Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
It's been doing it for several decades. If not more than a century.

You can't distinguish ethnic pride from allegiance to a country?
A century ago: 'Hispanics' in the USA were quite rare-----------most Americans with at least part Spanish lineage then self identified as simply 'American'.

Note too overseas an American 'Hispanic' or Anglo would simply be considered American................

Flip side: Jose Gonzalez; the Swedish folk singer (born/raised in Sweden) would not count as 'Hispanic' for obvious reasons--------but would be a Swede.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
A century ago: 'Hispanics' in the USA were quite rare-----------most Americans with at least part Spanish lineage then self identified as simply 'American'.
I'm talking about the many people besides Hispanics who have had ethnic pride.
Even today Hispanics identify as American.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 PM

87 posts, read 129,624 times
Quote:
TIME TO DO A SWEEP!

""A number of folks who are coming up -- documented or undocumented -- are finding jobs," said Enrique Figueroa, director of the Roberto Hernandez Center at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee."

"The Detroit neighborhood is known as "Mexican Town"

"I feel like I'm at home," she said. "I go to get a haircut, I speak Spanish."

Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereignty View Post
TIME TO DO A SWEEP!

""A number of folks who are coming up -- documented or undocumented -- are finding jobs," said Enrique Figueroa, director of the Roberto Hernandez Center at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee."

"The Detroit neighborhood is known as "Mexican Town"

"I feel like I'm at home," she said. "I go to get a haircut, I speak Spanish."
They tend to invade poverty stricken areas, towns and cities that have been left for dead by Americans (L.A., New Orleans) and rebuild them into the spanish speaking barrios/cesspools that they love and miss so dearly.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
They tend to invade towns and cities that have been left for dead by Americans (New Orleans) and rebuild them into the spanish speaking barrios/cesspools that they love and miss so dearly.
How cruel! Why can't they just leave them abandoned!?

Mod cut, can you turn a cesspool into a cesspool?

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 01-03-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 06:10 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,327 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like they are going the route of many asian immigrants. Forming their own Koreatown/Chinatown/Little Tokyo/Little Saigon or something like the old Little Italy.

Does the concept really seem new to you?

I think it's a good thing, because in their own brand new neighborhood, they are forming jobs for themselves.
i from the detroit area. the place they are talking about is called mexicantown and has been there for a long time. the area is bad, but certainly not as bad as a lot of other areas in detroit. i used to work there all the time installing satellite dishes. a lot of the people were nice, and they kept there houses in reasonable order. a lot of them, maybe even most of them do not speak english. i personally have no problem with legal aliens moving to these areas. i do however have a problem with illegal aliens. another issue i have is that they drive the wages down. they work for very little and pack a ton of them in a small house. i've seen it for myself. 6 grown men live in a 12 by 12 bedroom. 3 people live in another room etc. also, they live in slums they may or may not be tear down worthy buildings. i appreciate there work ethic but, i dont want any illigals that are hurting our economy.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
when latinos and koreans do this, turn straw into gold, its gota hurt to watch for the AA.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when latinos and koreans do this, turn straw into gold, its gota hurt to watch for the AA.
The plan for success of an ethnic group has been demonstrated by Asian communities time and time again. As a community, you have to be self-sufficient. That's where the success lies.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,620 times
Quote:
The plan for success of an ethnic group has been demonstrated by Asian communities time and time again. As a community, you have to be self-sufficient. That's where the success lies
Why do you think Hispanics not seen as model minorities the same way Asians are ?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Why do you think Hispanics not seen as model minorities the same way Asians are ?
It is too bad your question will be lost when this thread is locked.

The biggest difference between the two groups is the importance placed on education, IMO. Also, marching in the streets, burning flags, trash talking about the US and saying that the gringo stole your land is not going to win you any points with the citizens of the US. Neither is sneaking in illegally then demanding to be allowed to stay. And the hispanic citizens who defend those illegally here are just as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration