Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:38 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

Advertisements

You actually have one? I always wondered if people had one like they do a Dentist or Doctor. I try to avoid them.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:45 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Default Why we should learn Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Why should WE learn Spanish and the illegals don't have to learn English?

Me and some co-workers/friends had a really heated discussion earlier this week, and it stemmed from two of the hispanic girls speaking Spanish while everyone else was speaking English. One of the girls was born in Laredo Texas, therefore she IMO is American with Mexican descent. I asked her why, since they both know English, do they continue to speak Spanish around everyone else. She simply answered, "then you should learn Spanish", the other girl agreed with her. This set me off! I reminded her that she was an AMERICAN, she started saying she was Mexican, this went on for a few minutes. I also informed her that I am Czech and Irish, but I don't go around speaking Gaelic and Slovak. Then I asked her if she thought the illegals needed to learn English, she said NO. I then informed her that if they want to be in OUR country then they need to learn OUR language. Then I asked her a question which stumped her. "If you were to move to China or France, would you expect them to learn Spanish or would you learn Chinese or French"? She didn't have an answer other than "you still need to learn Spanish".

What brings on this mentality? I am not saying ALL hispanics do this, but more often than not it seems they EXPECT US to learn THEIR language, and not have to learn Ours?

WHY?
This was explained to us at work when we were told about the plan to teach us Spanish. The Spanish Instructor explained that the Hispanics are not educated and they cannot learn English, so we will have to learn Spanish.

The main problem is that we do not have an official language in the United States. Jesse Helms was almost laughed out of the senate years ago when he submitted a bill to make English the official language in America. Doing this would save America a lot of money in many different ways. Some states are taking on this task by themselves. I guess the rest of the officials have never read the Bible about the tower of Babel and the problems speaking too many languages causes.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:48 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This was explained to us at work when we were told about the plan to teach us Spanish. The Spanish Instructor explained that the Hispanics are not educated and they cannot learn English, so we will have to learn Spanish.

The main problem is that we do not have an official language in the United States. Jesse Helms was almost laughed out of the senate years ago when he submitted a bill to make English the official language in America. Doing this would save America a lot of money in many different ways. Some states are taking on this task by themselves. I guess the rest of the officials have never read the Bible about the tower of Babel and the problems speaking too many languages causes.
Oh boy.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:06 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times

LOL

Old 10-25-2008, 06:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
illegals dont need to learn anything they need to leave.
stays here should be by invitation. unfortuately DC is in a 30 years under the table NAFTA with mexico.
as to us learning any foreign language that could be remotely useful to our kids, get him off the couch friend, he needs some hard job skills asap, when you are gone or in the old folks home life its going to be horrible just horrible for him.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:25 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

That 'instructor' is a condescending bigot towards others who speak Spanish.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Actually there are TV and Radio programs in Chinese in the LA area...
Ok, some tv and radio programs in the LA area....but is there korean and chinese and polish language ads in the midwest? Are all home depots from coast to coast using signs in english and arabic? How about ATMs...which languages are those programmed in? In my area only two - english and spanish.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I dont think a lot of these people have spent a lot of time in ethnic neighborhoods in urban areas.

When they say everyone except Mexicans speak English, it really makes me laugh.

I can't help but think of Chinatown, Koreatown, Alhambra, Monterrey Park, etc.

I dont think they realize that theres even tv channels dedicated to Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, etc.

And then they always bring up an example of so and so ethnicity in the office who speaks English being their evidence that all of so and so ethnicity speaks English. No ****. Theres tons of Latinos out there in offices and on the streets talking English too. Its embarassing really. Its like selective thinking.
Soooooo, I am just imaging every sign in the grocery store being printed in english and spanish? Or is it just not needed, since spanish speaking immigrants are learning english at the same rate as other non english speaking immigrants? Or are all the other non english speaking immigrants getting screwed over and also should be getting their own signage?

Now, I know you love my stories I actually thought of you today:

I was at a burger king playland with 3 of my kids today for lunch. In the play area there was only one other family, grandparents, parents and 3 kids. They were all speaking spanish. My dd asked what langauge they were speaking, and I replied spanish. My daughter asked 'just like dora!", I said yes, just like Dora. My son yelled at them "Ni hao! Ni hao!" which is hello in chinese. At anyrate, about that time a massive fight broke out between the kids. One of them went to the dad and tattled on the other two. So, they all got the international "knock it off or we're leaving" message from dad. As the tattler went back to the other two, one of them said in accentless English "You big fat liar!" And then everybody was back to spanish.
Right here is a prime example why the whole family should be fluent or at least passably so with english --- to know what the hell the kids are up to
Have a good night, amc!

Old 10-25-2008, 08:06 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Soooooo, I am just imaging every sign in the grocery store being printed in english and spanish? Or is it just not needed, since spanish speaking immigrants are learning english at the same rate as other non english speaking immigrants? Or are all the other non english speaking immigrants getting screwed over and also should be getting their own signage?

Now, I know you love my stories I actually thought of you today:

I was at a burger king playland with 3 of my kids today for lunch. In the play area there was only one other family, grandparents, parents and 3 kids. They were all speaking spanish. My dd asked what langauge they were speaking, and I replied spanish. My daughter asked 'just like dora!", I said yes, just like Dora. My son yelled at them "Ni hao! Ni hao!" which is hello in chinese. At anyrate, about that time a massive fight broke out between the kids. One of them went to the dad and tattled on the other two. So, they all got the international "knock it off or we're leaving" message from dad. As the tattler went back to the other two, one of them said in accentless English "You big fat liar!" And then everybody was back to spanish.
Right here is a prime example why the whole family should be fluent or at least passably so with english --- to know what the hell the kids are up to
Have a good night, amc!

You tell stories?
Honestly, I didnt really get the moral of your story. Kids were misbehaving, parents were talking to grandparents in Spanish, kids spoke English, hello in chinese...I dont get it.

To tell you whether or not I think your imagining it, let me ask you, where do you live?

Old 10-25-2008, 10:26 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,043,702 times
I know both Spanish and English, but prefer to speak Spanish to Hispanics. We usually feel more bonded and cohesive speaking the language of our mother country. I am in no way trying to offend non-Spanish speakers, and I do not see this as a big deal. It is a free country, and we are allowed to speak other languages. Now, If I approach a white person then I would speak to them in English. If I have to do a presentation in school, I do it in English. But please do not tell me what languages I can and cannot speak during my spare time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration