Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,420,681 times

Advertisements

About every six months the population of the U.S. increases about as much as the population of Tallahassee. Who are these hundreds of thousands of new citizens? They are newborns, children of illegal aliens (http://www2.hernandotoday.com/topic/k/illegal-aliens/ - broken link) born in the United States - birthright (http://www2.hernandotoday.com/topic/k/birthright/ - broken link) citizens, "anchor babies" - not illegal aliens. This quirky legal right then allows the mother's parents and siblings to remain, and later a whole bunch of their relatives to immigrate legally. This why they are also known as "Jackpot babies." Just consider Parkland Memorial Hospital (http://www2.hernandotoday.com/topic/k/parkland-memorial-hospital/ - broken link) in Dallas, the second busiest maternity ward (http://www2.hernandotoday.com/topic/k/maternity-ward/ - broken link) in the U.S. In 2006, 70 percent of the women giving birth (http://www2.hernandotoday.com/topic/k/women-giving-birth/ - broken link) in Parkland were illegal immigrants. That added up to 11,200 babies for which Medicaid kicked in $34.5 million to deliver these babies, the feds (http://www2.hernandotoday.com/topic/k/feds/ - broken link) another $9.5 million and Dallas taxpayers tossed in $31.3 million. The average illegal patient is 25 years old and giving birth to her second anchor baby. We could also talk about California, but you get the point.

Anchor Babies Weigh Down Economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:27 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,675,832 times
i love when such reputable sources use words like "anchor babies", reminds me of when they used to use "tar baby" for dramatic effect. or when they used to use words like *****ninny when referring to the children of slaves or africans.

thats how you know its a reputable source!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,288,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i love when such reputable sources use words like "anchor babies", reminds me of when they used to use "tar baby" for dramatic effect. or when they used to use words like *****ninny when referring to the children of slaves or africans.

I agree. These terms are slurs, and we all know what group they're talking about,

Ever hear the child of a Chinese or Korean illegal be referred to as an anchor baby?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,675,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I agree. These terms are slurs, and we all know what group they're talking about,

Ever hear the child of a Chinese or Korean illegal be referred to as an anchor baby?
i cant write pick a ninny?

whats a *****?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

Quote:

As far as I am concerned: an Anchor Baby is one with both parents here illegally irrespective of race/ethnicity-----------even if the parents were Nordic White Mexicans with NO Indian heritage. So there goes you guys' pathetic attempts at race-baiting.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 PM

50,464 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Quote:

Too bad Mexico doesn't have to deal with this problem huh? I have heard many derogatory terms for S Americans coming into Mexico. I'm sure you have too.

Care to share?

Old 01-08-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As far as I am concerned: an Anchor Baby is one with both parents here illegally irrespective of race/ethnicity-----------even if the parents were Nordic White Mexicans with NO Indian heritage. So there goes you guys' pathetic attempts at race-baiting.
Agreed.

Quote:
LA VOZ DE AZTLAN
Los Angeles, Alta California
July 24, 2007

Anchor Baby Power

La Voz de Aztlan has produced a video in honor of the millions of babies that have been born as US citizens to Mexican undocumented parents. These babies are destined to transform America. The nativist CNN reporter Lou Dobbs estimates that there are over 200,000 "Anchor Babies" born every year whereas George Putnam, a radio reporter, says the figure is closer to 300,000. La Voz de Aztlan believes that the number is approximately 500,000 "Anchor Babies" born every year. The video below depicts the many faces of the "Anchor Baby Generation". The video includes a fascinating segment showing a group of elementary school children in Santa Ana, California confronting the Minutemen vigilantes. The video ends with a now famous statement by Professor Jose Angel Gutierrez of the University of Texas at Austin.
PROJECT AMIGOS

Anchor Baby Power

Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM

103 posts, read 186,870 times
So, when I was a medical student at UC San Diego, we experienced a great deal of the same. I'm really happy to deliver their babies; but it would seem as though the appropriate action thereafter, is to receive appropriate payment for services, followed by a visit from the INS and prompt deportation to Mexico, and a lack of declaring the newest person born in the U.S. a U.S. Citizen.

It is remarkable, the foolishness of making a baby a U.S. citizen based upon the parent's ability to successfully evade legal crossing of the border. I don't believe too many other countries in the world take such a foolish approach.

The effects thereafter of services and legal rights being extended to people who were never in the U.S. legally to begin with, is just remarkable. If laws were written rationally and the application thereof was rational; I'm happy to deliver their baby if they so happen to be "visiting" San Diego on the day of labor; however, making this event an event free of cost, making the newest U.S. citizen and allowing the rest of the family in, just shows the irrationality of how immigration is dealt with in the U.S.

Having recently moved to Australia, it is interesting to experience a society serious about only accepting people who add value to their country. After completing med school in the U.S., residency and 10 years of Emergency Medicine practice; I still have to prove my value to emmigrate. Lots of paperwork, lots of effort and lots of work. This is for skilled and needed labor into a rational country. Why can't the U.S. adopt a rational approach.

The rational approach is simple; If a given individual has significant skills and education that is both needed and lacking in the U.S.; allow them to immigrate. If there is no such situation, then we need to decline admission to the U.S. I don't understand why this is so complex. Most countries do not have such a challenge with such a simple concept. The proximity of the U.S. to Mexico and the lack of enforcing a border has led to weakness in policy and instead of working in rational ways to enforce a policy, folks have thrown their hands up and said just let everyone in.

This is not good public policy, it isn't in support of maintaining laws and it is wrong. For folks who think that anyone who wants a better financial situation should be allowed to move, regardless of skills or ability to benefit society; I can only wish that they could experience what that situation would look like. We only see a limited application of that situation as the U.S. only borders one disadvantaged society; and we are in receipt of their citizens that are not making adequate income within their given societies.

In the hospital system; I'm still scratching my head on why hospitals do not file a law suit against the federal government as they sustain massive costs that are threatening any reasonable financial model, based upon federal mandates to provide care; while at the same time, the federal government fails to protect the hospital system from being flooded with people who are not here legally and have virtually no likelihood of paying their bills (or taxes for that matter).

America can support it's regular homegrown mentally challenged dependant or poorly motivated citizens; the problem is that importing a huge number of people with little skills, likely quite average (or less than) IQ's who maximally reproduce and use public resources is not consistent with an upgrade to the American system.

Taking the best and brightest from elsewhere in the world is great. We are failing here.

I wish the U.S. the best; but failure to address this issue in a rational manner is going to hurt everyone. Mass deportation at this point would be a blessing to all. There is no excuse for white guys to not be mowing lawns -- I know my lawn is mowed by a white guy -- because this is what the Australian economy supports. He pays his taxes, lives in this society, the money stays here. There is no excuse for the U.S. not being the same. I could care less if it is an Asian, Hispanic or any other race -- the issue is that this person is a member of society, paying into the system, supporting the system and not an aberration.

So the people that come to the U.S. and have babies -- why aren't they citizens of their homeland? Are we really that stupid? Why isn't the medical care followed by return to their homeland? I just don't know what we are thinking.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
To BigDaddyG:

Possibly the main reason that the Land of Oz does not have to deal with large numbers of illegal aliens is the ocean is quite the deterrent--------no fence necessary.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyG View Post
So, when I was a medical student at UC San Diego, we experienced a great deal of the same. I'm really happy to deliver their babies; but it would seem as though the appropriate action thereafter, is to receive appropriate payment for services, followed by a visit from the INS and prompt deportation to Mexico, and a lack of declaring the newest person born in the U.S. a U.S. Citizen.

It is remarkable, the foolishness of making a baby a U.S. citizen based upon the parent's ability to successfully evade legal crossing of the border. I don't believe too many other countries in the world take such a foolish approach.

The effects thereafter of services and legal rights being extended to people who were never in the U.S. legally to begin with, is just remarkable. If laws were written rationally and the application thereof was rational; I'm happy to deliver their baby if they so happen to be "visiting" San Diego on the day of labor; however, making this event an event free of cost, making the newest U.S. citizen and allowing the rest of the family in, just shows the irrationality of how immigration is dealt with in the U.S.

Having recently moved to Australia, it is interesting to experience a society serious about only accepting people who add value to their country. After completing med school in the U.S., residency and 10 years of Emergency Medicine practice; I still have to prove my value to emmigrate. Lots of paperwork, lots of effort and lots of work. This is for skilled and needed labor into a rational country. Why can't the U.S. adopt a rational approach.

The rational approach is simple; If a given individual has significant skills and education that is both needed and lacking in the U.S.; allow them to immigrate. If there is no such situation, then we need to decline admission to the U.S. I don't understand why this is so complex. Most countries do not have such a challenge with such a simple concept. The proximity of the U.S. to Mexico and the lack of enforcing a border has led to weakness in policy and instead of working in rational ways to enforce a policy, folks have thrown their hands up and said just let everyone in.

This is not good public policy, it isn't in support of maintaining laws and it is wrong. For folks who think that anyone who wants a better financial situation should be allowed to move, regardless of skills or ability to benefit society; I can only wish that they could experience what that situation would look like. We only see a limited application of that situation as the U.S. only borders one disadvantaged society; and we are in receipt of their citizens that are not making adequate income within their given societies.

In the hospital system; I'm still scratching my head on why hospitals do not file a law suit against the federal government as they sustain massive costs that are threatening any reasonable financial model, based upon federal mandates to provide care; while at the same time, the federal government fails to protect the hospital system from being flooded with people who are not here legally and have virtually no likelihood of paying their bills (or taxes for that matter).

America can support it's regular homegrown mentally challenged dependant or poorly motivated citizens; the problem is that importing a huge number of people with little skills, likely quite average (or less than) IQ's who maximally reproduce and use public resources is not consistent with an upgrade to the American system.

Taking the best and brightest from elsewhere in the world is great. We are failing here.

I wish the U.S. the best; but failure to address this issue in a rational manner is going to hurt everyone. Mass deportation at this point would be a blessing to all. There is no excuse for white guys to not be mowing lawns -- I know my lawn is mowed by a white guy -- because this is what the Australian economy supports. He pays his taxes, lives in this society, the money stays here. There is no excuse for the U.S. not being the same. I could care less if it is an Asian, Hispanic or any other race -- the issue is that this person is a member of society, paying into the system, supporting the system and not an aberration.

So the people that come to the U.S. and have babies -- why aren't they citizens of their homeland? Are we really that stupid? Why isn't the medical care followed by return to their homeland? I just don't know what we are thinking.
Excellent post, it is my honor to rep you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration