Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
That was once true but both sides of the border have started to crack down on the Cartels...They (Known cartel associates) pretty much have to hide now because they will be killed or arrested.

Let us hope that the Mexican and US Government uses military force against these cartels. The police on both sides of the border are ill equip to handle the cartels...

Anyways, despite the drug war going on in Juarez, El Paso is an amazingly safe city.
Also -- there is a difference between American hispanics of the Southwest USA who have long roots in the USA and some of the types coming in illegally. I would say that American hispanics generally have good values, raise their children well.

There are problems however in many of the illegal immigrant areas. High rates of fatherlessness, high drop out rates, high welfare rates. Some of this is directly caused by our welfare programs that promote illegitimacy and rewarding of unwed mothers. I've seen things that are quite amazing, and very bad.

For example a woman from Mexico came here, intentionally became pregnant figuring all she had to do is "make it" until the baby was born and then she could not be deported and would get welfare from the baby's legal status.

Sure enough she got pregnant, but did not work out as a maid and was fired. She only had 2 months more to go and so moved into a shabby old trailer with some drunk -- no one knew if he was the father or someone else, but one day he beat her and she miscarried the baby and apparently did end up deported. She had every intention of simply having a baby as a way to get around the legal immigration laws and to get at the handouts.

And then there's the problem of parents leaving children behind in Mexico and Central America which is leading to social breakdown in those countries. Who ends up raising these children of "remittance parents" -- sometimes loving grandparents, aunts or uncles but often they are dumped on someone who really did not want them. A monthly wire is not parenting your children. It's leading to more harm than good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 01:05 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,631,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Also -- there is a difference between American hispanics of the Southwest USA who have long roots in the USA and some of the types coming in illegally. I would say that American hispanics generally have good values, raise their children well.

There are problems however in many of the illegal immigrant areas. High rates of fatherlessness, high drop out rates, high welfare rates. Some of this is directly caused by our welfare programs that promote illegitimacy and rewarding of unwed mothers. I've seen things that are quite amazing, and very bad.

For example a woman from Mexico came here, intentionally became pregnant figuring all she had to do is "make it" until the baby was born and then she could not be deported and would get welfare from the baby's legal status.

Sure enough she got pregnant, but did not work out as a maid and was fired. She only had 2 months more to go and so moved into a shabby old trailer with some drunk -- no one knew if he was the father or someone else, but one day he beat her and she miscarried the baby and apparently did end up deported. She had every intention of simply having a baby as a way to get around the legal immigration laws and to get at the handouts.

And then there's the problem of parents leaving children behind in Mexico and Central America which is leading to social breakdown in those countries. Who ends up raising these children of "remittance parents" -- sometimes loving grandparents, aunts or uncles but often they are dumped on someone who really did not want them. A monthly wire is not parenting your children. It's leading to more harm than good.
I can agree with that...

Old 12-13-2008, 09:40 PM

117 posts, read 294,130 times
Just because a city has alot of Hispanics doesn't mean it's going to be a crazy, violent, or dangerous place. The reason is because most Hispanics (especially Mexican-Americans) in the US have long roots in the USA and respect their country. Most of them aren't immigrants or anchor babies, but born citizens with generation after generation of US born citizens. The illegal immigrants are NOT the same as these people.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:46 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,293,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
Just because a city has alot of Hispanics doesn't mean it's going to be a crazy, violent, or dangerous place. The reason is because most Hispanics (especially Mexican-Americans) in the US have long roots in the USA and respect their country. Most of them aren't immigrants or anchor babies, but born citizens with generation after generation of US born citizens. The illegal immigrants are NOT the same as these people.
The difference is in the paperwork, and the fact they sneaked in instead of coming legally.

There are some really bad people who are illegal, just like there are some really bad people who are citizens.

Being illegal doesn't someone more likely to put a gun in your face, just like being a citizen doesn't make you any less likely.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,592,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
The difference is in the paperwork, and the fact they sneaked in instead of coming legally.

There are some really bad people who are illegal, just like there are some really bad people who are citizens.

Being illegal doesn't someone more likely to put a gun in your face, just like being a citizen doesn't make you any less likely.
That "fine point" (legality vs illegality) does carry a lot of weight, though. While I don't think anyone maintains that 'all illegals are bad people' the fact remains that all illegals are here illegally, and no illegal is legally entitled to be here. Being a 'good person' or a bad one has little to do with it.

I can have a REALLY rotten, foul-mouthed, disrespectful kid....and YOU may have a nice, well-behaved child. Nevertheless, I am responsible for the support, and liable for the misdeeds of MY kid....but YOUR kid is not my responsibility.

"Rotten" American citizens and their crimes are a part of our responsibility as a society. Crimes committed by 'outsiders' are not...(or at least they SHOULDN'T be..)

By the way, the "paperwork" reference is not a very good defense for anything. Virtually ALL non-violent crimes..(even felonies)... are REALLY "just a matter of paperwork"....right?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:24 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,293,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That "fine point" (legality vs illegality) does carry a lot of weight, though. While I don't think anyone maintains that 'all illegals are bad people' the fact remains that all illegals are here illegally, and no illegal is legally entitled to be here. Being a 'good person' or a bad one has little to do with it.

I can have a REALLY rotten, foul-mouthed, disrespectful kid....and YOU may have a nice, well-behaved child. Nevertheless, I am responsible for the support, and liable for the misdeeds of MY kid....but YOUR kid is not my responsibility.

"Rotten" American citizens and their crimes are a part of our responsibility as a society. Crimes committed by 'outsiders' are not...(or at least they SHOULDN'T be..)
That I agree with.

Why not just focus on the fact that they are here illegally and on whatever impact the sheer numbers of them is having on infrastructure and social services?

There's plenty to go on there. Do we really need to vilify them even more by claiming it's "normal" for them to commit more heinous crimes than crossing illegally?
Or that they are all diabolical people by nature with evil intentions?
To act like it's part of their culture to rape children and torture kittens and kidnapping Americans' dogs to eat for dinner? Those examples having literally been brought up by people on this forum.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:32 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,239,753 times
Quote:
That I agree with.

Why not just focus on the fact that they are here illegally and on whatever impact the sheer numbers of them is having on infrastructure and social services?

There's plenty to go on there. Do we really need to vilify them even more by claiming it's "normal" for them to commit more heinous crimes than crossing illegally?
To act like it's part of their culture to rape children and torture kittens and kidnapping Americans' dogs to eat for dinner? Those examples having literally been brought up by people on this forum.
The illegal alien problem will soon be rendered moot----------as our recession deepens. Even California is now starting to check SSN's more closely.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:36 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,592,924 times
Quote:
That I agree with.

I agree....I can only say that when people become frustrated by years of 'stonewalling' from those in high office (who, after all, are SUPPOSED to be working for US), then sometimes they say unreasonable things. If the people who swore to uphold our laws would really DO SO, this entire forum would probably fade away from lack of interest.

We shouldn't be "debating" about illegal immigration..any more than we should be "debating" about drunk driving, or practicing medicine without a license, or shoplifting, or false advertising. They're against the law...period. And if you're DOING these things, you probably shouldn't get into a 'debate' about it with others.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,901,457 times
Quote:
That I agree with.

I think when it comes to illegals (but not to long time American-hispanics) is that there will be increasing violence because of what massive emigration is doing to the sending regions.

First the working age which of course includes many parents of young children leave to come to the USA. They may or may not send back remittance money, sometimes they send it back for a while and then as they "forget" about the family they left behind this money tapers off.

It's easy to forget. They may have started a family back home while very very young. Loneliness sets in and they begin hitting the clubs, they find new and more exciting possibilities. Absence makes the heart forget so many move on, start up new families.

Obvioiusly massive emigration isn't going to benefit the sending regions in any way. The working age population is gone. They aren't there to create jobs. The abandoned children grow up BUT they aren't growing up with their parents in the home, they aren't working side-by-side with their parents like was done in past generations. Little boys aren't learning how to do the work of men, often now they don't know their fathers.

These children often grow up on the streets. In the best cases, they grow up with loving grandparents or aunts and maybe even uncles and received the remittance money and just never saw their parents but heard from them now and then. In the worst cases they were simply abandoned and grew up on the streets, and for many the situation is somewhere in the middle.

Unfortunately many of these children ended up raised by the street gangs. They never had the opportunity to learn hard physical work. When they can, they will "reunite" with long lost family members in the USA but they will not be the same as that generation.

Right now we have the meek submissive yard boys and live-in nannies that will quietly work for low wages and for long hours. The coming batches grew up in a different setting and cannot be expected to be as meek and docile.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:57 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,239,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think when it comes to illegals (but not to long time American-hispanics) is that there will be increasing violence because of what massive emigration is doing to the sending regions.

First the working age which of course includes many parents of young children leave to come to the USA. They may or may not send back remittance money, sometimes they send it back for a while and then as they "forget" about the family they left behind this money tapers off.

It's easy to forget. They may have started a family back home while very very young. Loneliness sets in and they begin hitting the clubs, they find new and more exciting possibilities. Absence makes the heart forget so many move on, start up new families.

Obvioiusly massive emigration isn't going to benefit the sending regions in any way. The working age population is gone. They aren't there to create jobs. The abandoned children grow up BUT they aren't growing up with their parents in the home, they aren't working side-by-side with their parents like was done in past generations. Little boys aren't learning how to do the work of men, often now they don't know their fathers.

These children often grow up on the streets. In the best cases, they grow up with loving grandparents or aunts and maybe even uncles and received the remittance money and just never saw their parents but heard from them now and then. In the worst cases they were simply abandoned and grew up on the streets, and for many the situation is somewhere in the middle.

Unfortunately many of these children ended up raised by the street gangs. They never had the opportunity to learn hard physical work. When they can, they will "reunite" with long lost family members in the USA but they will not be the same as that generation.

Right now we have the meek submissive yard boys and live-in nannies that will quietly work for low wages and for long hours. The coming batches grew up in a different setting and cannot be expected to be as meek and docile.
Said 'coming batches' of people best stay home---------their probable gangbanger attitude will get them hurt very badly (or killed) here in the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration