about myself and try to pretend they don't exist. I don't believe our current system of using illegal labor is humane-- and I think the only way to end this inhumanity is by making a concerted effort to kick out as many illegals as logically possible. I've been living in LA temporarily (for school) for the last four months and I've seen first hand just how big this problem is. This place is ground zero, but it will spread from here to the rest of this country-- the culture that illegal immigrants bring with them and breed here, especially at the second generation level, the children of the illegals-- who may actually be considered US citizens, is a culture of gangbanging trash. They have turned literally HUNDREDS of square miles of this metro area which were once middle class suburban areas into dangerous ghettoes. I live in central LA and see this on a daily basis and it's quite frightening. I'm still undecided who to vote for in this upcoming election, but the fact that neither candidate is even touching the issue is quite disturbing.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
That is the absolute truth, unfortunately. Permanent damage has already been done to this country due to the last generation (or two) of illegal immigration from third world Latin American countries. The Trojan Horse has already been planted. Illegal immigration is an ASSAULT on the middle class of this country. This country is starting to resemble more and more closely a slave society-- or a caste system, where we maintain a huge underclass of the slaves/"untouchables"/illegals. What's sad is how few people see the light, on both parties.

The far left wants to politically empower illegals, legitimize them (as if the only problem is that they lack some kind of official document, hence the journalistic BS pc term "undocumented"), and encourage more to come. But the right wing isn't much better. What I've discovered is that most Republican politicians who even make a stink about illegals don't REALLY want the illegals to get the hell out. They actually WANT them to stay, but they want them to remain the underclass, remain in substandard slave status, threatening them with deportation/raids not to logistically remove illegals from our society, but as a way of threatening them to keep them in line.

Whereas, I truly want them OUT. I don't want illegals hanging around as an underclass to feel good about myself and try to pretend they don't exist. I don't believe our current system of using illegal labor is humane-- and I think the only way to end this inhumanity is by making a concerted effort to kick out as many illegals as logically possible. I've been living in LA temporarily (for school) for the last four months and I've seen first hand just how big this problem is. This place is ground zero, but it will spread from here to the rest of this country-- the culture that illegal immigrants bring with them and breed here, especially at the second generation level, the children of the illegals-- who may actually be considered US citizens, is a culture of gangbanging trash. They have turned literally HUNDREDS of square miles of this metro area which were once middle class suburban areas into dangerous ghettoes. I live in central LA and see this on a daily basis and it's quite frightening. I'm still undecided who to vote for in this upcoming election, but the fact that neither candidate is even touching the issue is quite disturbing.
Yes, to me it's been clear in the pro-illegal side's argument all along. "Who will make our beds!" "Who will mow our lawns!" "Who will do the stoop labor for little pay, content to sleep 14 to a floor of a shack without running water!" "Who will be our servants" and the famous "Americans think they're too good to work for little money and no benefits".

It's all about having an elite class with a huge peon class to wait on them hand and foot, who will not question why the janitors are sleeping in the back of the store working overtime without overtime pay and whatever happened to the middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration