Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,364,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidenmaine View Post
Perhaps because the US is one of the VERY FEW countries in the world that is mono-lingual - perhaps because Spanish is one of the top five languages spoken on the planet - perhaps because there are more LEGALS and illegals in the US. And lastly, perhaps because their Spanish grammar is certainly more enhanced than yours.
Acutally, it may well be the "enhancement" of grammar, as you put it, which has kept Spanish from being more universally accepted.

Say what you will about English; it is among the easiest of the major languages in which to gain a practical, working knowledge.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:09 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Acutally, it may well be the "enhancement" of grammar, as you put it, which has kept Spanish from being more universally accepted.

Say what you will about English; it is among the easiest of the major languages in which to gain a practical, working knowledge.
You do realize English is "universally accepted" because the United States is currently the most powerful and influential country, right?

Spanish isn't any less "universally accepted" than every other language that isn't English. I have no idea what you mean by the "enhancement of grammar". There are certain rules that are present in French, Spanish, Italian Latin languages that aren't present in Germanic languages like German and English.

French, Latin, Greek are just a few other languages that had their own run as top languages.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:45 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Agreed.

Flip side is that English is extremely difficult to speak properly due to its lack of rules.

Another tongue spoken by many people that is a bugger is Chinese (probably Mandarin).

Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM

50,481 posts, read 47,229,720 times
You'll go a lot farther in the International Business world with Chinese than any other language.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You'll go a lot farther in the International Business world with Chinese than any other language.
In China and Taiwan; yes..........any other nation-----I doubt it.

Especially factoring in that China is showing signs of imploding much like our crushed housing market and collapsed crude oil prices...........

Old 12-24-2008, 10:01 AM

50,481 posts, read 47,229,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In China and Taiwan; yes..........any other nation-----I doubt it.

Especially factoring in that China is showing signs of imploding much like our crushed housing market and collapsed crude oil prices...........
True, China's crash is what is causing crude to hit 40 a barrel but since we import so many goods from China, if you want to really get a good job in commerce, Chinese is a good bet.

A person I work with did just this and she gets job offers (big $) on a regular basis from job head hunters.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,249,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
OK, tinman -- it's christmas, and it's only fair you finish that story!
What is their reaction? Have you learned more Thai from the encounters?
LOL at first they are amazed that a farrang understood them, and then more amazed that the farrang knows how to insult them in their own tongue. And then as Thai people tend to be nonconfrontational the profuse apologies begin.
Asians tend to be profoundly polite to your face. In their culture its not rude to speak ill of someone when they don't know the language or are not there to hear it.. In our culture its acceptable to call someone on it. LOL

Old 12-24-2008, 05:08 PM

217 posts, read 417,284 times
Default just if you allow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Why should WE learn Spanish and the illegals don't have to learn English?

Me and some co-workers/friends had a really heated discussion earlier this week, and it stemmed from two of the hispanic girls speaking Spanish while everyone else was speaking English. One of the girls was born in Laredo Texas, therefore she IMO is American with Mexican descent. I asked her why, since they both know English, do they continue to speak Spanish around everyone else. She simply answered, "then you should learn Spanish", the other girl agreed with her. This set me off! I reminded her that she was an AMERICAN, she started saying she was Mexican, this went on for a few minutes. I also informed her that I am Czech and Irish, but I don't go around speaking Gaelic and Slovak. Then I asked her if she thought the illegals needed to learn English, she said NO. I then informed her that if they want to be in OUR country then they need to learn OUR language. Then I asked her a question which stumped her. "If you were to move to China or France, would you expect them to learn Spanish or would you learn Chinese or French"? She didn't have an answer other than "you still need to learn Spanish".

What brings on this mentality? I am not saying ALL hispanics do this, but more often than not it seems they EXPECT US to learn THEIR language, and not have to learn Ours?

WHY?

only if you allow it.. Stick to your guns and stand tall and tell them you are an American and you will speak english in our country..Their even telling our kids in school now they have to learn spanish.. this is being thrown in our face.. Don't allow it.. Speak up ..

Old 12-24-2008, 05:13 PM

858 posts, read 3,046,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnana5 View Post
Their even telling our kids in school now they have to learn spanish.. this is being thrown in our face.. Don't allow it.. Speak up ..
Not my kids!! I'll tell them not to learn spanish... No need for them to know it.. This is the USA.. Not mexico.. The only words my kids need to know is ENGLISH!!

Old 12-24-2008, 05:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
Not my kids!! I'll tell them not to learn spanish... No need for them to know it.. This is the USA.. Not mexico.. The only words my kids need to know is ENGLISH!!
Limiting your children's potential. Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.