Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
This is not sound advice, our manufacturing facilities have been systematically dismantled and shipped abroad, we have to cling to what we have and be as competitive as possible, if the migrant workers are the only able efficient workers available, so be it, but we need to preserve
what we have left, an economy based on fast foods will not make it....
Try again: many people have underestimated the USA in the past much to their chagrin.

During the Great Depression; we suffered a lot of deterioration to our infrastructure, yet somehow, we quickly became the Arsenal of Democracy and were instrumental in taking down both Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.

Somehow; I still think we have the mojo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:44 PM

411 posts, read 468,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Try again: many people have underestimated the USA in the past much to their chagrin.

During the Great Depression; we suffered a lot of deterioration to our infrastructure, yet somehow, we quickly became the Arsenal of Democracy and were instrumental in taking down both Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan.

Somehow; I still think we have the mojo.
Are you saying that no matter how lazy and careless we become, some how we will prevail, uhmmm, I don't think so, back in the depression years
there was a big hunger to be productive and earn a living, that is by no means any longer the case, even during this tough recession do you see people trying do make a big difference, I love the USA, and I hope you are right, and magically we will continue being the strong economy we have been.....

Old 10-30-2009, 01:32 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then maybe it's time they do like the maquilas and move their operations south.
They have been moving their operations south.

Quote:
If they cannot bring themselves to pay American wages, and advertise for American workers, then move south.
How are they not paying American wages when the US federal minimum wage is currently $7.25 an hour and they are willing to offer $10 per hour? How are they not advertising for American workers when they are willing to take convicts because the average US citizen will not take the job?

Quote:
It is silly to "save" these businesses from foreign countries if all they do is hire foreigners. Then the foreigners can't live on the $3 an hour and need food stamps and free health care and housing and it costs over $12,000 per year per child in the schools here.
How would you be "saving" these businesses from foreign countries when US citizens will not take those jobs at a decent $10 an hour wage? That is the silly part.

I have never seen an illegal immigrant get paid $3.00 an hour, seriously. I think that is overly exagerated.

Going back to the original topic, I think it is worth giving these convicts a try. If they fail, we could at least say we tried.

Quote:
Still -- fewer than 1 million people work in agriculture and not all of them are illegal, around 25% may be illegal. Agricultural worker visas are not limited, there is really no excuse to bring in illegals.
I dont know where you get that statistic but around here in the town I grew up in, illegal immigrants are the ones who do the majority of the agriculture. I dont think the idea is to bring illegal immigrants to do those jobs. I think the idea is to find a legal way to bring them in to do the jobs we cant fill and allow them to take part in our society.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<I doubt many ex-felons will be taking those jobs. It will not be a win-win for anyone.>>

It would be good for those who want to work, and get their lives straightened out, but for those who want the fast buck with no work, $100.00 an hour isn't going to impress them when they can make 5 or 6 times that amount, or more, robbing people, or selling drugs. That's why most of them are ex-felons. They didn't want to work for what they got.
I agree Jayarcy. Like I said, I think its worth a try but for some reason I'm not really trusting this idea simply because of what I explained with the ex felons from Cali going to work for the Oil refineries.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Are they paying all of their taxes on that $21.00 an hour?
The answer to your question is, "YES". They do pay taxes on every level. All they have to do is either get a made up social security number or their employer will get it for them sometimes and social security does not complain. Those that get paid in cash are paid a lot less. One of my college friends is an accountant, is in charge of calculating hours and doing checks. That is how I know.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
"Who" will WATCH the inmates??? I damn sure wouldn't want people in my fields that I can't trust. And I wouldn't confident enough with just one handgun in my pocket against a group of them.
It is possible to trust them when they are not handling money, expensive equipment or important data/information. Its manual work and you also have to take into consideration the type of crime. If it is drug use, gang activity, etc. They most likely will not mess with you.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:01 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
It's the first time I hear of someone getting paid by the day. Here in California, you get paid by the box, the bucket, the load, etc or the hour. For example, in Napa, grape pickers get paid by the truck load. Then they distribute the total among all workers. If they work individually, I have seen some grape pickers get paid up to $21.00 an hour. Many are not even legal but there is no competition. American citizens will not take those jobs either. Those picking raspberries are paid by the bucket. Each can is about the size of a large can of coffee. I dont know how much they pay now but I used to get paid $3.00 per can. Getting paid by the day is not the norm. At least not here in California.
Is this how they make $21.00 an hour? I thought they had family values...I guess slave child labor comes under the heading of family values!

ABC New Investigation: The Blueberry Children

Young Children Working in Blueberry Fields, Walmart Severs Ties to Large Grower - ABC News

Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
Quote:
The answer to your question is, "YES". They do pay taxes on every level. All they have to do is either get a made up social security number or their employer will get it for them sometimes and social security does not complain. Those that get paid in cash are paid a lot less. One of my college friends is an accountant, is in charge of calculating hours and doing checks. That is how I know.
One makes $21.00 and hour and the others work under the table for less, is that what you are saying ?

The one making $21.00 must be the cover to show the IRS...

You are saying to different things here...

You do know your friend is helping to commit a crime and is themself committing one.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

The vast majority, use fake SS to only be working as labeled "Subcontractors", basically misclassified employees, to skate around the laws.
A very small %, work as employees.

When that happens, Federal and state taxes are not paid. Social Security is not paid, workmans comp is not paid, nor is unemployment insurance paid on said employees, labeled subcontractor.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:04 PM

411 posts, read 468,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The vast majority, use fake SS to only be working as labeled "Subcontractors", basically misclassified employees, to skate around the laws.
A very small %, work as employees.

When that happens, Federal and state taxes are not paid. Social Security is not paid, workmans comp is not paid, nor is unemployment insurance paid on said employees, labeled subcontractor.

This is true in many cases, it is true for many immirant workers as it is
for millions of us citizens that work for small business america, now remember, in the end most of these workers would end up receiving
a check at the end of the year for child income credit, also many pay
FICA taxes and never receive a penny in return, for this reason they
do not make a negative fiscal impact. I understand people being against
undocumented workers, but lets keep the facts straight......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration