Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:38 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
These people the OP is referring to speak English and are American..they choose to speak Spanish to each other...maybe rude but I still assert that they said something that they did not want you to know...
or were at least having a private conversation.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalosalcedo09 View Post
I have had the same problem in a way at my work.
There is two ladies that work in the teachers lunch area. Both of them Hispanic, one older lady and one pretty young about 30 maybe.
The thing is every time I want to get food they talk to me in Spanish, It is really starting to aggravate me.
So what if I speak Spanish?! We are in the workplace in The United States of America.
I feel so offended, she( the younger one) just started talking to me in Spanish the first time she saw me just because I "looked" Hispanic. And she continues to speak Spanish to me even though my responses to her have always been 100% in English. I didnt even know what a chalupa was lol.
I can understand if the older lady has a hard time speaking English and I completely respect that she is trying to work and make a living. I would not be mad at her, like I understand that my grandma at 90 years old is not going to be fluent in English any time soon.

But this other lady just aggravates me!
If she does it again I am gonna ask her please not to, and ask her why she does?
If she continues, then the school is going to hear form me.

Just comes to show. They dont care about assimilating, they just want this country to be converted to a territory of mexico.
It's very bad in the workplaces here. We've often had problems with the Mexicans deliberately excluding Americans from conversations both in the break rooms and work places.

I've witnessed conversations even being in English -- by the Chicanos who know both but when an American enters the room they switch to Spanish so that person will be left out.

You don't see this same kind of thing going on with other immigrants. We've had Iranians working together at the same time, Germans, Indians and Chinese who all did their best to fit in and speak English even with each other. In fact those immigrants didn't seem to "need each other" because they just fell in with everyone else.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's very bad in the workplaces here. We've often had problems with the Mexicans deliberately excluding Americans from conversations both in the break rooms and work places.

I've witnessed conversations even being in English -- by the Chicanos who know both but when an American enters the room they switch to Spanish so that person will be left out.

You don't see this same kind of thing going on with other immigrants. We've had Iranians working together at the same time, Germans, Indians and Chinese who all did their best to fit in and speak English even with each other. In fact those immigrants didn't seem to "need each other" because they just fell in with everyone else.
Ever see that episode of Seinfeld when Elaine gets her nails done with the Koreans, and theyre all making fun of her in Korean?

haha..

its always "only the Mexicans" Jeeesus Christ.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:35 PM

74 posts, read 124,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Because she speaks English, and likes to converse in Spanish. Right.
What a ridiculous statement.
Why would she care about assimilating, if she's already assimilated! Assimilated means picking up on English..you don't have to not ever speak Spanish to be "assimilated".
And the phrase is "just goes to show"
I don't think you understand, she works like a fast food restaurant worker does, she gets your food and charges you for it.
We're not just sitting around at a table and talking. She is supposed to be doing her job. If she was another person on their break talking to me I would just walk away. But if I want food I must go through her.
If she is going to work in America, specially in a teacher's dining area where at least 75% of the teachers and staff speak only English, she should speak English at all times, or at least when shes talking to someone who is not her friend or who has told her it is ok to speak Spanish to her.
What bothered me is that she spoke Spanish to me the first time she saw me, while she spoke English to everyone else, just because I look Hispanic, and I don't even look all that Hispanic.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalosalcedo09 View Post
I don't think you understand, she works like a fast food restaurant worker does, she gets your food and charges you for it.
We're not just sitting around at a table and talking. She is supposed to be doing her job. If she was another person on their break talking to me I would just walk away. But if I want food I must go through her.
If she is going to work in America, specially in a teacher's dining area where at least 75% of the teachers and staff speak only English, she should speak English at all times, or at least when shes talking to someone who is not her friend or who has told her it is ok to speak Spanish to her.
What bothered me is that she spoke Spanish to me the first time she saw me, while she spoke English to everyone else, just because I look Hispanic, and I don't even look all that Hispanic.
She was probably just being friendly. Many people will come up to me and say something in Spanish, and even though my Spanish isnt that good, I dont get offended. Most of the time, they are being friendly and see you as kin. Like they feel comfortable with you. If they dont speak English, I try my best to speak Spanish, and they appreciate it.
Its not like theyre doing it to you out of malice. Why do you take it that way? Youre not losing any American points by being friendly and responding in Spanish.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 PM

74 posts, read 124,998 times
Quote:
She was probably just being friendly. Many people will come up to me and say something in Spanish, and even though my Spanish isnt that good, I dont get offended. Most of the time, they are being friendly and see you as kin. Like they feel comfortable with you. If they dont speak English, I try my best to speak Spanish, and they appreciate it.
Its not like theyre doing it to you out of malice. Why do you take it that way? Youre not losing any American points by being friendly and responding in Spanish.
At the workplace I speak English, Spanish when my kids need it. It bothers me that she refuses to speak English to me. That is all. If I went to south America got a job there and spoke English to everyone I would be looked down upon.
I'll ask her to speak to me in English and if she refuses then I will be mad, for now I'm just bothered.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:50 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,620 times
I have a friend who works at Virgin megastores who is not even Hispanic yet she told me when she first started working there that some of her Hispanic co-workers assumed she was one of them so they went up and started speaking to her in Spanish and were surprised to find out she does not even speak Spanish. And that's because she is Bulgarian American. I think they assumed she was one of them because of her olive skin complexion and very dark hair. Not all people of European descent have light hair and pale Nordic complexions, so that was ignorance on their part for automatically assuming she was not a Non Hispanic White because she didn't look like she came straight out of a Scandinavian a country.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:22 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,243 times
Quote:
And I have no reason to believe her.

btw.....I AM A "HE"!!! Do you want that in Spanish to? Nah...this is America so I'll leave it just in English!

Last edited by TXTwizter; 10-25-2008 at 01:37 AM..

Old 10-25-2008, 07:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I have a friend who works at Virgin megastores who is not even Hispanic yet she told me when she first started working there that some of her Hispanic co-workers assumed she was one of them so they went up and started speaking to her in Spanish and were surprised to find out she does not even speak Spanish. And that's because she is Bulgarian American. I think they assumed she was one of them because of her olive skin complexion and very dark hair. Not all people of European descent have light hair and pale Nordic complexions, so that was ignorance on their part for automatically assuming she was not a Non Hispanic White because she didn't look like she came straight out of a Scandinavian a country.
I know what you mean there: I have known many 'Anglos' who look like Mestizos------------and get pegged as such.

My funny story some years ago was when a 'Latina' walked into a coffeehouse. I (politely) said something to her and when she replied in a British English accent----------I almost fell over! She was definitely English.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:30 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,604,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
btw.....I AM A "HE"!!! Do you want that in Spanish to? Nah...this is America so I'll leave it just in English!
Many of us assumed you were a her...My bad for my wrong assumption. That is why I brought up getting your nails done.

Anyways, in big cities (NYC, LA) you hear all sorts of different languages. If you hear Russian, Arab, Chinese...etc...it is "culture"

If you hear Spanish then it is illegals refusing to assimilate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration