Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Baloney. I can EASILY distinguish between a blond Spaniard and a brunette German....their hair color is different. I can ALSO tell the difference between an American, and a white Cuban. Americans come in ALL colors...white Cubans are white.
I can do better yet. I can distinguish between a blond American and a blond Britishman. And I can tell a brunette German from a brunette American.

I can even tell the difference between a German and an Irishman.

I'm often clever enough to tell a Canadian from an American.

If that's not amazing enough, I can even usually tell a blond Alabaman from a blond New Yorker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,592,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I can do better yet. I can distinguish between a blond American and a blond Britishman. And I can tell a brunette German from a brunette American.

I can even tell the difference between a German and an Irishman.

I'm often clever enough to tell a Canadian from an American.

If that's not amazing enough, I can even usually tell a blond Alabaman from a blond New Yorker.
Amazing. How about a resident of Kansas, vs a Central American ?.....or someone from Maine, vs someone from the Far East?....a Native American vs a person native to America?....

Old 02-16-2009, 09:41 PM

50,610 posts, read 47,452,196 times
I hate it when the drapes don't match the carpet........

oh no I digress

Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Amazing. How about a resident of Kansas, vs a Central American ?.....or someone from Maine, vs someone from the Far East?....a Native American vs a person native to America?....
Yes those too. I can tell apart a black American who grew up in Georgia from someone who grew up in Barbados. I can often tell a Hoosier from a Texan -- any race.

So of course I can tell a white Spaniard or a white Cuban or a white Mexican from an American. If you know enough Spanish, you can usually tell a white Spaniard from a white Mexican.

Culture has everything to do with it.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,592,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes those too. I can tell apart a black American who grew up in Georgia from someone who grew up in Barbados. I can often tell a Hoosier from a Texan -- any race.

So of course I can tell a white Spaniard or a white Cuban or a white Mexican from an American. If you know enough Spanish, you can usually tell a white Spaniard from a white Mexican.

Culture has everything to do with it.
Good. I can even tell a drunk from an alcoholic. Drunks don't have to go to all those tedious meetings...

Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,756,765 times
Back on topic people. Cultural differences.
Please.
Yac.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:22 PM

17,439 posts, read 28,703,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Here in Arizona: being mistaken for 'Hispanic' can be bigger fightin' words
I've witnessed fights provoked by Latinos calling Irish-Americans "Anglo". That's offensive on an n-word level, particularly to someone from South Boston, Northeast Philly, Bay Ridge in Brooklyn, etc.

Quote:
----------one huge reason that there is little/no 'Sopranos' type attitude by people of Italian lineage here.
Is it possible that the lack of such attitudes by Arizonans of Italian ancestry might be because Arizonans are less fascinated by NY culture than many other parts of the US and there may be fewer Northeastern transplants in AZ?
I've seen white NY/NJ guys with dark hair and dark eyes (whether of Italian ancestry or not - many are of Jewish, Greek, Irish etc. ancestry and don't have any Italian ancestry whatsoever) in both L.A. and the Bay Area adapt "mob" pretensions even if they were nerds back home as it goes with the accent, and people eat it up.

Quote:
As for the 'Irish': if anything; Irish surnames here are relatively rare, believe it or not.
More evidence that AZ doesn't have that many Northeastern transplants or at least didn't get as many as California or Nevada.

Quote:
Believe it or not: I self identify as 'Anglo'------------despite being 1/2 Hungarian and (probably) 1/4th Scots-Irish with the rest English and possibly a smidge of American Indian.
I wouldn't think Ulster Protestants ("Scots-Irish") would have as much of a problem with being called "Anglo" as Irish Catholics would have, given the history.

Despite the sizeable amount of Americans with Ulster Protestant heritage there seems to be far less identification with the home country amongst them than amongst Americans of Irish Catholic ancestry. There are only a very few exceptions, like someone I met once who said they found Ted Kennedy's association with NORAID far more offensive than Chappaquiddick....

Old 02-17-2009, 07:04 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,239,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I've witnessed fights provoked by Latinos calling Irish-Americans "Anglo". That's offensive on an n-word level, particularly to someone from South Boston, Northeast Philly, Bay Ridge in Brooklyn, etc.

Is it possible that the lack of such attitudes by Arizonans of Italian ancestry might be because Arizonans are less fascinated by NY culture than many other parts of the US and there may be fewer Northeastern transplants in AZ?
I've seen white NY/NJ guys with dark hair and dark eyes (whether of Italian ancestry or not - many are of Jewish, Greek, Irish etc. ancestry and don't have any Italian ancestry whatsoever) in both L.A. and the Bay Area adapt "mob" pretensions even if they were nerds back home as it goes with the accent, and people eat it up.

More evidence that AZ doesn't have that many Northeastern transplants or at least didn't get as many as California or Nevada.

I wouldn't think Ulster Protestants ("Scots-Irish") would have as much of a problem with being called "Anglo" as Irish Catholics would have, given the history.

Despite the sizeable amount of Americans with Ulster Protestant heritage there seems to be far less identification with the home country amongst them than amongst Americans of Irish Catholic ancestry. There are only a very few exceptions, like someone I met once who said they found Ted Kennedy's association with NORAID far more offensive than Chappaquiddick....
In a nutshell: attitudes here in Arizona are quite different as in there are no Irish, Italian, etc. enclaves for Anglo AKA non Hispanic Whites.

For that matter: most people of 'Italian' lineage here with the 'Guido' attitude tend to be from east of the Mississippi River whereas at least SoCal natives of that same ethnicity tend to identify as Americans first.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,613,520 times
Assimilation is the key component, IMO. My ex, for example, is so Americanized I often forget he wasn’t born here. He has adopted the ‘culture’ of an American. If not for his accent, no one would ever suspect he’s Hispanic. Likewise, I know a white Cuban family who are simply American. Their Hispanic surname is the only indication.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,239,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Assimilation is the key component, IMO. My ex, for example, is so Americanized I often forget he wasn’t born here. He has adopted the ‘culture’ of an American. If not for his accent, no one would ever suspect he’s Hispanic. Likewise, I know a white Cuban family who are simply American. Their Hispanic surname is the only indication.
And; certain surnames that are usually Spanish can belong to non Hispanic people as well:

Barron sometimes English
Lucas " "
Ayala can be Italian as well as the surname Sacramento
Gomez can be Turkish

etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration