Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,293,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Are you suggesting that it is a coincidance that they all with thought and consideration named themselves 'La Raza'? They had no idea that other organizations (again, was it coincidance that they are all Latino immigration groups?) had the same name or variation thereof?

Perhaps you are right, and it is all a horrendous mistake..........but then, I cringe whenever I see the neighbors lawn service pull up. It's called Katies Kanine Kleanup, somehow I doubt thats a coincidance either.
Or what, it's a conspiracy?
It is no "coincidance"(sic) any more than it is coincidence that there are more than one group representing Black interests, or Asian/Pacific Islander interests, etc.

You are horribly lost in the translation of what "La Raza" means. You guys are just too stubborn to admit it means anything more than "the people" or "the community".
And do your homework, they are not "Latino immigration groups". They are Latino advocacy groups, that are involved in the immigration debate.

There are lots of groups meant to represent the needs of various ethnic groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
At least mkfarnan is anti illegal immigration/amnesty-----------can you make that same claim?

Otherwise: you are nothing more than a traitor to the USA.
So in other words, you're saying that it's okay to troll if "at least (one) is anti illegal immigration/amnesty"?

I am not anti-amnesty, and why would I want to make that same claim if I don't feel that way?
And by the way, isn't it an oxymoron to be pro-illegal/amnesty?

And disagreeing with you doesn't make me a "traitor to the USA". I am very much American without your personal values and opinions.

And there are PLENTY of people who disagree with your personal values and opinions, sorry to say.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:14 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,957,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Some crimes are worse than others, and laws aren't synonymous with morals to me.
I can safely say the majority of people on this forum have "deliberately broken a law" at some point.
who determined that the illegal immigrants have the right to decide which crimes are worse than others in america? illegals may continue to break the law, but americans will continue to stand up for the laws of our country. the big issue here should not be why we are not allowing lawbreakers, but why will mexico keep siphoning their workers off to the united states rather than fixing their own economy? mexico needs to deal with the root problem of their own country, which is massive corruption and incompetence, instead of trying to pass the blame to americans.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:45 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,671,227 times
Quote:
Or what, it's a conspiracy?
It is no "coincidance"(sic) any more than it is coincidence that there are more than one group representing Black interests, or Asian/Pacific Islander interests, etc.

You are horribly lost in the translation of what "La Raza" means. You guys are just too stubborn to admit it means anything more than "the people" or "the community".
And do your homework, they are not "Latino immigration groups". They are Latino advocacy groups, that are involved in the immigration debate.

There are lots of groups meant to represent the needs of various ethnic groups.
A conspiracy? No, but it is certainly not a coincidence either. (thanks for the spell check, btw ). Most organizations go to great lengths to assure their name is unique so that potential members and donors do not become confused as to their mandates and purposes. To have so many include 'La Raza' in their name shows solidarity with each other, which is fine, but if this is the case please don't pretend to be surprised when people link the groups together.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,496,432 times
Neither are wrong about the definition of "La Raza". But if they were so conserned about the name and wanted to prevent from having it being misinterpeted as "the race", which it does mean in spanish, they would have choosen something more specific, which they didn't.
Without admittion, LaRaza is proud to be concidered racist.

Remember, these are La Raza's defining words. not a dictionary's.

Quote:
"The Translation of Our Name: National Council of La Raza"

The Translation of Our Name: National Council of La Raza
Many people incorrectly translate our name, “La Raza,” as “the race.” While it is true that one meaning of “raza” in Spanish is indeed “race,” in Spanish, as in English and any other language, words can and do have multiple meanings. As noted in several online dictionaries, “La Raza” means “the people” or “the community.” Translating our name as “the race” is not only inaccurate, it is factually incorrect. “Hispanic” is an ethnicity, not a race. As anyone who has ever met a Dominican American, Mexican American, or Spanish American can attest, Hispanics can be and are members of any and all races.
National Council of La Raza: Translation of La Raza (http://www.nclr.org/section/translation/ - broken link)

Old 11-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Neither are wrong about the definition of "La Raza". But if they were so conserned about the name and wanted to prevent from having it being misinterpeted as "the race", which it does mean in spanish, they would have choosen something more specific, which they didn't.
Without admittion, LaRaza is proud to be concidered racist.

Remember, these are La Raza's defining words. not a dictionary's.

National Council of La Raza: Translation of La Raza (http://www.nclr.org/section/translation/ - broken link)
I'm guessing that you probably wouldn't understand the term "lost in the translation".
But thanks for the link:

Quote:
Many people incorrectly translate our name, “La Raza,” as “the race.” While it is true that one meaning of “raza” in Spanish is indeed “race,” in Spanish, as in English and any other language, words can and do have multiple meanings. As noted in several online dictionaries, “La Raza” means “the people” or “the community.” Translating our name as “the race” is not only inaccurate, it is factually incorrect. “Hispanic” is an ethnicity, not a race. As anyone who has ever met a Dominican American, Mexican American, or Spanish American can attest, Hispanics can be and are members of any and all races.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
A conspiracy? No, but it is certainly not a coincidence either. (thanks for the spell check, btw ). Most organizations go to great lengths to assure their name is unique so that potential members and donors do not become confused as to their mandates and purposes. To have so many include 'La Raza' in their name shows solidarity with each other, which is fine, but if this is the case please don't pretend to be surprised when people link the groups together.
I'm sorry, but you are way off.

I think people, such as those on this forum, don't care about the differences of the group.
Some idiot along the way decided to use something as lame as the name of the organization as "proof" of his views on Latinos.
"La Raza means the race! They're racisssttt!"
Great detective work!
I wonder if that same person gets the Knights of Columbus confused with the KKK.

La Raza was a term during the Chicano civil rights movements of the 60s. It was a very strong term of solidarity in the Chicano community, and still is.

Two distinctly different groups took on that legendary term in their name. If anyone can't tell the difference between them, its not their fault. It's the confused person's fault for being too stupid and too narrow minded to even look for a difference.

All they need to know is 3 things: 1. They are a Latino organization, 2. The words in their name, and 3. They are pro-immigrant/amnesy/Latino representation in this country.

Immediately, they are racist(because no other organization in the United States looks out for an ethnicity or race, right?), and are evil conspirators against America.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:37 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,241,814 times
Actually; I do classify MEChA and the KKK together. The difference being that it is not (yet) acceptable to put MEChA in its place.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:39 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,671,227 times
Quote:

I think people, such as those on this forum, don't care about the differences of the group.
Some idiot along the way decided to use something as lame as the name of the organization as "proof" of his views on Latinos.
Great detective work!
I wonder if that same person gets the Knights of Columbus confused with the KKK.

La Raza was a term during the Chicano civil rights movements of the 60s. It was a very strong term of solidarity in the Chicano community, and still is.

Two distinctly different groups took on that legendary term in their name. If anyone can't tell the difference between them, its not their fault. It's the confused person's fault for being too stupid and too narrow minded to even look for a difference.

All they need to know is 3 things: 1. They are a Latino organization, 2. The words in their name, and 3. They are pro-immigrant/amnesy/Latino representation in this country.

Immediately, they are racist(because no other organization in the United States looks out for an ethnicity or race, right?), and are evil conspirators against America.
There is a very simple concept called 'branding'......that is why a store in Kentucky would be sued if they called themselves 'Macys', or a 'Guci' bag isn't worth as much as a 'Gucci' (plus it is illegal to sell said 'guci'). These 'La Raza' organizations are fine with sharing a substantial part of their name with other similiar groups leads one to the only conclusion that they are affiliated in some way. That doesn't make the general public 'stupid' -- or myself as I believe you were getting at. But it does make the various organizations seem at best as offshoots of one another and at worst branches of the same organization.
If I had a business that shared even a slight name resemblance to a hate group, I would either change my name or if I had the name first, sue the hate group to stop them from using it. That the various La Razas have done neither more then suggests a certain comfort with their brethern. And their views.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:45 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,241,814 times
Quote:

Great detective work!

Quote:
There is a very simple concept called 'branding'......that is why a store in Kentucky would be sued if they called themselves 'Macys', or a 'Guci' bag isn't worth as much as a 'Gucci' (plus it is illegal to sell said 'guci'). These 'La Raza' organizations are fine with sharing a substantial part of their name with other similiar groups leads one to the only conclusion that they are affiliated in some way. That doesn't make the general public 'stupid' -- or myself as I believe you were getting at. But it does make the various organizations seem at best as offshoots of one another and at worst branches of the same organization.
If I had a business that shared even a slight name resemblance to a hate group, I would either change my name or if I had the name first, sue the hate group to stop them from using it. That the various La Razas have done neither more then suggests a certain comfort with their brethern. And their views.
It is called being tarred by the same brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration