Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 08:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Obviously, you don’t realize the profits the greedy employers reap from their illegal workforce are not shared with consumers. After all, they ARE greedy, and greedy people tend to also be selfish.

If anything, we will have less salmonella and other outbreaks from illegals relieving themselves on our crops. Perhaps you haven’t noticed there hasn’t been a decline in food prices. I don’t know about your region of the country, but in my area, prices, including fruit and veggies, continue to climb. If we were truly benefiting from massive cheap labor, lettuce would cost $.05 a head.
Many advocates of legalizing illegals either have chosen to ignore this or feel that the savings are passed on.
For the sake of argument lets assume that these employers simply divert the savings to cover other additional costs. I can almost buy into that notion . One problem. Take dairy farmers for example. Why does Milk cost the same even when produced on farms that use illegal labor?
Why do houses cost the same that were built using illegal labor as do those built using honest contractors? My house for example. I ran off a mason that used illegals, my foundation cost the same in the end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
The propaganda machine...."if not for illegals picking your fruits and veggies you would be paying $8.00 a lb for your tomatoes", blah, blah, blah. All the while they ignore that there are unlimited visas available for the farmers to import legal foreign workers to pick crops.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Anderson Hardwood uses inmates to make some of their wood flooring.

It works for them, while manufacturers like Mohawk, have used illegal aliens to produce their flooring.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
To an extent they are, much of how to an extent Walmart's prices are lower. It really does depend on the demographic and the item.

That's not a given. Salmonella and illegal immigration do not go hand in hand. There has been a slight decline in food prices nationally, due to the recession.

To be fair, there is much speculation, on both sides, considering illegal immigrants and farming.
I believe Walmart’s prices are lower primarily due to them importing cheap goods from China. However, most prices have skyrocketed over the last several years. Retailers don’t have much choice now given our current economic climate. They have to lower prices if they want to sell their goods. Had our economy not tanked, they would still be charging high prices, despite employing illegal aliens.

Have you compared your grocery bill from today to that of two years ago? I have, and it’s astounding. I can’t shop for groceries and spend less than $250, unless I’m just buying a few items. I have paid as much as $400 at the grocery store, and I only have one child to feed. Granted, I do buy extras because he’s a teenager, and his friends come here on a regular basis, but it’s still ridiculous.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Have you compared your grocery bill from today to that of two years ago? I have, and it’s astounding. I can’t shop for groceries and spend less than $250, unless I’m just buying a few items. I have paid as much as $400 at the grocery store, and I only have one child to feed. Granted, I do buy extras because he’s a teenager, and his friends come here on a regular basis, but it’s still ridiculous.

I hear ya! We go about every 2-3 weeks and it is $250 minimum. My daughter is 12. I feed the neighborhood kids, too.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Same here. I am retired and only have to feed myself and my spouse but I spend nearlly 100 bucks a week on groceries. Prices have risen substantially over the years including fruits and veggies which the pro-illegals claim we are saving money on if they were picked by illegals. Yeah, right!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 AM

309 posts, read 427,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Same here. I am retired and only have to feed myself and my spouse but I spend nearlly 100 bucks a week on groceries. Prices have risen substantially over the years including fruits and veggies which the pro-illegals claim we are saving money on if they were picked by illegals. Yeah, right!

As I've said on another forum, here in Colorado the oranges we bought came from South Africa, (NOT CA, AZ or FL), the cherry tomatoes came from Mexico and the bell peppers came from Canada. Not a single piece of fruit or vegetable came from anywhere in this country. How do we even know hiring illegals in this country keeps prices low? You can't buy any fruit or veggies produced in this country which is why we started going to Whole Foods because they support the local farmers whenever possible. I mean seriously? Oranges all the way from South Africa? Are you kidding me?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 PM

411 posts, read 468,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBorn View Post
As I've said on another forum, here in Colorado the oranges we bought came from South Africa, (NOT CA, AZ or FL), the cherry tomatoes came from Mexico and the bell peppers came from Canada. Not a single piece of fruit or vegetable came from anywhere in this country. How do we even know hiring illegals in this country keeps prices low? You can't buy any fruit or veggies produced in this country which is why we started going to Whole Foods because they support the local farmers whenever possible. I mean seriously? Oranges all the way from South Africa? Are you kidding me?

Not as simple as picking a few crops, agriculture continues being the most important sector in the United States economy, and farms from Vermont to so. Ca rely heavily on migrant workers. To trivialize this economic sector is very risky mostly in view of the exodus of so many manufacturing jobs, we can not rely on an economy based on fast food joints....

Old 11-20-2009, 12:29 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Not as simple as picking a few crops, agriculture continues being the most important sector in the United States economy, and farms from Vermont to so. Ca rely heavily on migrant workers. To trivialize this economic sector is very risky mostly in view of the exodus of so many manufacturing jobs, we can not rely on an economy based on fast food joints....
I completely agree. Many areas in California are largely agricultural sectors. Many hire illegal immigrants to do the job. If we were to remove those immigrants, California would seriously go down hill. We would then be forced to buy ALL our produce from foreign countries.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I completely agree. Many areas in California are largely agricultural sectors. Many hire illegal immigrants to do the job. If we were to remove those immigrants, California would seriously go down hill. We would then be forced to buy ALL our produce from foreign countries.
That I find hard to believe. Even Cesar Chavez was hostile towards illegal aliens------------to the point he supported raids by the old INS (now ICE) against same.

So food prices rise a bit since the employers would have to pay Americans/green card holders appropriate wages; I am not that concerned about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration