Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times

Advertisements

but Tijuana and Juarez are on pace for 2,500 murders combined this year?

El Paso, San Antonio, Austin, etc etc are Hispanic majority cities and are among the safest in the US - why such a difference across an imaginery line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:49 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,398 times
Tijuana and Juarez are two of the busiest ports with the US, making them very important in the drug trade.

People have implied that Mexicans/Hispanics have a tendency for crime, but as you can see, that's just malarkey.

In the drug trade, like everything else, its location, location, location.

Much of Mexico isn't as dangerous as the areas the drug thugs take over (border cities, Sinaloa), and now they have since made a mess in famous resort cities like Acapulco.

Some of the major organizations moving drugs in Mexico are in complete disarray right now from having their leaders incarcerated, or killed. So right now, it's a huge power struggle that is going out of control.

The murders aren't random at all. They are pretty much orchestrated against each other, and the people involved with them, with unfortunately some people getting caught in the middle of the gunfire.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:36 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
El Paso among the safest cities in the USA?

Guess Hispanics are not what most of you on this board think they are...

Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 PM

Even Los Angeles has a much lower crime rate than 15 years ago. Even with the influx of illegals, and the growing legal Latino population.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 PM

33 posts, read 118,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Even Los Angeles has a much lower crime rate than 15 years ago. Even with the influx of illegals, and the growing legal Latino population.
LA blacks moved back east to places like St. Louis or simply joined the middle class. Better policing can also be a reason for this, or maybe a need for Mexican drug smugglers to take care of their 'killing' business across the border to reduce attention on themselves from U.S. authorities.

I think there are many reasons for lesser crime in LA.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:04 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
antialphabet, the growing influx of illegals has changed the quality of life in Los Angeles to have this
be considered middle class housing at over $1,000.00 a month per apartment. I took the photos (it's five blocks from where I live, and not considered "ghetto," just predominantly hispanic), I live here in Los Angeles, and know the bigger picture. Do you?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
El Paso is safe b/c the drug lords make sure their share of the crime stays on the other side of the border (away from where they themselves live and away from U.S. cops). However, there is still a lot of petty crime in El Paso.

Austin is safe as long as you don't go into the heavily populated hispanic parts of town (southeast).

Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM

378 posts, read 626,305 times
I live in a hispanic majority city and I have never had any problems with hispanics. It may LOOK unsafe where I live, but it isn't. For instance, you could easily walk around the neighborhood or town and absolutely nothing would happen. People come and go everyday without any problems.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Of course American cities are going to be safer then Mexican cities, and to compare the two is really comparing apples to oranges.
While the US law enforcement agencies may not be perfect, neither do they have the level of corruption that Mexico's has. Really, that is what it boils down to.
I do disagree that most if not all of the people being killed are in league with the drug dealers....the number is so huge that would mean a significant percentage of the people living in these border towns are living drug related lives. I would hope that is not the case.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
antialphabet, the growing influx of illegals has changed the quality of life in Los Angeles to have this
be considered middle class housing at over $1,000.00 a month per apartment. I took the photos (it's five blocks from where I live, and not considered "ghetto," just predominantly hispanic), I live here in Los Angeles, and know the bigger picture. Do you?

How long has it been since the places in those pictures were pristine?
A lot of illegals and other people at the lower end of the ladder move into not so desirable areas. Places they can afford.
Neighborhoods that are already run down.

They're not moving into the places that have a lot more money, and are a lot better maintained by the city.

It doesn't help when long time residents flee their communities at the sight of minorities, instead of staying put and maintaining their neighborhoods. Illegals are newly arrived, and settle into neighborhoods that are already neglected, because that's what they can afford.

Believe it or not, a lot of people on this forum live in Los Angeles, including myself. And I'm not sure what you mean by "the bigger picture". Possibly you mean your vantage point?

I have also seen many homes in Mexico. The city may not be maintained, the neighborhood may look like hell, but the Mexican's home will be immaculate inside.

Please don't pretend that urban decay is a phenomenon associated with Hispanic illegal aliens. There are many cases where newly arrived people have improved a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration